How do you Transport Your Kart? [Pic Topic]

I said i’d get a photo then forgot to post. Went out to Summit Point by myself in late september.

I received a few compliments on the compact setup.

I’d like to figure out a way to get the kart stand on the trailer as well, that would really free up interior space.

1 Like

Get 10"+ lag bolts from the hardware store. Then stack your pieces of wood to the height of the stand.
You can give it a significantly better finish than I have here. This was a one day temporary solution that has worked so well I just haven’t tweaked it yet. Sorry, only picture I have on my phone atm.

I just have small D rings on the top and use ratchet straps over the 4 tires in place. Been sturdy for 2 years. If I could do it again, I’d be more accurate and even try to find a planer to create a cleaner stack. Would also add a cross brace in the front for added stability. My stand only goes up about 3/4 of the deck.

1 Like

Here’s a shot with the kart stand under the kart and 10x10 canopy on the left. Usually have a small 2gl fuel tank tucked in the gap as well.
IMG_0590

2 Likes

Oh, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to see if I can do that and still have everything fit vertically in between houses (I live in baltimore city in a row home).

2 Likes

So I actually started with a need to keep the deck height low so I could mount the trailer against the wall in the garage just like you have yours. So the stacked wood was removable. The bottom was bolted down, but the additional 2 pieces of wood were removable.
Same concept. I wish I’d saved more detailed plans and pics. Basically once the bottom piece is bolted to the trailer, the other stacked 4x4 pieces are held in place by 3 (10" bolts) on each side. I did recess the holes for the bolts into the top by about 2". Allowed for the bolt to go all the way through the bottom piece of wood.
Tough to describe but hopefully that helps.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

57939603434__683E7FE7-60D5-4E5C-AB13-05072235A63D
I took my maiden voyage to my local track last night, which thankfully is only 10 minutes away from my house. I got some strange looks the entire drive over. I’m using a slightly modified cargo carrier. Basically, I didn’t put the top rails on to make it easier to slide the kart in, but still have some structure to hold it in. The axle gets a ratchet start to hold it down, and I use two ratchet straps at the top that go through the cabin. I’m still working on a better trunk ledge support, but for now I have two pieces of one by lumber screwed together at a 90-degree angle. First, I lay down a moving blanket on the trunk ledge, then I put the angle piece on top of that. The kart gets lifted onto its back bumper, tilted to one side, slide onto the cargo carrier and rested onto the trunk ledge support. It’s a challenge, but I can load and unload it on my own. The back seat of the car folds down, so fitting a kart stand, tools, and safety equipment is no problem. I drain oil, and gas from the carb before loading. I also temporarily remove the vent tube from the gas tank, and route the feed tube from the engine to the vent tube during transport.

6 Likes

Where there’s a will there’s a way. Bonus points for cool BMW. Some folks use the inexpensive harbor freight trailers, assuming you can tow hitch a sedan.

Excellent. That’s the kind of setup I’ve used on occasion with our XC90. I’ve always wondered if a custom solution, more geared towards transporting a kart would sell.

What BMW is that, I’m having trouble guessing from that angle. I’d say e39, but the trunk looks too short, maybe e46, but the side doesn’t look like an e46 body to me?

I have an e39 540.

It’s a 2002 BMW 325i E46. The hitch receiver is just a regular Curt kit for my car with a 1.25" receiver. I decided to go cargo carrier instead of trailer for cost and convenience. A trailer is tougher for me to store at my house, costs more, and requires a trailer registration fee. Getting the kart on the carrier isn’t super fun, but it’s doable and I’ll go with it for the short term. I’m open to going to a small trailer in the future.

2 Likes

I used to have one of those, too. Sometimes I wish I still did, then I remember how much work/maintenance it required to feel decent and am glad I replaced it with a kart.

Though, I think the tow capacity would be more than the Prius i currently drive.

OT: driving a friend’s Supercharged, S62-swapped E39

1 Like

Northern Tools Trailer, built with 4x4 pressured wood and plywood platform, kart stand goes inside, roll on and off.

I got lots of thumbs up and photo taken when I tow this rig! Lol…

4 Likes

Things to look out for on this trailer (I have the same one). If there are bumps, the tail light surrounds/brackets will crack and fall off. The fenders are also quite brittle, and I lost one when it cracked at both bolt holes - it might be okay with some rivets or other fasteners.

I have used more sturdy tail-light brackets and riveted on some plastic fenders since and everything seems ok now.

I have only had my setup for a little over a year and made it to 5-6 races in that time. During assembly i made sure not to over-tighten things, too.

Good luck, i’m digging that setup.

1 Like

that’s how we do

8 Likes

My early beginnings. Harbor Freight Trailer plus some Lowe’s wood, bolts and nuts. Took about a week er two-ish to build with a buddy of mine (he had the saw). Absolutely loved it!

image image

6 Likes

So what do most people do to secure a kart to the trailer?
I will be using a simple utility trailer with a food floor.
My concern is strapping it down with ratchet straps and tweaking the frame or something.
Are there any do’s and don’ts when it comes to how and where you tie down?

Hopefully picking up my new kart tomorrow BTW!!
I will post a pic if I do…if i’m allowed to post a pic…

2 Likes

I’ve been going over my frame with straps (non-ratcheting) but have been told that I should change.

I believe the preferred method is over the tyres. At least that’s what I’m going to try change to. My set up is similar.

1 Like

When we would strap a kart down to the floor, we would put two used kart tires under the frame on the front rail and the seat rail, then strap it. That way it has some cushion so you can get it snug and tight where it isn’t going anywhere, but it also it’s got some give so the tires absorb some force.

3 Likes

I strap over the tires. Not sure what is best but it works for me.

3 Likes

That’s oddly satisfying to look at.

1 Like