Sim Racing Megatopic

Is KK better than KRP? I heard that it is, but it’s very limited (like the tracks and mods [might be wrong]), compared to KRP. But I’m planning to get KRP soon, but not sure if I should get KK instead. My pc is kind of bad so…

So KRP is a completed game where KK is an early access title.

The difference is that KRP has fully fleshed out tracks, modding, multiplayer? Etc.

From what I have been told by a friend who modded KRP extensively, it’s a good game with appropriate tunes.

I tried KRP and it did not feel like KK from a handling perspective. KK feels really good to me but KRP felt wooden (untuned).

So, KK is probably the better sim but KRP is a completed product.

1 Like

Out of curiousity @Alan_Dove werent you involved in the creation of KRP? How do you feel it compares to KK?

Speaking of realistic sims: CXC Special projects division

The radical looks, well, Rad!

Nope :slight_smile:

I knew Zach from way back in 2006 though with Kartsim that eventually turned into KartKraft.

A quote from Nik that I now understand:

I have been playing a lot with the idea of being aware of the stresses being put on the tires and chassis and am driving differently now. I am deliberately paying attention to rubber, particularly the loaded tire.

Gentle is always king. There is a lot of subtlety to a turn and the grip matters in how you put down power. Gentle also makes the race easy. In the absence of self-induced tension, karting is much less physical.

I know it sounds wierd but sim is the perfect place to play with this. You can drive into walls while trying to hold the angle “just so”. No harm done. Reset to track.

The challenge is beating the desire to chase laptimes out of you. I have yet to figure out how to let the laptimes come, however.

@Alan_Dove In some sports, yes. In running the last mile was about the vomit comet. Push yourself till you feel like your heart will explode and then vomit from effort once crossed the finish line. It was mental, mostly, given a baseline of being able to run a mile in X minutes.But in karting it’s not physical pain that we have to overcome. At least, once kart fit, which takes folks a bit.

The “pain” is mental. It’s insecurity about our abilities and the like. It’s about trying to believe that you got this, over and over again. Failing that, it’s about pounding repetition into your brain/body to compensate for an inability to “let go” and drive naturally/effortlessly. I am capable of much more than I allow myself to be. I suspect that is the case with most of us.

if u get the setting right on krp its better than kk imo i fell like the handeling and braking in kk just doesn’t feel like the real thing altho i have not messed aroud with the kk setup

That’s interesting. I downloaded it and tried once but did t like. Do you have tunes? If so I’ll try one and report back.

1 Like

not really i just slap on a hard axle and change the caster and camber a bit
Aldo once i get home i can get one of my friends who is really into setups to send u one

do you do any setup changes for kk?

but also the karts already included in the game aren’t the best the mods make the game drive look and feel much better.

Thanks Oliver, I’d like that.

Yea, tons of tuning is done by me in KK. Fortunately it’s easy. You make really big changes till you find something that you like, proceeding like you would with a regular kart.

But, the changes are whacky compared to IRL. For example my seat is all the way back all the way down, but, in some builds it’s been as high as possible (jacking purposes). Extremes rule the day in KK tuning.

That being said the tunes don’t make you faster per-se. They change the handling of the kart to be consistent with how you like to drive.

1 Like

ok because i have not yet changed anything setup related in kk wich may be the reson the kart feels off do you have a basic setup i can use?

Sorry somehow deleted this

1 Like

Yes sure. I find that one tune per build works well. I do not feel a need to use different tunes at different tracks.
I will paste one in here for you.

1 Like

alright thank you once i get home ill send u a krp setup and some solid mods.

I jumped onto KK yesterday for a while because my kid insists on climbing up onto my sim to play with the wheel (is this a good or bad sign?), and I figured I would turn a game on and drive around with him on my lap.

After he got bored and hopped off my lap, I pounded around for a while.

The over-rotation issue I’ve complained about for a while seems stronger than ever on this latest build. I found the kart just continuing to rotate after apex in an unnatural way, even if I hold constant steering angle and throttle input. It’ll even do it with no throttle input, if I’m coasting. It’s such a bizarre feeling. I played with seat settings a bit to try and counteract it. Moving the seat all the way back made it less sensitive but then when it did snap it snapped in an uncatchable way.

It makes it so I can’t dance the kart right on the limit, I always need to stay at 90% or it’ll snap and be unrecoverable. Looks like I need to really play with the setup again to dial that out, even though it feels like an issue with the game’s physics and tire model and not a reflection of realistic kart handling.

1 Like

I have been using this:

The Formula K x30 or ka100

Front scrub: 0.60
Front caster: 14.6
Height: low
Torsion bar: flat
Seat: 0-0
Drivetrain: 13-85
Rear: 0.10
Brakes: 90
Tyres: 6 (heats to 11)

2 Likes

thats the same feling i got

1 Like

thank you ill try it out

1 Like

Well on the plus side it teaches you to not overhold the turning angle!

I do agree that there is a knife edge between stable and spun.

I think this over-rotational tendency is due to the interaction of the kart and the laid down rubber. The power line grabs the kart and influences its direction/rotation. It’s very strong effect in game compared to irl.

@tjkoyen It shouldn’t be only at 90%. There’s something g wrong imho. I am driving at 100%. Things get weird but I am most definitely not holding back at all.

I have played with under driving and things get very calm and normal feeling.

1 Like