KT100 Clutch Weight?

(Andy Kutscher) #1

Should weight of a clutch for a KT100 be a consideration? Coming from other forms of racing it would seem this is a critical factor in choosing a clutch as it’s something that bolts directly to the crank.

I started out a couple of years ago and bought a L&T clutch. It works great, I have zero complaints and I have all the tools to service it but never really thought about the weight of these clutches when choosing, and no manufacturer seems to list the weights of them either.

Recently my brother purchased a KT100 that came with a Horstman clutch on it, when evaluating the differences one bit factor came to light which is that the Horstman is smaller in diameter and 90 grams lighter…about a 12% reduction in rotating mass.

L&T 2 disk mini = 728 grams / 25.7oz
Horstman 2 disk = 637 grams / 22.5oz

Is this one of the secrets of karting we just haven’t figured out yet, the clutches all seem to fundamentally work the same once you set stall speed.
Are there other factors in play we’re not thinking about here?

does anyone have the weight of a patriot 2-disk to compare?

Am I crazy here or is it worth switching to a lighter clutch if I’m trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of this thing?

Thanks,