So I find it super annoying that sprocket carrier and rear hubs are so difficult to remove. They all tend to gall or deposit aluminum on axle requiring force or spreading hub to remove. I hate beating on things with hammer. I generally spread the hub by inserting bolt in reverse and putting a wedge in hub and screwing bolt against wedge to spread hub. Not the fastest way to change things trackside.
Anyone have any luck on better way to prep parts to aid removal? I was thinking of apply some sort of dry/drying spray graphite on axle where hubs and sprocket carrier mount.
If I have any burrs on the axle, a file or emery cloth does a good job getting most of it off usually. And if the hub is burred on the inside, a quick sanding with a drill and ball hone cleans it up brilliantly.
For spreading hubs and carriers, I typically just pound a fat flathead screwdriver in the gap rather than screwing the bolt against a wedge. It’s a little faster.
And I always coat my axles with WD40 both when they go in and when they come out.
I don’t have issues with axles. Others do. I have had fits trying to remove parts on used kart and decided I didn’t want to live like that.
What I do:
Debur everything and chamfer sharp edges on all hubs and carriers. Same for axles if not done well enough at factory. Remove any high spots if detected. This can take up to 5-15-30 minutes a hub including the outside. It also removes sharp edged that can cut you. (my CRG hubs were bad about this) Do it in the off season if time is an issue. I use files, sandpaper, deburring tools, scraper, knife or whatever works in a spot.
I also use anti-seize or some other form of lube when assembling, even under keyways. I never lose hubs and don’t need to pound parts on & off. If you need to force parts on that is not a good sign, it ain’t gonna get easier coming off.
I truly believe burs are a big percentage of the problems with getting bound and even in losing wheels during a race. Anyway it works for me.
I’ve found that as the others said religiously deburring everything helps prevent issues.
Be militant about it. Utilize scotch bright or light sand paper, or a file. I find radially sanding the axle bearing surfaces with Emory cloth (in direction of rotation, not in direction of sliding axle in and out) makes a huge difference in putting in or removing axles.
Another product I use is amsoil MP metal protector, after I use WD40 to clean and coat an axle once done filing. That helps prevent little bits of dust cling to the axle which causes burrs.