[Karting Channel Presents] KT100 Project

1 Like

I already PM’s you about the other thing.

But two recommendations for your films

• A tripod will make it a little easier to hold the camera and dismantle things.

• When driving mount the camera so you can see the steering wheel, this might be a personal preference thing but I like to see the steering wheel and front wheels.

Otherwise good stuff.

1 Like

Point taken. Next in kart camera point will probably be anchored on a seat stay, so you should be able to see steering and feel some slip angle.

Tripod arrived this week, so next video will be properly anchored.

1 Like

Part 2 is out! Bask on the glow of a stuck DXL clutch journal bearing!

I’ve had the engine apart before this video was shot so I could start ordering parts, then put it back together so I could record the disassembly. I’m still baffled over how that clutch got stuck like that, it was just placed on the crank and was never torqued down.

Don’t forget to like, comment, & subscribe!

1 Like

Part 3 is out. In it I finalize the teardown of the engine, hopefully that will help some folks.

Happy karting for all!

Keep this work up. I am loving this series. Especially, because it’s not an engine I know about.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words!

I am now debating if I should do the boring/honing myself or send it out. I can do it, but it would be imprecise with benchtop machinery and tools. What do you think?

To expand on that a bit, not super imprecise. I would still be using the good stuff, just not a standing boring machine with pressure plates, etc…

1 Like

Alright sorry for forgetting to update here. We are a total of 6 episodes in already!

On part 4, we remove the piston from the connecting rod small end. It’s a pretty short episode. :wink:

1 Like

One of the old vintage regulars at Sugar River Raceway - Brodhead, was a popular KT100 builder in the old days. He does know the engines well even at about age 74. He might make for an interesting talk to/interview about what they did back then and probably still today, his name is Eugene (Gene) Paulus. He is still getting out on the track at Brodhead and at 61 Kartway Delmar in a KT100 sidewinder turning laps.

2 Likes

What is frustrating about this series is staying motivated as social media (ugh) rains down a constant barrage of negative criticism.

From trying to pull a clutch with a 3-jaw puller to honing an engine without a Sunnen hone, everyone is out to get the backyard mechanic. KT-100s still have enough of a sickly religious, cult-like following making it hard to think outside of the box. In this case, the box is rebuilding through an overpriced shop that will do the deed with extreme perfection for big dollar bills.

Do it like that or don’t bother doing it at all. Everyone knows how to do it better. Your way is never right.

Breaking News (for some): The KT100 was never meant as a special karting engine package. I am of the Burt Munro line of mechanical philosophers and inventors: I would rather learn and do it myself, I would rather tinker and improve what I make as I break things.

If doing it shed mechanic-style offends Yamaha lovers that much, so be it. I will respond by immediately turning frustration into… Entertainment!

I will capitalize on the current feedback labeling me as “hack mechanic” to extract maximum enjoyment for my subscribers and I. Together, we will bask on the glow of the shimmering tears of KT100 lovers worldwide. :sunny: :sunglasses:

The plan is to finish this engine up and make it perfect. Close it down nice, make it clean and pretty. Start with some clean test runs, then feed it nitromethane or nitroethane until it blows the rod clean through the head at 18k RPMs of fire and glory. :brap:

Everything will be recorded as part of the video series, of course. :wink: Multiple camera angles, slow motion, the works. A proper sendoff to an imperfect grassroots karting staple, and an enthusiastic wave to the glorious IAME era to come.

2 Likes

One guy ≠ constant barrage. But I get what you are saying. It’s super easy for someone to sit on their ass and criticize (or just plain bitch). It won’t stop, so you’ll have to get used to it to an extent and/or adapt your messaging. Take even our track directory as an example, it’s not perfect so usually someone whines that “their track” isn’t in it. But that doesnt change the fact that it’s still the most comprehensive one around, period. I know this because it’s a combination of 4+ sources that was manually validated.

One thing I’ve learned is that you can control what you say, but you can’t control how people will interpret it, especially when egos get in the way.

Keep doing your thing. Take feedback into account, but always run it past your own personal validation filter. Make it better with each attempt.

This quote from Roosevelt is more apt in these times than ever.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

I value self-aware “doers” over critics any day.

/pep talk

:brap:

1 Like

I love the series and you’re doing a great job. In this area the KT100’s are still alive and strong but like you said many people send the motor out and never see the inside of the block. Keep up the good work. Also that’s one of my favorite quotes, it’s in my locker at work.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the encouraging words, Matt & James. A lot of the criticism also came from Youtube peeps, but whatever, I’m past that. I’ll have to adapt further and develop a filter. In the mean time, this project will continue!

In retrospect destroying the engine won’t achieve much either, so we’ll see what I’ll do with it after I’m done.

1 Like

Feel free to come run it out here at G&J with us in the ovka. Like I said we shave huge KT100 classes and the track is a blast and we are one of the oldest clubs in the country. I may be a little biased but it would make for a good episode see how your engine stacks up with others.

1 Like

I think your videos are great, Andre.
Most trolls aren’t even doing anything to add to the discussion, so best to ignore them if they aren’t adding any valuable feedback. That’s basically what I do.