Driver Report from Mariembourg UPDATE #3 10/17/22

It is update time !

I went to Mariembourg today again to race in their rental league. Grid was full (36 drivers) and the sun was shining bright !

TD:LR : Complete shit show, got screwed by the karts, the drivers and the timing software.

Qualification :

The issue with racing at the end of summer is that the karts will have a lot of engine disparities. At least they put on new tyres on each karts. My kart had a great top speed but the acceleration was subpar. I managed a P5, but .4 slower than pole. Its chassis was great though, I was able to do whatever I wanted with it.

Race 1 :

Here is a video : KTF_4_Course_1

Got torpedo’ed by someone in lap 1, I started this 30 minutes race second to last. My pace was good, so I started to climb the ladder and finished P12, not without any drama. And what happens now ? I jump out of my kart, and apparently I finished P30 ??? The timing system had a problem counting my laps, and after fixing, the staff considered that I finished P30. I tried to argue with them but they wouldn’t listen. Lost my points and I will have to start Race 2 P30.

Race 2 :

I was fuming. They switch the karts, and I got a worst kart somehow. I was still able to do P30 → P10 but I didn’t have the pace to go any higher. No timing drama this time.

Conclusion :

Well that was a shit show, but I drove 2 great races, so I am ok with today. Next one will be in October !

Bashibouzoukery reigned but it was a great looking race. Seems like a blast and I am very jealous of the grid. Nice driving’!

Depassement @ 6:45 was pretty and 8:12 was gnarly

14:50 a good effort but the old adage proves true

@16:20 why is he upset? That wasn’t unreasonable at all. Lol next turn, basically screwed himself getting all worked up about the bump drafting.

Dude didn’t know the right hander was almost flat and he was slow af. Maybe he was scared of the speed he had when he entered the turn

Time for a new report !

TL;DR :
- Q : P4 / 35
- R1 : P9 / 35
- R2 : P17 / 35

Unfortunately, this event could be summarized with two words :

Underperfomance and Disappointment

Granted it was my first race ever while using antidepressant and I could definitely feel the effect of the pills. While I was still able to clock fast laps, as shown in my Q runs, my racing instinct was muted, sort of. I wasn’t able to be aggressive when I needed to be and I was just all over the place, making very bad moves and getting bullied in both races. While I know the pills don’t help, I am still very disappointed in myself as I missed my first potential win/podium.

Qualifications :

The track was green as it was raining for the last two days or so, but dry and it was really slippery at first, but the track was getting faster lap after lap and it was very important to get in a good spot. I started the Q in a small group of fast drivers, trying to get in the rhythm. People in that group were getting worked up though and I decided to sacrifice 2 laps to get some space and clock in 3-4 fast laps
Unfortunately I got a bit held up on my fastest lap and I missed pole for .070s

That’s P4 for me, which is pretty good nonetheless. The kart had a really good chassis and the engine was good enough, I think I had the kart to be in contention for the win in race 1.

Race 1 :

Oh well, I messed up. As I said before, I wasn’t able to race correctly. I got demolished in the start, losing multiple spots in a couple of laps. Looking at the video legit makes me cringe seeing how bad I was. I decided to play the waiting game, betting on my raw pace in order to get some spots back. Unfortunately, I was dragging the drivers behind me which meant they were able to compensate their slightly slower pace with the draft.
But to be fair, my race was lost in the first couple of laps. I was not faster than the people on front (I was not even able to match their pace as the track rubbered in). I could have finished P7 if I was a bit smarter, but that is P9 for me.

Race 2 :

Ugh. That race was bad, really, really bad, for many reasons. As for the first one, I am not doing great mentally. But now, because they swap karts between races, I get a worse engine. I was losing on people in the main straight while being tucked in the draft. Only one other driver in front of me had a worse engine than me. That is a shame, the chassis was really good, but in that track configuration, the engine is far too important. Well, it is how it is

The worst part though was the mindset of the other drivers. People were getting worked up over anything, being mad at the first bump and retaliating on track. I guess those drivers were in contention for the championship win, but still.

So I was following that guy with the bad engine, passed him in the straight and he decided to fight back, to which I answered by a bump in the heaviest braking zone. That made him slightly understeer and I was alongside him for the next turn. He was inside, I was outside, so he had the upper hand here. Still, he decided to not turn in and to push me wide into the grass, losing a spot in the process. To top it all off, I got a warning because of the bump, despite the retaliation. It is just a warning, but I was fairly unhappy, especially because TWO TURNS AFTER, I GOT SEND IN THE SHADOW REALM, LOSING 6 SPOTS AND THE DRAFT. The dude who did that was getting vengeance for a small bump I gave him a lap before, that didn’t even made him understeer or lose time. In fact I was compensating a small mistake he made.

Needless to say, my race was done. Or was it ? I was actually faster than that group and I was planning to catch up after a few laps, until the guy behind me decided to send in the shadow realm in the same turn, making me lose all hopes to get back in the top 10.

I don’t have the full video for this one, but it wasn’t interesting anyway.

Conclusion :

That is probably my worst rental result ever. I underperformed like crazy and I am really disappointed. I also feel people are getting very worked up as it is the end of the championship and it is really close at the top. Maybe I should also self reflect and I shouldn’t bump as I am doing right now, even if I feel it is normal to do so. Maybe people are getting mad at me, but how can I know if they don’t come and talk to me after the race ? I felt like there was no respect whatsoever in that race 2 and maybe it is me getting karma’d but still.

2 Likes

Nice pass!

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxulYP3hqLl24SeZJSssPRi6UXo0XadK1c

Probably one of the few good moves I’ve made !

Well, to be fair, your driving was not shit. You had some bad luck but you also sorta made some of your own problems, too. That send to the apex in quali, while impressively deep, was a non-starter. When you had that done to you in heat 2, it slowed you and the guy who sent it down as well.

That being said, you picked up a head of steam and did some nice driving, I thought. Just mental chaos, it seemed. Too much aggression overall.

I don’t have any solutions for you because sometimes it seems like it’s generally fighty and if you don’t flex you get walked all over. Not sure where this went off the rails for you, but I’m oretty sure your mental state got compromised by the pressure from losing spots and then pushing too hard past folks.

I am not experienced with anti-depressants at all so maybe that screwed with you pretty good. I can imagine that they’d make you “flatter” which should, in theory, make your emotional response less peaky and therefore “kalmer”. That’s doesn’t seem to be the case.

Anyways, is a chill Tanguy what we really want on track? Maybe that interferes with your existential drama which in turn powers your ambition?

Pretty much.

Well, mostly misplaced aggression, which is highly unusual for me. Basically I was unable to process what was going on and how to plan properly. I was getting worried because I was losing spots and I couldn’t make the right decisions.

It is more like I am outside of the action. Not involved. I couldn’t think straight as it felt I was a spectator, especially in race 1. I wasn’t “chill”, I was just not there.

Not really but for now, I don’t have the choice it seems :grimacing:

Odd. I chase this disassociation to summon my Stig. But, maybe the brain activity of antidepressants makes you too separated from the task, too off in the aether. For me, I still have to be there visually. Stig needs my eyes.

Maybe. I have great skepticism about this subject. Yes the drugs can be helpful. But not always. If it’s messing with your life without conferring better quality of life, go talk to a different shrink.

@speedcraft

Can you perform a post-Mortem here? Should be interesting seeing what you pick up on.

The shrink said that it was only for a few weeks, to start the therapy without it being too heavy mentally. I am not supposed to stay on those forever (hopefully).

Tanguy, I’m sorry that you are struggling with depression, but that’s great you are seeking help!

I may be wrong, but considering the disparity between what you have written about the October race and what I see in the videos, it seems like perhaps you were in the midst of a serious depression during this weekend? And perhaps you had not been taking the antidepressants long enough for them to exert a therapeutic effect?

The effects of depression is probably unique to everyone, but often it can be like looking at the world through a gray low-pass filter, that sucks the color out of everything, and turns what would normally be good or fun into meh, and turns everything else into s**t.

In your previous two races, you had some successes, had some disappointments, but you seemed to have some objective perspective; you identified what you could improve, and gave yourself credit for what you did well:

Maybe I’m crazy, but it seemed like in the previous races there were maybe 6-8 really fast guys and then things seemed to spread out, so there was not as many dive bombs in the opening laps. However, this race it seemed like there was a pack of 10-12 pretty quick guys so the battling was intense.

You did give yourself some credit for a strong quali, but it seems like you really beat yourself up about the rest of the event.

Dom said this

I agree with this 100%!

I did not see you driving more aggressively than the other people in the race, this weekend, or in the previous two weekends. It’s rental racing, there will always be incidental contact. If people spaz about that and behave irrationally, you may end up paying the price, because you can only drive your own kart, but that’s not your fault!
Also, your overall control of the kart seemed quite good. I did not see anyone quicker through the chicane in the 1st race track orientation.

Again, you can only drive your kart, which I think you did well in the first laps. You can’t control multiple people driving with a full send, damn the consequences attitude. I did not see any ‘mistakes’ or missed opportunities from you. It was large pack battling, and you just didn’t have the opportunity to make your own good luck that race.

I disagree with this 100%!
Watch race 1 back, you made a lot of good passes in this race. Actually, you were a friggin beast making passes in the 2nd apex of that double-apex left hander.

Anyway, perhaps you did not perform to your ultimate potential at this event, but I thought you did a great job considering what your are dealing with emotionally and chemically. You’re not at 100% so you can’t expect/demand elite performance when you don’t feel elite. I hope you get back to feeling elite ASAP!

1 Like

Thanks for your answer @speedcraft !

I was feeling ok overall, just super tired as I struggle to sleep well.

That is true, the level was a bit higher this race and the karts were maybe a bit closer. Below are the detailed results :

Yeah I was still able to clock some decent laps, but I wasn’t able to go to the next level during Race 1. Race 2 I just didn’t have the engine anyway.