Sim Racing Megatopic

This is what I got first. I think I started sim with forza 5? On Xbox at 43 years old or around 8 years ago.

At some point I decided I needed a better setup than a wheelstand and the tx. I then got a fanatec belt drive and slowly upgraded rig, bringing shakers into the mix and a Playseat challenge (which later was replaced by the simlab 80/20).

I had the blue version of this when I was playing NASCAR '95 and '96.

Got a good deal on a used Buttkicker. Wow that changes the experience.

Oh my sweet summer child…

You are doomed. Prepare for the next phase of rig building.

Allow me to introduce you to these:

So these have huge range, require much more continuous power and are much more subtle.

Two of these would be ideal. 4 would be even more ideal. At 6, you start running constant effects on just one shaker. (rpm, engine noise, etc). Sim hub allows for 8, as you can set audio to full on surround which is 8 channels in windows. Bear in mind that you want to be able to deliver 135 continuous to these so 8 requires 1000w amp.

Since I bought em piecemeal I bought 300w amp per pair.

I started like you with a single bk2. Then got another, then tried the aura types, and then stumbled upon the platinum version of the Clarke which I bought on eBay for around 150.

5-17khz (platinum) and goes into audible realm. Thus I’d suggest the golds, since they don’t produce audio. (10-17khz). There’s also the silvers which are 15-17khz and require less amplification (100-125 continuous).

These things are crazy expensive new (gold are like 400 and platinum are 600ish).

But, I’ve managed to get two functional platinums for less than 200 each on eBay.

I also bought one “as is” and it didn’t work. I sent it to Clark and they gave me 200 credit or something for the internal magnet (very pricey). Basically they gave me 50% off new one for the magnet.

I use a couple of the inexpensive Chinese Amps. I believe I got a 300w stereo amp for a relative song and dance new.

Ultimately I retired the bk2. They are a great start but they just don’t have the range or oomph imho.

If you value your wallet and relationships it’s very very important that you do not search eBay for Clark Synthesis.

Should you not heed my warning I’d look into silvers and golds. The platinum is overkill and cannot be mounted vertically. The golds and silvers can be mounted any way up or sideways.

Also are you running simhub or having it respond to game audio?

I will not research those lol.

I’m using the iracing built in telemetry based LFE with a USB sound card to drive it discreetly. There’s also an advantage there of having the actual wheel slip data available since they don’t let that out to prevent cheating.

I do have sim hub for other sims but I mainly got it because I want to build a wind sim

It’s a slippery slope and you’ll just want more. I can feel the back end shift, tho and I don’t even have a motion rig lol.

Currently running two platinums on the pedal tray, two Daytons under the seat, a gold in the 80/20 by the seat, and the remaining bk2 on the frame by seat as well.

Once I replace the last bk2 I think I’m done for a bit. What I need next is someone to weld plates directly to car seat frame and run two golds on seat instead of the weak Daytons.

Just having the motors on the fanatec pedals and formula wheel are huge. I can definitely see my setup evolving.

1 Like

Just joined the forum and really enjoying the content.

Anyone interested in rfactor 2 superkart racing at road courses like Donnington, Oulton Park, Suzuka, Lime Rock, CTMP, Nordschleife?

I’m flexible on days and times. I can spin up a rF2 server as needed.

Here’s a clip from the ring: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f59sfgZlF55vRGpTTb34R-kVGLTy1cyv/view?usp=sharing

I’m also interested in racing rfactor 2 kartsim X30 and KZ karts on short tracks.

3 Likes

Welcome! :checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag: (20 chars)

I might be open to getting my arse kicked. @Alan_Dove ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/jcvyzr/unintentional_drift_worked_out_ok/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1 Like

Gotta admit that racing superkarts on the ring seems pretty awesome. I’d be tempted.

I pretty much haven’t simmed at all since the K1 Superkart championship. Burnt me out from simming. Plus the sim PC stopped wanted to lay ball lol

Sweet drift, James! :muscle::muscle::muscle:

I think there are maybe some sim people that do drift racing stuff. They seem to make drifting specific steering wheels for sim racers. I also assume that they must have the ability to mod steering rack etc.

I haven’t seen drift specific wheels, but you can get ebrake handles and what not. Drifting is fun in asseto corsa.

1 Like

So me and Nick attempted to drift my spouses Cayenne this winter. We found a big old parking lot covered in snow and ice and went at it pretty good. Used an island to denote the infield and went small oval.

It’s remarkable how effective modern traction control is. It said “no” as you tried to put down power and set the rear loose. Very odd feeling, trying to put down power that won’t come.

Thankfully there’s a button for that!

I do wonder if Clarkson et al “TCS off” way of filming has made a bunch of folks turn it off by default (which is a very bad idea for normal driving, imho).

After I put a lift on my FJ cruiser it gained a tendency to lift the inside front a little bit. As soon as that happens stability kicks in and it gets a hugely exaggerated weight transfer due to the softer rear springs and the brakes applying on the outside.

1 Like

That must be… interesting!

Live for speed’s 1000fps physics engine.

There’s a guy who does videos where he mods the tracks…

Monaco but 5x elevation, that kind of stuff, very cool.

https://youtube.com/c/LightningHotlaps