Sim Racing Megatopic

You hit the nail on the head Dom. Nothing beats seat time in an actual kart, but for every hour seat time in a real kart, you can have a dozen in KK or more.
Second, it will help you setting up the kart and try more extreme settings than you would do in real life. I have too little experience in KK yet to tell how realistic the setup changes are but I am positive. I am confused why you cannot change tire pressure, since that is the first thing I do irl. Perhaps it’s too difficult to simulate. Anyone an idea?

Ultimately tire pressure will come. That is planned. I think the issue is simply manpower and money. This is a really cool sim that has been i development for 10 years, I think. There’s only 3 visible developers.
I have no idea how this is funded.

The tuning is interesting but I’m not sure how well it correlates since I don’t wrench or tune irl.

When we last spoke, sim seemed to be not in the cards… yet here we are and I saw you top 10 global I think on way up.:sunglasses:. Were you able to get a wheel?

Hi Dom, last year I played KK on a rig of a friend. The steering felt awesome, but I couldn’t get a single clean lap in due to the brakes. So I decided it was not for me.

Then corona came and all the kart competitions were suspended. So I bought some second hand hardware and started iRacing. At first it was really great but then I reached a certain level that I had to spend hours a week to be competitive. I didn’t want to do that and I became extremely frustrated with iR.

So two weeks ago I downloaded KK and I found out that it was much better than last year. I am thinking of going VR for months now, but the costs are holding me back. Small steps at a time…

I sympathize with Iracing. There’s something about how it’s structured that adds stress and is demanding time wise. You can’t just play, you have to go through practice and then race.
Long story short, even though I love the game and enjoy the racing, something about the experience bugs me. I reupped and did dirt oval for a week and cancelled. Kk somehow satisfies me in a different way.

Maybe it’s the irl connection of KK. Lord knows I’m not likely to go out and buy a sprint race car.

I think that’s it. I wanted a kart sim for years because it is something I drive in real life. It’s amazing to race a hypercar in a race sim, but it will never be a car that I could handle properly in real life. I know I can drive a kart at the limit so a kart sim can never be too realistic.

For me, it’s more like I feel it’s like pointless getting gud at the racecars in sim. I won’t ever actually race one. With KK, it’s practice, mainly, and enjoyment.
I think I could drive any car well, irl. It would take laps, laps, and more laps, though.
Not sure I want to do that for something that exists purely in sim for me.

So here’s a little accomplishment I am proud of…

In my little karting group, @StrikerClone (Ben) decided to hop onto KartKraft and put up a good lap. He managed to place himself #2 behind our mutual pal, Tanguy.

Ben ran a 56.2x, which I know from my past efforts here to be good, but not what he’s capable of.

So, I thought it would be fun to give him a ghost to chase by placing just ahead of him on leaderboard.

So, here’s what I managed. Pretty close I’d say:

Maybe he can chase me down into the 55s… that is my hope.

I have to get a wheel. Wife will kill me, but it’s a necessity. Maybe I can hide it under the desk…

2 Likes

It’s a mental illness, this sim stuff. The best unit to start with this also has great resale value is the fanatec CSL with loadcell pedals and the generic wheel. I just priced it on their site at 749. The new budget option is the logitech https://simracereviews.com/reviews/logitech-g923/

Create a new topic since they physics have changed.
Which is where we are now.

Sounds good! Thank you!

Try my setups:

KZ:

X30:

1 Like

Thanks buddy! I will try it out when I have the time. Although I do think that I have a different driving style based on your videos. Because of my relentless lapping in slow and heavy karts I am so used to having a slow rear end that I adapted to it. A lower caster setting helps me attack the corner, knowing that the rear will stick.

For sure! I have a very fast hands approach. That being said, try anyways. The tune came from dealing with the rollovers. It may be a useful baseline. Try the seat and height changes.

Wow, awesome. I copied only a part of your setup and I shaved three tenths off my laptime in North Texas, putting me 4th globally (2nd on optimal). I couldn’t get it working yet for PFI, but that is my own fault. It’s such a difficult track to get it right. Thanks for the help!

Dom, do you know more about the modding of tracks? When is it due en what is required to try this yourself?

Glad it helped. I think that the program Is called blender. There is no official modsing tools available yet. It is a planned thing. NTK is a user mod that was done with the studios help. People ask about this on discord and the devs definitely confirm that it is something they are hoping to implement.

This surprises me. I would’ve thought for sure you would have hours of KZ experience, given your background with the factories.

To me, the look & feel of KZ in KK seems pretty good from my limited experience with it, but using a controller isn’t the best perspective, so again, I need to get a wheel.

Plugging Away at PFI-C

S1: 8.407
S2: 18.930
S3: 14.763

Getting faster here. This is a really fun track. The first corner is a giant, on limiter 180. It has to be felt, words can’t describe how good nailing it feels. Sadly, this one is a little off, but it’s still within hundredths of very fast.

Spencer, I am afraid you confuse me with someone else, or maybe I don’t know what you mean, sorry.

I am sure the KZ is as realistic as can be, my point is that most people will never know how realistic, since they have never driven a kart like this in real life. So although the KZ is the fastest kart there is, I prefer a slower kart that is closer ro my real life experience.