Sim Racing Megatopic

Still plugging away, slow progress. soon. It’s the usual shenanigans of being able to do fast times in all 3 sectors but making a mess of 1 of em. I swear driving is mostly self inflicted failures:

These seem interesting and are affordable.:.in the fancy pedal space.

Wellp, managed to finally get booted from YouTube for my music listening while streaming. Week ban.

YouTube music should have stuff you can stream, imho. I like to listen to music while I drive.

That’s a bummer. YouTube doesn’t have any sort of music overlay option? Seems lame for how often I’m getting promo emails for “YouTube Music” or whatever.

It might but I kind of ignored YouTube music and subbed to Tidal for their higher quality audio.

I will have to see if there’s any sort of playlists or channels I can veg out to whilst trying to apex.

Just some shifter progress…

Trying another host, too.

Love how you smother those curbs. Also, it’s hilarious to me to imagine any human being driving with one arm CONSTANTLY planted on the shift lever :rofl:

1 Like

The kerbs are so interesting in this game. You can really wrap the frame on some of them and do all sorts of cool stuff. I have had some pretty fun island ones with 1.5 wheels on track. The kerb dynamics are not realistic to the actual kerbs, tho, as I’m sure you recall. If you took the kerbs at 5? (back straight wiggle at start) like I do here, they’d react differently IRL, and you’d get wrecked. I think KK kerb volume isn’t the same, like they are less tall and less wide. I think @tankyx explained to me once that they are textures, sometimes.

1 Like

I have yet to drive AMP IRL, but it’s on my list of places to make a weekend trip with the shifter sometime. Looks fun.

I guess a better way of putting it is that the amp kerbs are thicc IRL as compared to game.

Sub 45, Finally

I did an interesting thing in the final turn. The ghost had outbraked me and was getting under /ahead of me so I kind of early rotated the kart down to a tight, inside line out. It worked. I was able to carry the sector off in a .1X which is quick. It’s not what I normally do there, but it was fast, which gets me wondering. Anyways, what’s cool about it is that it wasn’t conscious. I just did it and then was like, wow, that was actually pretty good!

1 Like

It’s just really nice as an experience. It’s really quite pretty and like I said before, reminds me of a links style golf course like the Ocean course at Kiawah.

On rentals, it’s chill since there isn’t much driver energy expended going fast in relatively straight lines. At 92 mph, however, going into the back corner EOS, I’m sure you’d have a different take. :crazy_face:

@jfeder I am on pause from IRL racing until my wife’s health improves and my son has to go to college. So, no Enduro for me at AMP this year.

@Bimodal_Rocket Sucks to hear, hope stuff improves for you all soon.

Let me know if/when you’re thinking of making the trip, I’ll hook you up with a guest pass. I’ve been toying with the idea of potentially adding a shifter to the garage at some point in the next year or so, so depending on when you come down I might be able to run around out there with ya.

3 Likes

Will for sure let you know! Appreciate you mentioning it!

So I think I learned something, finally

Tanguy once told me that I drive with the rear locked down, that I seem to want the back end to be fully planted for stability.

I kinda didn’t know what he meant, exactly, or rather that I couldn’t see what he meant.

At AMP the turn into the island chicane at end of middle straight kinda opened my eyes. I have been struggling with getting the kart pointed properly to get a strong run through the island chicane section.

With the rear end locked down, trying to get the kart pointing far enough left is very difficult and too grippy. It’s doable but very inconsistent. Probably slower minimum speed, too

By letting the back end move freely as you navigate between 6 and 7, things change. If you let it go as the pendulum of the turn carries you, the back end starts to come around in the direction you want to point the kart, without having to force it. Adding back throttle while turning right to island ends the back movement and settles the rear wheel and off you go. Much simpler.

So, TLDR, I think I understand what Tanguy meant when he said i was too locked down. It can be ok to let the back move, if it’s helpful and doesn’t involve sliding around. Here, letting the back end chase the front allows you to get the kart around early and throttle down sooner.

1 Like

Be water my friend, and ride the waves of energy to the desired trajectory. :grin:
And the best thing is you get to create the waves you ride. :wink:

1 Like

Surfing and karting, in my experience, share a lot in common. Planing/slip angle, etc. Similar feels, too. Momentum, directional snappiness, speed. Carving a wave and ducking in and out of the barrel, cutting back, smashing the lip… or even, just dropping in and gunning it down the line… it feels like a turn complex does to the person piloting a kart. You are both describing a line and expressing directional changes similarly.

Difference is, our ocean never goes flat. (We hope).

1 Like

Simcube Activepedal

Interesting design.

What does ActivePedal mean?

Active means it produces all pedal force with a motorized actuator and control algorithms. This is the opposite to passive pedals which rely on rubbers, springs or cylinders. Active control is the magic behind infinite adjustability and consistency.

Price and availability not posted yet. I am guessing it won’t be cheap. It can be used for anything (brake, throttle, clutch). I am guessing it’s primarily meant to be a brake only replacement.

Fanatec big Podium on sale -$500

Hi Dominique, despite the supply delays we’ve seen across the whole year, we were recently able to secure all components for the Podium Racing Wheel F1, and run the production line at full capacity. Because we know it will be difficult to get your hands on our entry-level bases until next year, we decided to offer the Podium Racing Wheel F1 at a reduced price for a limited time (or as long as stocks last). For more information about the availibility of our products you can read more here.

$1299.95 !

(previously $1799.95 )

1 Like

Please don’t. Just no.

Oculus co-founder makes a VR headset that can literally kill you

Sword Art Online inspires Palmer Luckey to put explosive charges on a Quest Pro.

by Kyle Orland - Nov 7, 2022 4:28pm EST

Login to bookmark200

Looks comfortable…

Palmer Luckey

The idea that dying in a video game or simulation could cause your death in real life is a common trope that has appeared in dozens of fictional works in recent decades. Now, though, Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey has made the concept real.

On his personal blog, Luckey writes of a new VR headset he has designed that uses three embedded explosive charges, planted above the forehead, that can “instantly destroy the brain of the user.” The lethal explosion is triggered via “a narrow-band photosensor that can detect when the screen flashes red at a specific frequency,” Luckey writes, making it easy to set off during a “Game Over” screen.

Reviews of this (the actual unit, not the above one) have been not that great. It’s been reported to be uncomfortable and hobbled by its choice to be wireless and uses a chip that doesn’t allow it to live up to current potential. Appears to be a pass, for now. It’s a pity that it doesn’t live up to it’s potential. At least in this early iteration. For non-simmers, the controllers feature snapdragon chip plus 3 cameras so the tracking is perfect for things like beat saber. -Dom