2022 USPKS Race 2

USPKS released this statement today

After spending a good amount of time discussing the track layout for the upcoming event at GoPro Motorplex with a number with competitors and teams, the overwhelming feedback was that running anything but the traditional National Track that we have been using, would be a mistake. Therefore, that will be the layout for the #CarolinaGP this year. Thanks for the feedback and we’ll see you all in one month from today! #moveuptouspks MG Tires USA IAME USA East Louisiana Grills

1 Like

I think it’s more fun using all the run-off.

But I know many would like to see enforcement of track limits a bit more at GoPro. The series is discussing it I know.

1 Like

It was so windy at the club race the other week that ALL barriers were removed so they didn’t randomly blow onto the track. That eliminated T2 and we were basically 90% throttle through T1 and hauling down back stretch. There is only about a 6’ gap in the curb at pit lane exit that you had the thread the needle, otherwise you were catching air. I wasn’t sure how the racing would be at first but it sure was fun and a different challenge

i remember this in ka we were taking t1 easy flat and 3 was very sketchy but it opened up 4 as a easy passing opportunity it also made it harder to check out with the incresed draft.

I guess I’ll leak something I started working on last night, bearing in mind I haven’t gotten this approved by anyone yet :joy:

I’ll probably clarify that all other exit runoff that isn’t explicitly mentioned is permitted.

1 Like

are these the track limits we normally have for the club races?

Pretty much (when the barriers aren’t pulled away), just drawing the line in the sand.

But why? I don’t understand why the push to not allow the run-off, we’ve all been running it that way for years. And how do you police this?

And if you don’t enforce it as the white line everywhere, you may as well not enforce it at all. This is where F1 has been having massive confusion and issues for the past couple seasons, because the white line isn’t always the limit.

Sorry for the potato quality, but I was just running through my on-board from GoPro 2018 to see where I go over the line:
Turn 2

Turn 4

Double Lefts

Exit of hairpin

Final corner

n

Am I getting dinged for track limit violations in every corner then?

This is a first draft. Just bringing it up since Paul had mentioned it earlier. My intent is to not have Turn 2 be a total free-for-all. From those that said anything to me, having T2 wide open was pretty unpopular last year. Had to remove the barriers there for the first 2 club races this year and got a lot of ire from drivers in all classes. My general policy is track extending good, track cutting bad, if that makes sense? And I consider T2 a track cut, not a track extension.

Also trying to maintain some sort of consistency since we called 16 track cuts at Orlando.

I think trying to dictate track limits is over complicating a problem that can merely be solved by placing a physical structure where you don’t want drivers to go. Gravel/barrier/giant curb/etc…otherwise it’s fair game.

Do you really want to add enforcement of track limits to your plate while there’s still room for improvement with enforcement of on-track driver conduct?

2 Likes

I think this position makes sense.

2 Likes

Yep, I’m hoping to set the barriers (or something) there like shown in one of TJ’s screenshots. It’s a pain in the ass, but with how I expect Road America to go, it needs to be addressed on top of everything else.

Let me preface this by saying that I’m a rookie with one race at Go Pro under my belt. But in that race I ate the barrier at turn 2 because it wasn’t there on the formation lap and then it was moved into place as we were coming around and I wasn’t expecting it to be there.

1. Consistency. I would say that if you need to use some marking paint or something to ensure the barriers go back in the same spot every time they are moved, that would be great. I hate when they are in a different spot every session because the corner worker is doing their best to guess the spot they go.

2. This may be more relevant for club races, but I would prefer the surface designed for racing be the surface used for racing. It really sucks to know that I’m throwing the bottom of my chassis across curbs because it’s the only way to be fast. Especially as a budget racer.

1 Like

there already is paint and i would say the marshals are quite consistent you also have to remember they only have 15-20 seconds until they have to leave the racing surface because the leaders are coming around again

invest in some chassis savers they definitely help

I’ll add this to my drivers’ meeting notes, this was something they did at their club races before I was hired. I’m still not sure if I like it or not.

I thought there was, but maybe it got washed off or something. I can make this happen pretty easily.

I get it, but like I said, my general position is that track extending is fine. Until we start going the way of Club 100, where they come down that harshly on track limits, I only want to deal with those that are actually cheating the circuit. Get some frame protectors if you haven’t already, they do a good job.

Also, appreciate the feedback. Don’t be afraid to talk to me the next time you swing by if something’s on your mind :call_me_hand:

I totally appreciate it. Thanks! It was just really confusing to me because I think the sporting code specifically says “runoff areas are not part of the racing surface”. I just don’t like grey areas personally. I’m definitely still learning! Maybe I’ll have a different opinion after more racing. Haha.

I did get some frame protectors. I guess I’m also concerned about the overall “health” of the kart, seat, axle, etc.

This is getting into a totally different discussion unrelated to “2022 USPKS Race 2” haha. Sorry.

I am cool with the std layout. For me, this was more an attempt to make it different while keeping the essence and character of track.

Two considerations:

• the Purist in me would like to drive it the way it was originally intended

• it feels a bit like cheating using all the run-off and it would make it more challenging

1 Like