Does anyone ride recreationally?

Hey everyone. I’m excited about getting into this sport. Been watching a plethora or videos and reading about karting. As the topic says, does anyone simply ride these for fun? Not competitive etc. But simply just to race around (and reduce stress) the track for lap times? I like the idea of racing against others but once you step into that world things start getting way more expensive and this is not to say that recreational karting wouldn’t cost money because of course one would still need tires, consumables, engine/chassis maintenance and likely plenty of other things.

I fell in love with this motorsport. I was nearly about to purchase a sportbike but those (to me) are more dangerous plus the girlfriend worries lol. If theres anyone out there that takes their kart to the track for some non-competitive racing i sure would love to hear your feedback on how you are enjoying it and if its costing you just about the same as someone who is racing competitively. Thanks in advance for any input.

Chris

Well I run my practice days with out the presure of must start be in the race’s . I’m 41 years old now and got some motorcycle races in my back from the past . But for sure I’m doing karting for the joy of the sport .

To be in the races or not ?? 

Well practice with some friends or others at week ends on the same tracks has enough competition for me . Don’t need to pay the prise and start from the grid till now .
At the beginING just start to know and enjoy the sport . Then after some time your heart will tell you if you got the need to race official .
After a year of practicing here , I got an idea to race some club Time attacks 1 or 2 times per year . But going in the racetracks every second weekend is my joy .

1 Like

Thanks for the fast response. I believe its in the nature of one to want to participate in an actual race after some time practicing. This just may be the case for me. I play kart simulation and i have some friends from Europe that actually race and told me just simply practicing is a great way to relieve stress from the daily ball we roll on. I figured that will be perfect. I fly model rc jet aircraft and that certainly burns a hole in my wallet considering i lost a $4500 jet due to lost of signal with a $1200 controller. Unbelievable.

So I’m soon going to be in the market for a tag x30. I refuse to get an lo206 because i know that after 2-3 weeks im going to want to go faster. Again a big thanks to you and anyone else that will chime in.

Chris

1 Like

check a new documentary called . " become one " its worth the time and makes you see the sport from many different angles .
And as Maverick said before 30 years , if you got the need , the need for speed … " dont have to pay some officials to make the feeling run in you … just go to the nearest track , put your gears on and try to buzz the tower !

2 Likes

I love getting a practice day in whenever I can. Practice days are fun and allow you to practice working on things that you shouldn’t have to scramble for during a race day.

There is a reason why I use the hashtag #keepkartingfun. Drive whatever feels fun for you. Racing or lapping, just have fun.

2 Likes

Recreational is about all I have the time and flexibility for these days I can relate

Yes, many people just run practice days with their friends just turning lap after lap, trading stories. A lot of tracks that are open during the week usually have a group of people who come out on a weekday and just turn laps, at their leisure and just have a fun day at the track

Whereabouts are you based Chris?

1 Like

Wow that was some awesome awesome feedback im so happy that its not just about being competitive. I can actually go out and buy a kart and run for fun. Thank you for the encouragement. Not only do i wanna ride race karts but i like the involvement of being able to rebuild, tune and repair my own machine.

I live in cape coral florida (southwest florida) and unfortunately the only track i could possibly find closest to me is andersen race park (1 hr 30 min). Its not a horrible drive but i sure wish there was one closer because id like to be at the track as much as i can spell.

Apparently there used to be a track 15 minutes away called fort myers race complex but sadly i think it’s been shut down. I then turned to immokalee speedway where i found a group of people on youtube but they stopped karting all together. I think southern florida may be the worst place to own a kart as i see it. =( but i have faith im my 1 hr 30 min trip. =)

Paging @DruLo206 and @phastafrican. These guys have good knowledge of FL and can probably help guide you. South FL is not bad in the scheme of things. Montana on the other hand…

Andersen raceway park does look like your closest place. Drop them a line and see what kind of options there are.

1 Like

Thank you james. I will sure be in contact with these gentlemen. Boy im glad i signed up here. I was beginning to think i was going to be alone on this. Thank all of you!

Chris

2 Likes

I am blessed, the Auburn Speedway is walking distance from my house. When I bar b que on weekends you can hear the dragsters. My Son is running. a 1995 Suprain 1/4 mile and He wants to get into karting. I use to drag in the 1/4 mile and miss that feeling. We are getting into Karting for many reasons as most here. The first for us is enjoyment, comrades who enjoys the wind hitting their face as they push their personal limits. It has turned into a affairs, where we all can just have fun and those who wants to get serious, we all are here to help…l have seen a lot of folks on this blog race and found the Greater North Western Karting clubs are most helpful, the folks at the track are friendly and it remains a very nice environment to get encouragement and all the competition you can handle, We have some very experienced drivers and folks like me and many on this blog who are just starting out. It i funny how those first starting out has the same perceptions of cost analysis, racing for fun vs racing for podium and points? I think we are going to do both and the best advice I read was, just have fun, goes out and experience it for yourself, then as you grow you will know where you are at and where you want to be at and see if their may be a bridge to get there?:footprints::spades::cowboy_hat_face::clinking_glasses::champagne::checkered_flag::racing_car::boom::dash::sparkles::pray:t3::sparkles:
:speaking_head: I hope this is the right link, it shows the extremes, when it comes down to cost analysis, for the costs are situational and driven by you and your quest to be the best? Sorry if I missed and copied the wrong link…

1 Like

Charles thanks thats encouraging. I have a question if you or anyone can answer. When its time to rebuild your engine do you have someone else do it? Or is it very common as a diy? I saw the prices of rebuilding a bottom end and its pricey. Very pricey. Can anyone shed some light on this? My engine will be an iame x30.

Well it’s not rocket science but …
I’m repairing my own engines working with a workshop manual . But my job was and is simular to that kind of stuff . So it’s not that difficult if you know the basics but have the time to study too before any job done in the kart .
If you don’t have any experience at all then you need help in the firsts seasons . And trying to see and learn as someone with the knowledge doing the job . Start to read the engine and workshop manuals of your engine , the theory it’s there . See your self how difficult seems to your eyes .
Good luck .

1 Like

It varies a lot depending on the engine. Just turning laps means you can generally afford to run a little longer between rebuilds. The four cycle OHV motors like the Briggs 206 will go many hours\seasons with just oil changes. Performance wise, it’s somewhat like a spec miata.

Beyond that, a Rotax FR125 generally can go 40-50 hrs reliably. If you’re looking for more performance.

2 Likes

I’m about 65% mechanically inclined. I have done work on a variety of vehicles however that being said i never rebuilt an engine. I do follow directions quite well as i build model jet rc aircraft. I have read the whole overhaul procedures on dissembling and reassembling the iame x30 engine 3 times. I read through it once every day. Its a pdf file with photos etc. Its looks straight forward to me BUT what I’m concerned about is checking the bearing surfaces for runout etc. Do you guys just replace the entire crankshaft with the conrod or do you take apart the crank assembly and replace as necessary?

The top end i can do without a problem but im worried about the bottom end. Hope this helps in understanding where im at. It does look fairly easy to me but id like to ask you guys with experience.

Also, it’s always a good idea to talk with an engine builder, if you’re less comfortable.

1 Like

Will do. That seems like the wisest thing to do. Just one more question. I dont have to send this motor (x30) back to the manufacturer to have it rebuilt? I can just have a certified 2 stroke technician do it? Im sorry for the question i just had this impression that these are specialty engines that can only be serviced by the manufacturer.

It’s mechanically simple, but not easy.

To replace the rod bearing and or rod at the bottom end the crankpin is pressed out. Then the crank is reassembled and trued using a surface plate, vblocks and dial indicators for runout. The truing process is an art in itself. But that doesn’t mean you couldn’t learn and try it.

Many people do what you said though. They will take care of the top end themselves, but send the crank out to be inspected and rebuilt. Then assemble it all themselves.

Since you’re looking to turn laps… that opens up a ton of inexpensive motor options for you. PRD and the older leopards come to mind. The FR125 Rotax is going to last the longest between services though.

There are no motors in karting that have to be sent to the manufacturer. However there are two packages that have stipulations of sorts…

Rotax Max has to be serviced only by authorized service providers to remain legal for competition.

Briggs 206 has a seal on the bottom end. If the seal is removed, it’s no longer legal for 206 competition. However an “unsealed” 206 can be used for other classes where available.

1 Like

That was spot on. Say no more. hmm that FR125 rotax im going to be looking into it right now. Thank you guys ever so much.

1 Like

Have fun! Let us know what you get into. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started recreationally and then after a couple years of toodling around, started racing. You will reach a point where you feel like trying racing to see what the fuss is about. When you are good and ready to do so, give it a shot. You may find that it adds a whole new dimension.

3 Likes