Getting Started, in North Texas

briggs206

(Ryan Dunham) #1

Where are you located?

Fort Worth, TX

What age bracket are you in? Junior (<16), Senior (16+) or Masters (30+)

I’d be in “Senior” class for now, not quite 30y/o

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your mechanical ability, or willingness to wrench on things?

I’d rate myself on a 7 or a 8 on mechanical ability and willingness to wrench. The project is half the fun, I once bought an inoperative motorcycle (carbed) just to see if I could fix it. 1 carb per cylinder made for a fun time, but got it going and had a great time after that. That started my journey of fixing other bikes as well as tuning and wrenching on cars. What I don’t know I’m willing to research and learn, but I’m not a master mechanic.

Talk a little about your racing experience so far.

On again, off again autocrosser, serious Rally co-driver (national/international level, instructor at a rally school), one time Track day participant. I am interested in LEARNING, and was drawn to karting because of the competition level and lower barriers to entry compared to cars.

What’s the main thing you need help with to get you started.

Need advice on used Briggs 206 kart buying, as well as transportation options. I do NOT own a truck, and was considering installing a small hitch on my hatchback and getting a small utility trailer to carry the kart and tools. Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Ryan

(Michael Zahorski) #2

Go by North Texas Karters, there some great guys there that can help you with a Briggs 206. Also, there are some guys there that do what you mentioned for transportation. They have a small trailer that hooks onto a hitch on their car. I’ve also seen some people disassemble the kart enough to slide it in the back. If you’re on Facebook, they have a group there as well.

(Ryan Dunham) #3

Thanks Michael! I went to check out NTK on Friday, and wished I could have stuck around for the race on Saturday. Great facility, and great club.

Mulling over in my head budgets and prices, and I may decide to run Rental Kart races either with DKC or K1 speed to get some experience before I commit the funds and get my own kart.

(Michael Zahorski) #4

That’s what we did initially, we raced at K1 Speed (in San Antonio) for a year and a half before we bought our own. It’s a completely different experience, but still a great place to start. The nice thing about having our own, is you know what you’re driving, and if something isn’t right, you can fix it.