G&J Kartway was banked!

they just have to copy everything we do, Hampshire, Cambridge, England, York.
All stolen from the US. SMH

Pretty sure we copied them on Cambridge and the like but dammit Daytona is american as Nascar and power tools. Watch me be terribly wrong and there was a pilgrim ship from a small coastal village in Wales full of persecuted racers looking for some freedom laps.

1 Like

'twas satire. Can we have another revolutionary war to ban them from using aMerican pastimes as their own?

I can confirm there was some serious banking at G & J back in the day. I raced on it a few times and watched the Nationals there in 1970 (?). It was not uncommon for a kart to get bumped and fly off the top of the banking. I think the banking was removed in the mid 1970ā€™s. The banked turn is the one in the upper right hand corner of the photo.

4 Likes

Welcome, Jeff,
In the photos, I get the sense that it must have felt pretty momentous. What kind of speeds were you guys whipping it around?

I hope that it eventually is imported into KartKraft so we can experience it as well. It sounds like you got to experience a brief experiment that we wont likely see repeated. Do you have any old photos by any chance?

Weā€™ve gotten some good stuff from em tho: Monty Python and a little thing called Rock and Roll

X1 Boston. 1.3 miles long with a banked curve. Arguably one of the best kart tracks around. Unfortunately, not many races there.

4 Likes

Oooh, Pretty. Sad I never got to ride it.

So, whatā€™s deal with X1? Heard they closed the doors. Any word if they plan on re-opening?

Not sure but their website also indicates that they are closed. Not sure they recovered from Covid closure.

I donā€™t think I have photos but Iā€™m searching for some old film. Not sure of the speeds but I had an entry level kart, not up to the top standards of the day. It was a Rupp A-bone with a McCullough 91b (100cc) 2-stroke. Top speed might haven been 60-70 mph ? Most of the fast guys were driving Bug Lightnings, with the 91b motor.

1 Like

I think is is from G&J too?

Highly recommend you check out the gallery, some cool pics here. I love how animated vintage karting looks.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10159888431805827&set=pcb.2758518414441083

You mean the uphill left after bridge? That is banked a bit but it seems more of a contour of land thing than deliberate banking. Itā€™s been a bit since Iā€™ve simmed it tho.

What did you race at x1? I raced there in the 2019 club series. Incredible track, super grippy, great layout. RIP X1
According to the previous owner its being torn down soon

Yes, that is G&J. Crazy to see how much it has changed.

indoors was sold and being turned into office space, outdoors was also sold and being turned into either luxury condos or storage. The owner invested in a sanitizer spray before covid, and that company has EXPLODED during covid, so its now his main priority. X1 is gone forever to the best of my knowledge :pensive:

Argh. MA joins RI in the karting drought. I woulda liked to go there oh well

It was never super popular for some reason. Not a lot of staff, not a lot of outreach. wish it was part of more seriesā€™
NJMP is also owned by the same guy but its doing fairly well so I think its not under threat

I havenā€™t met the owners but it seems they have a similar feeling for NJMP concession karting as well. The program is just about dead due to the lack of decent equipment. They put some money into the track in the form of a repaint and some night lights for the upper rental track, however.

Also, Kevin moved on the be chief of security so maybe the new fella wasnā€™t marketing it at all. Dunno.

From what I understand they have had to cancel each rental sprint and endurance race for lack of entries. That is flipping SAD for a CIK-FIA spec track. Particularly given the population density up here.

I know itā€™s a big spend, probably about 250k to do correctly. But, they could run karts all day long with a good program and make serous cheddar. Pretty sure the demand is there.

the demand is most definitely there, just not as big as the demand for a covid killing sanitizer. The tracks are really an afterthought it seems. He used to be a professional racing driver and I think he was trying to continue involvement in motorsports through karting. Very nice guy though, he gave me a tour of his garage and helped me out with some career advice.

1 Like