Sim Racing Megatopic

Given my experience with shakers and how I have experienced my mind being tricked into feeling kart movement, I’d imagine a motion sim can impart much with subtle movements.

The issue is just to fine tune the feedback correctly, or it can throw you off

@tankyx

Given the relatively brisk pace of card variations over the past little while, how would you spend your GPU budget?

One could get a:

3070ti for 650-700 (used 500)

3080 for 650-700 (used 550-600)

4070 for 830

What’s the right thing for a sim racer to do?

Anything I’m missing? Radeon? 4060ti?

RTX4000 is a no-go

3070ti is a bit overpriced, 3080 is a good deal.

1 Like

Is the 4-series a no go because of price?

Or something else?

Price mostly, far too expensive for the performance and the features. DLSS3 is bad. Only the 4090 gives a good bump in performance

1 Like

I did a swap of a vr headset for the v3.

1 Like

@Bimodal_Rocket What do you think so far?

I have not tried them yet. I shall report back today/

They are pretty good so far. The rumble motors are pretty subtle and I’m not sure if I feel anything from them. They work though. The travel in the accel is a bit odd so I just added the pedal extender.

So far, my first 75 or so laps was 1/10th off because I wasn’t finding the fast line in s3. Three s1-s2 complex appears to be easier and more consistent with them, though.

I think I will find them to be just fine.

I don’t feel the rumble motors at all; maybe because I wear shoes when I drive. Anyway, I mounted a couple of those 5"? base shakers under my pedal mounting plate, and those give pretty good lockup threshold feedback.

It could be the two massive Clarke platinums I have under pedals dominating.

More or less back on pace. I’m seeing better pedal modulation, actually. Not faster yet, but the consistency is promising.

I could feel them, maybe I just had the right shoes.

They don’t seem to have adjustable strength. I could imagine without shakers, they would come through. I have two large shakers attatched to pedal plate already though. I’m quite happy with them so far.

I added the pedal extender to the throttle to make the throw shorter. I feel like it is easier to be less “full on” with these, a bit more modulation in the throttle.

@zipty842

Do you recommend using the dampener on the throttle? It seems you had it installed once.

I liked how it smoothed the throttle down when lifting. I thought it helped prevent slappy throttle.

Ok will try it then. Thanks!

In the category of WTF:

It’s not sim racing but it’s related, these are gaming streamers. They are gaming from a wealthy neighborhood in hopes to boost views/donations. Problem is, they don’t actually live in these neighborhoods so they ey set up shop in the street.

Edit: I think these might not be gaming streamers as there is not a PC or whatnot in sight. That being said, they are still people streaming which is closely related to online gaming/streaming. The whole situation seems straight out of sci-fi techno nomads or hotspot hobos.