How soon is to early for regional travel series

So as of today I have a total of about 6 hours in my kart. Which to be honest will be out the window due to getting a new chassis. I’m really interested in doing the regional series of ICP cup. But I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew per say. Should I stick to local club races for this year or just jump in and try the regional stuff out. Looks like the fields are usual in the 20 kart count. Based on familiar racers at the club level I should be able to compete in the middle of the pack.

Should I focus on practice days and club level or maybe take a few practice days off and get that regional level experience? This is 5 tracks I have never been to. 4 that are 3+ hours away. And 1 across international borders.

I did the club only no regional route. I think I did for the same reasons, did not want to get in over my head.

I think I would have been fine doing GearUp from the get go but definitely after half a season. Sounds like you’d be mid pack so there’s your answer.

Club events tend to be cheaper and less of a zoo., from what I saw. Also some regional events are longer and involve more than one set of tires, I think.

Ask the race director what they think.

With 206 being a spec tire event. And it being on LeCont Reds. I think I could get away with 1 set of tires a weekend. Seems like its. a Friday practice. Saturday qualify, heat, final. Sunday reverse direction qualify, heat, final. Same tire is required for qual/heat/race. But I don’t know if its same tire for the weekend or per day. Waiting on 2020 ruleset to drop. Rains are the same thing. Marked and can’t be swapped unless punctured. Seems like they have done what they can to reduce spending your way to the front.

I can’t see how reds would last a full Saturday and Sunday of racing, but I was x30 which is a bit harder on tires. Hmm. One of the experienced 4 stroke guys must know.

Hell I know guys here that use a set of reds for a whole season of club racing. It hasn’t been dry enough that I have even got to mount a set yet. So I have zero experience on longevity. So hopefully I can get some feedback here to prepare myself for financials.

Note: I have a sponsor for tires so I don’t really care how many sets I go through. But would be nice to know.

In which case, use as many sets as allowed! Lol. But you are likely ok assuming the race director thinks you are good enough.

I mean within reason. His company gets a logo. I haul his kart for him. He provides tires in return.

Not super experienced with the LeCont tires but I may be able to give some good info.

I just got into karting with Lo206 about a year and a half ago and starting doing regional competition this past season. At least here in Texas the main difference comes down to it being a much longer event with more people in the class most of the time. At least here, we run on Evinco Blues which last well through the weekend and most of the times I still get good practice on them afterwards as well. The Lo206 karts don’t wear through tires even close to the amount that X30 or even a 100cc does.

I think the main thing is that you need to be comfortable in the kart before you start doing regional competition. It is a different atmosphere and it is sort of expected that you have a very good control over your kart and are comfortable driving alone and around other karts.

That’s fair. I’m more then comfortable behind the wheel. I don’t care what people say. But racing is racing. Lines are lines. (Some variance based on momentum driving vs hp driving)

I’m still working to find the limits of my setup. But I’m cautious by nature so me causing a pileup is not even on my radar.

Looked at the Speedhives from last year. And it seems 20 karts was about the biggest field. Currently been running with 25-30 karts in the rain through the winter and haven’t caused a fight yet.

My biggest thing and concern is that I’ll be so slow that the tail of the pack is where I’ll be. I think my skill set is enough that shouldn’t happen. But who knows.

People don’t care if you are slow, within reason. I’d say if you can do a race without getting lapped, you belong. Maybe its different in regional.

1 Like

Jumping into a regional type race will do nothing but make you better.

3 Likes

Try one event. No need to fully commit to a full season if you aren’t sure yet.

I always recommend that someone’s first foray into the next level is running the regional event when the series comes to your home track. That way you aren’t learning the track as well as the logistics of the event. And if you feel competitive at that level on a familiar track, then you can try running other tracks.

Not sure how aggressive it is up in the PNW, but another thing to keep in mind is generally the racing gets a bit more rough and tumble as you move up series, so keeping a little extra in your spare parts budget might be a good idea.

Also somewhat agree with @CrocIndy that moving up a level, and getting your butt kicked a little, will definitely make you better.

2 Likes

Thanks @tjkoyen that’s kinda my thought process. Racing with better people teaches you more lessons. My game plan was to head to race 1. As they are all within 3 hours or so. Closest track to me anyway is an hour. That way if I don’t do terrible I’m getting points. If I do. I’ll just hold out for the series when it comes close.

I’d totally agree with @tjkoyen - Race the regional series when it comes to your track, so you can dip your toe in.

Also, if you wanted, you could come and wrench for someone or spectate a regional event, so you can see what the level of competition is before you jump in.

Or, run with a team that competes at the regional level for those events, to get the additional support and learn from the brainpower of other drivers who have done it before.

In the Northwest, a good number of the club drivers compete at the regional level, so if you’re well-balanced at the club level, you’ll be ready for the regionals.

I think I waited one season basically, but I did a ton of a club races in one year, before I did a regional. Everyone is different though.

1 Like

Yeah having some team support is kinda what is making me jump in.

With my daughter, we ran 2 years of club racing before we went to a regional series. (She was slow enough I knew she wasn’t ready for it). When we did go to the regional series, I did it just to make us actually visit other tracks without just talking about it. The series we entered was still beginning, and I wasn’t expecting more than 8-10 other karts. However, when we showed up for our first race, there were 17 other kids that she had to run with. She got lapped in the final at each of the first 3 events, but at our home track she got faster. The next year we ran it again, and she didn’t get lapped at any event, and actually was on average 2 seconds a lap faster than the prior year. Racing in the series has made her faster and learn how to drive better.

1 Like

I ran my first regional race at my home track in my second season of kart racing. I only entered that event, but it was good experience for me to have. The next season, I ran the whole regional series because I wanted to try racing at that higher level.

One thing I will note, is that even if you start running regionally and get your butt handed to you every weekend, you’ll still be improving a lot. In my opinion, I got noticeably better at my club races because I was racing a regional series against better competition and had really good support out there.

1 Like

If you’re an experienced racer (even outside of karts), and are doing well at club you should have no issues going to regional races. Yes it will increase the learning curve, but the exposure to different circuits will pay divedends when you go back home.

2 Likes