I'm looking to buy my first kart

I have been racing rentals for the past year or so and I feel like I’m ready to buy a kart. I’m 14 and think the Briggs lo206 engine is probably the best thing I could buy, I don’t know much about chassis or maintaining the engine. Ideally I hope to race a lot this summer on the east coast. I don’t mind buying a used kart either any recommendations or things I should know?

1 Like

Are you in the states? if so what state? I race in the northeast

1 Like

Yeah, where are you located?

1 Like

I’m in the States in VA

Lucky you, it appears VA has many places to kart:

http://www.xtraactionsports.com/go-kart-tracks/virginia-go-kart-tracks.htm

I see one of the tracks runs WKA rules so I bet they race lo.

Have you figured out where you will likely race? Rules will tell if it’s a “spec” class or open.

1 Like

206 is the perfect starter package. Best first two steps would be to figure out the closest tracks and closest kart shops, as that will point you in the right direction of what classes and kart brands are available in your area.
If possible you always want to have a kart that you’ll easily be able to get parts and setup advice for. That’ll be determined by what’s popular in your area.

1 Like

I dont get down to VA to kart but there is a terrific track nearby in Baltimore at the airport called United Karting. They do WKA events and a lot of rental stuff, too. Strongly recommended.

1 Like

I’ve been there it is a cool track.

United is a Compkart dealer and the Compkart 4R is a very good 206 kart.

Do they get many 206s there?

Many moons ago when I lived in Alexandria, VA (pre-United), I used to race at Sandy Hook and Nicholson, both in MD. The other tracks were Monrovia and Manassas but I believe they are closed now.

1 Like

I know they sell compkarts but is it worth it? The package they sell is the compkart with a lo206 and some extra wheels for $5000 I didn’t know if it was a good deal or something used would be better.

Buy used for your first few karts. Only buy new when looking for the last tenth in a big, competitive series.

2 Likes

I bought a used Compkart with light prior use last year, ran all F Series and 3 USPKS races with it and it was fine. I sold it for 90% of what I paid for it.

1 Like

Where did you buy it? I have joined some Facebook groups but I couldn’t find much on them, any recommendations?

Facebook from a guy I know. Call Devin at United and tell what you want.

1 Like

They CompKart 4R is a great 206 chassis.

Won the 2020 WRP Championship with one.

1 Like

Buying used is good advice, but there’s a difference between “used” and “shot to sh…aving cream” that a newbie might not be able to spot until they turn up at the track with a suddenly brakeless, tube-flattened, bent up kart, with a seat that needs twenty bucks worth of carbon fiber.

If you buy a used kart, buy a late-model kart, no older than 2015, from a brand you see at the track, that’s had frame guards on it. If you’re having trouble finding good chassis bear in mind that a new Praga Dark Evo, Mac Minarelli, or Comet Eagle chassis will sometimes be on sale for $2500-$3000.

1 Like

Ok thank you, do you think it would be a good idea to call my local track and ask if they know anyone selling used equipment?

Yup. Usually series are “serviced” by a few teams that also deal in new and used karts etc.

For f-series there’s: Kartworkz (Jerry White), Full-Tilt (Keith Raffa), and a couple other dealers/team bosses.

Not sure who is at UnKa, but Paul suggests reaching out to
Devin and asking him about a used setup.

When in doubt, ask the Race Director.

1 Like

Yeah I think ill call them in a hour or two ill report back on what they say.

2 Likes

Excellent point. Definitely do this.

1 Like