Sim Racing Megatopic

This is KartKross and Brentomonte Circuit

This looks like a hoot. But uh… why does it exist?

1 Like

I don’t know. What’s odd is that is was just sort of posted without any patch notes. Tanguy imagines that they are likely scrambling around setting up new office in Miami.

In case anyone is curious, KK does indeed do a very good job of simulating the line etc of Irl AMP.

The rentals take a different line through a few of the turns but overall, the approach to each turn is the same in game as in irl.

One big exception is kerbing. In KK I monster the kerbs on the downhill bit after 3-4. This appears to be suicidal IRL. In general we would avoid the heck out of the kerbs.

Vr does a good job of giving a sense of up/down but it’s missing the effects of gravity. You don’t feel the steering getting light as you crest the hill into T2, for example.

It’s pretty remarkable, though, how good the sim is. My first lap was very, very familiar. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@olivier.p I am really jelly of these great tracks you get to race all the time! AMP reminds me a bit of a really nice golf club. (Stick with karting though, it’s cooler.)

2 Likes

Here’s an example of a difference between 9hp and 30, approach wise. Tanguy pointed this out to me and it’s about .5s faster. You widen the turn, going left under the rumble strips. More speed carried, more revs.

its a dope track but the competition is pretty weak tbh

Not a lot of good racing there for you? Do none of the regional series you race go through? Or, is it just club?

Seems like many of us for the rental race were from up north. Place is a karting Disneyland.

1 Like

no reginal/natinal races come to amp only races run there is the club races

I guess it would be an odd place to race bigger events given it’s length. But with 30hp it would be a different animal. In rentals it’s pretty chill. Seems ideal for shifter.

Come to think of it, I doubt AMP can handle all the big trucks for a big karting event. Which is weird because they have a big race track.

There isn’t much in the way of trailer parking near the track (plenty car spots tho).

The condos going up look interesting. Please let me win lottery and retire. I am ready to accept grits into my life.

Guess who is getting a DD and a 3060ti?
Thanks! @tankyx

2 Likes

Hi,
Had Kartkraft for a few weeks now and without a doubt the best karting sim out there. I used to race karts at Tilbury and Rye House in Hoddeson many years ago!
I’m having difficulty getting it to run in VR mode. The PC specs are above recommended settings for Kartkraft. I have an Oculus quest 2 and have tried to get it working in VR but it’s been undrivable.
Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong or how to set up properly in Steam would be most grateful. Seems like a lot of knowledgable sim racers out there so if you can spare the time and lend a hand that would be great!
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Dave,
So you can see the game but it’s running badly? What’s the issue?

It’s completely unplayable, it’s in 3d but jumps all over the place. I’m guessing I’ve not got it set up right. Don’t really know what I’m doing wrong! :flushed:

Thanks for the reply by the way :+1:

Hmm. I think probably that’s going to be an @developer on the discord to get them to look. I have heard people with powerful cards saying that it runs badly for them, despite 3080.

Does the game run correctly in desktop mode?

So, basically, really low frame rate, jerky? Visually Ok though?

Hi Dom,

Running normally, ie no VR, just hdmi connected to TV it runs perfectly. No frame rate drop not jerky at all. I think I must go through my settings etc and have another go at VR. Not sure what I’m doing wrong though.
Cheers,
Dave

So, no issues using it for other games (oculus)?

In my case I use older lenovo that is a windows mixed reality device that uses steam vr.

To start the game I will make sure headset is connected and in awoken state. Usually this means I have to unplug and replug the usb for the headset.

I then launch kartkraft from steam. I get a window asking me if I want to start it in desktop or vr.

I choose vr and it launches.

In game settings, the particle effects is a killer frame rate wise. So are shadows.

With my 1070 I have to run pretty much low settings to get 90fps constant

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-au/help/purchases-and-rewards/article/connecting-steamvr-to-the-oculus-rift/000062864?isSso=true&refreshStatus=noLoginData

Hi Dom,
I’ve only tried using it for Kartkraft. I am using Steam to connect through and probably my fault and not anything else! Since my last failed attempt I put the Oculus in the cupboard and just connected using hdmi!
I’ll give it another go tonight if I’m home in time and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated mate. :+1:t3:
Dave

I got the new CSW DD from fanatec (and a 3060ti):

It’s a game changer (the DD). They say “it doesn’t make you faster.” I am not so sure about that.

The DD offers a level of sensory information that is miles ahead of my belt drive (which was very good). It’s a bit hard to explain but the wheel provides extremely high detail. You feel the road, it’s undulations, the grain of the asphalt, everything. You feel the tire and are directly connected to it via the wheel. It feels like a direct connection where you are a rigid part of the kart. Instant info and instant reaction.

You also feel much more of the subtleties. Within the turn, you feel the grip better and have a very high level of control. You know where grip ends, kinda. You also can feel the individual tires better and sense their grip/state quite clearly.

It is almost impossible to crash. You would need to run into something directly. If you lose control, it will be brief. You can catch just about anything with a DD. It is intuitive and easy. It makes perfect sense.

This is a lot closer to IRL. It still has its peccadillos but, WOW! If you sim, you will be wanting this. At around 550, it’s a must get, I think. It’s that good.

The 3060ti appears to be insanely good. I haven’t pushed it yet but it’s a massive improvement in VR. With the 1070 I had all effects low. I ran a bunch of laps at high settings and got solid 90fps. Game on!

Sorta mind boggling that DD can be had so inexpensively and in such a nice package.

Here’s a lap with higher video settings. Compared to my old normal, looks very good. Much higher textures shadows, etc.

3060ti:

1070:

@16:14 timestamp is an example of how DD makes it easy to “catch” errors:

Even when you get crossed up, you can still control things, kart responds.