2 or 3 axle cassette’s?

@bryanspeed , I have always used either a Tillett T8 or T11. The one pictured above is a T11. I have the pedals adjusted to the max length possible.

The black kart. Circa 2021. Tillett T11. Standard pedal location… legs are bent but it’s very comfortable and I have plenty of room between my knees and steering.

Blue and silver kart (circa 2006 @ New Castle 17 years old 6’1 180lbs) Tillett T8 with extended porch. Notice how my feet are pigeoned out. Legs are stretched out, and to me wasn’t comfortable.

According to my notes I’ve salvaged, the seats are mounted In identical locations in both karts. The difference is the T11 allows me to be down in the kart more and at a reclined angle. Both karts are almost similar in weight distribution…

I get that was 15 years ago. The blue/silver kart was a 2004 model…

The black one I currently race is an 05/06 model. So I’m not comparing a 2005 to a 2020 kart.

Sorry for the winded post! Just trying to give some insight from a taller/heavier driver

2 Likes

Thanks that is very useful info !

1 Like

We have third bearing on but it is not tightened with the bolt so it is not stressed- we run the yellow hard Maxxis and a medium OEM axle… for the front we took in the front wheels 1 small ring and have sway bar full stiff… we run a Blueprinted CMC Briggs WF that is on a PM slider mound almost directly above rails after the seat strut removal/modifications I do… that’s the set up we do for a Tony Kart 401 R…

Were you able to get any results on this?

If not, no worries. I’ll run the experiment at some point.

In 420cc 4 stroke (25whp/32wtq) I always had 3 cassette on the kart but ran all 3 fully bolted in maybe 1/2 the time. Sometimes the 3rd would be zip tied especially in high grip conditions where you would pick up a push on entry. We ran front brakes however and that allows for much more significant weight transfer on low speed corners and without front brakes the same kart/chassis/engine never ran the 3rd bearing. We tested the kart Both ways as front brakes also came with a 10lbs penalty. The way you drive corners changes with brakes IMHO and that seemed to have a big effect on the use of the 3rd bearing. Its worth noting, that running the 3rd bearing seems to allow a harder and earlier application of throttle.

Just my .02

1 Like