Starting Out in Karting Seattle WA Area

Understood and we will be careful to stay out of the way. We have a lot to take n and keep us busy, we are going to be in the stands cheering you to victory, and Good Luck and God Speed​:sparkles::dove::revolving_hearts:
:footprints::cowboy_hat_face:Scout​:candle: :spades: :sparkles::checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash:

:speaking_head::circus_tent:R.B.& B.:microphone: Barker

1 Like

Hahaha. It’s nothing that serious.
It’s just that when I’m at the races on a race day, I’m focusing on racing. :wink: No surprise

We’ll get hooked up some day over Sunday. See you then.

The SIMA event is this Sat, 10/13. Might be coming up to watch, maybe meet some of you in the real world.

If @Ddc410 is planning to be there, maybe you two can hook up/ @WheelSpin

I am new also, just did my first race weekend 1, and 1/2 weeks ago at PSGKA. @DavinRS has been great to have around (especially on your first race weekend).

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, are both races Tacoma and CIMA are basically on same schedule, I could go to time Trails on Saturday at CIMA and go to the race in Tacoma on Sunday, or did I miss something? :cowboy_hat_face:Scout©:orthodox_cross::yin_yang::menorah::peace_symbol::place_of_worship: :spades:
:vertical_traffic_light::motorway::white_flag::checkered_flag::bullettrain_side:

Club race for SIMA is on Saturday.
PSGKA is on Sunday.

Are the charges for observing the pit area around $15.00 per person or is it open to the public? Thanks DavinRS​:facepunch:t4::+1:t4: Oh Thanks for the letters on training, etc., It was very insightful

Charles,
Normally pit access requires a wristband and thus the 15 bucks. I think it’s mostly to keep folks out of the pit lane where they might get their toes run over.

What are they known by name or is 206 the proper name, sorry if that sounds dumb but I do not know? I am just checking out as much YouTube data on Karting that I can get. I am planning on working myself into shape with my Son who desires to do the same thing as I, we have a 11 year old, 14 year old granddaughter, 17 year old grandson, my 23 year old son, my wife wants to just have fun during the free track practice time and Myself.

Our idea is to join the Tacoma club pay the annual fees for practice track time. I plan on continuing to work conditioning, I was going to learn the Shifter over time not on the track with competent other drivers until I am competent and competitive. The problem I see is training, I will put in the training time, gym time and expand my knowledge knowledge. It will take me a year to get to where I need to be and in the mean time I was going to train. But the other problem is picking up bad driving habits during training on my own. Everyone has their own issues to contend with without spoon feeding me. So, I will learn the old fashioned way, by making mistakes.

I am in it for fun and I do not do anything half A_ _. Plus, I do not want to be the “That Driver” everyone hates to see coming. I have had nothing but great experiences thus far with very friendly, colorful drivers, people are kind and open AND Busy, therefore, when I start racing, I will have my stuff together. There is only one way to learn certain things and that’s by actually racing not just by praticing/training alone. I wish to thank everyone for their comments and I am diffinantly am taking the advice very seriously, for I do not want to hurt myself or others by thinking I am something that I am not.

I do have a deep yearning become very good and competent or I will not get into races just have fun practicing, sooner or later I will pickup the neauances involved. Thanks for the comments, good advice and your experiences shared is appreciated. :vertical_traffic_light::checkered_flag::motorway: :dove::cowboy_hat_face:Scout​:spades:

Once you get going it becomes a lot less baffling!

Also, once you get to the track on Sunday, I’ll introduce you to Doug Huggler, who runs Huggler Racing, and the pits I race out of.

He can also help you getting started.

Charles,
On the conditioning bit, you don’t need big muscles or anything like that. What you will need is aerobic conditioning. That’s where karting gets you.

The way I like to think of it is, “Can I run/swim/bike for 15min at 85-90% of my max with the ability to draw 100% in bursts?”

Muscles are useful too, but the sport will build them for you. Problem is, if you are like me, you get to kart one weekend a month. So, to keep my gains from race weekends I also work in a bit of light weight/resistance training 3 days a week. Pushups, sit-ups and a few exercises with 15lb dumbbells. Maybe 20 mins total. Then 15 mins treadmill walking. That’s it.

I can go about 20mins full chuff now. Which is enough for any race.

Edit: there’s a lot of walking and lifting involved in karting too. Be sure to bring a foldable chair or two so you don’t have to be on your feet all day long. Pretty much anyone who does this on their own also has a pop up awning thing for shade. Hydration and shade are critical when you are participating in a race weekend.

1 Like

@Dom Thanks for the info on exercising. I have a ways to go and this is where I am really at. I have family who wants to get involved and I love the sport, so why not. I am way over weight to be competitive and I know this. I also am out of shape to the point I will have to work on many aspects.

I am a Mental Health Therapist and was assaulted physically by an inmate with a shank in both hands, threatening to kill. I really injured L-1 through L-5 have been damaged badly. So, I have another issue to overcome. I know I have the fortitude to do what is needed to be done if I am effectively motivated and I have that.

I have a burning inside to get competent and then let Err rip! I do not expect to race for a year or more and while I am physically doing my thing, I can gain track practice time and work on pointers other drivers can give me. I am determined on chasing you guys down and just maybe one day give you guys a good race, @Bimodal_Rocket, @DavinRS. :joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::nerd_face::man_student:t4::footprints::spades::sparkles::dove::cowboy_hat_face::racing_car::dash::checkered_flag:

Interesting. A guy I worked with had the same issue. He was a prison guard and an inmate tried to strangle him to death. He, however, got sued by the inmate because he (the guard) had the gall to defend himself and came out of this with the upper hand. Ugh. Sorry for your troubles and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Sounds like you are motivated in all the right ways and will undoubtedly make quick work of getting up to speed while having fun doing it.

Thanks Dom, it is a life time issue, I am use to the pain and aware of how taxing the Kart racing experience can be. Thusly, the year preparing my body for this and this is a major incentive, motivator for me, everyone needs motivation in some form or another and mine is this.:cowboy_hat_face::spades::+1:t4:

Can some one help me out, for I am and my family are newbies to Kart Racing, we know very little about class and engine structure for my area the greater Seattle area. I understabd that miss takes I make will be amplified exponentially; therefore, making it an imparative to be on point.

The discussion here speaks to engine sizes, types, ext., That each area presents. What are some paramiteres I must be in compliance to race road races and maybe Sprint down range. I have the following ages involved, 23 year old Son, Joshua, 17 year old Grandson, Xavier, 14 year old Granddaughter Lailah, 11 year old family, Jonas, will be doing competitive racing. My Wife

Constance, and myself will be running practice track time for fun and after I am in shape to compete I will. Three generations of one family entering Kart racing to compete competent ly requires more knowledge then I have. I really need the knowledge of types of engines,

We need to be focusing on and how much modifications can you make. I am concerned about financing a family adventure like this, however, anything you put your life on the line for, must be taken seriously and use only quality top performance parts and equipment that has the best safety features out their, i.e., proper racing gear, helmits, suits, gloves, etc.

Now the costs starts to increase big time. So, I can not afford to make mistakes because I am taking Karting very serious and will not let my family on the track with less then the best out there. I owe that to them because it just may be, because we used high quality products we have midigated injuries greatly?

Sorry this is so long, I just needed you to have a better understanding of my situation to formulate a more percise plan? Thanks and Good luck to all of you this weekend of racing and a special Shout Out to DavinRS and AaronS., :checkered_flag:
:revolving_hearts::orthodox_cross::dove:©:cowboy_hat_face:Scout​:checkered_flag::spades: @Maestro

Charles I think you might be going into too much detail ahead of time.

Pick a class based on the Briggs 206. It’s simple, easy to run, low maintenance and allows you to focus on getting laps in.

The 206 is a sealed OHV four stroke engine. Essentially no modifications are permitted.

It was originally called LO206, (local Option) and that name lasted for probably 6/7 years.
People mistakenly still call it LO206. All that changed was the name though.

You can explore topics about the 206 by clicking this tag: #briggs206

Seriously, forget every other engine for now.
Get a 206 and start enjoying time on the track.

1 Like

Well, I’m at SIMA today. Anyone else around? Look for the scruffy dude wearing a Mariners cap.

1 Like

Thank You for the input,I will keep your opinion in mind… ; }