Feedback on My Driving

First season, have about 5 Lo206 races under my belt and just recently started running World Formula. Still adjusting to the new OTK kart which is very different from my Swiss Hutless.

Had a pretty good practice day, worked on my lines trying to keep mid corner and exit speed up, working on braking (shorter and harder) , getting on throttle quicker and less wheel sawing.

It was about 68 degrees out so oddly enough I was running 16lbs of pressure whereas I usually run 10-12.

That still seems like a high tire pressure for only 68 degrees, but I don’t know what the track temperature is like. If the track is cold, etc.

Running a LeCont Red?

1 Like

At first glance, that looks pretty good. Did rib heal up completely?

1 Like

Evinco. I was testing different pressures and kept going up.each time the tires came in quicker and never got too hot. Was doing 20 laps at a time.

Thanks! Yes they healed. As hard as it was after only racing twice, I sat out for about 7 weeks. Padded my seat and got a new rib protector and I’ve felt great.

1 Like

seems like you could be using a little bit more of the track like going on the inside kerbs a little more ,and on the font strait it looks like you have a foot or more space between you and the edge of the track

1 Like

16 is quite high, I ran 15 in 45 degree weather. did you notice any handling problems? I normally run 10-12. when I get a chance to watch it I’ll let you know if I see anything. I also drive WF

1 Like

Surprisingly it worked really well. You can hear in the video barely any tire squealing and grip came in after a couple laps and was pretty consistent.

1 Like

Seems like with the new gen Evinco Blues / MG Reds, running high tire pressures especially on a relatively green track works good. 13-17 psi range depending on total laps and time of day / temp.

I’ve never run Pat’s Acres before but easy and quick points I’d give would be to see how far you could back up the entry in the final corner, just to get on the throttle as soon as possible without the rear end kicking as you come on the front stretch.

Other than that you look smooth on track, maybe see if you can shorten the braking zones a touch since it sounded like a lot of time off the power. But minor tweaks if anything, you look solid man!

5 Likes

I think Xander pretty much nails it. I was watching the video and I couldn’t see any problems with the driving. Looks smooth, calm and controlled. Maybe a little bit too much so and that’s because, like Xander said, you are lifting off power early, keeping it very controlled.

The line looks good, just push it a bit further. Hold throttle a titch longer, brake a little harder. Push.

2 Likes

In watching the video I was thinking the same thing as Dom. How does anyone going from being midpack fast to front of the pack fast and I again think everyone is arriving at the same point. You have to push to find the edge. The example in the video that seems like the best opportunity is at the end of the long straight. The turn seems open enough that you could “maybe” not even use the brakes or use much less or at the very least stay on the gas longer. Keep trying to maintain the speed deeper into the turn.

1 Like

Looks smooth and consistent, only thing I’d say is you seem to be back on the gas just after apexing? Try to get on it no later than apex, when your opening into a stretch of full gas try to get on the gas before the apex.

1 Like

Being that wf is low horsepower, you need to back the corner up as said above, meaning brake sooner and power though the corner, once you start to do this, you will notice that the kart will handle better and you can tune it from there.

2 Likes

I first heard the term “backing up the corner” from Tj recently. It’s a good description of braking a bit earlier and setting up for a powerful exit. Thanks for explaining it well.

1 Like

So in order to still hit the apex you technically would be carrying similar corner speed but the difference being you are on the throttle and will only start to pick up more speed?

1 Like

You are pushing “through” the turn. You slowed earlier or braked harder to allow for a very early throttle. You would be passing the apex already under power, revs rising.

2 Likes

Dom is spot on here and no problem!

1 Like

I agree with what everyone here is saying. brake earlier and get on the throttle earlier. There was a series of turns I couldn’t figure out at my track, and someone told me to just get on the throttle earlier. Its really that easy, get on the throttle at the apex, or aim to get on it before the apex. the kart will hook up and launch out of the corner at high revs

1 Like

Have you tried other gearing? You hit the limiter 1/4 way down the straight. What are you topping out at? What ratio are you running?

Yes run here a lot and it’s tight everywhere else so this gearing is the best comprise for the straightaway speed vs the tight turns. It’s a 18/60.

That’s a 3.3??? No way. What do you top out at? I’m confused lol