LO206 Hilliard clutch issue

I recently picked a used Arrow X2-31C chassis. Also, got a Baker Racing 206 with one race on it and a Hilliard flame clutch.

I got everything setup and took it for a short spin in the neighborhood this afternoon. The engine did fine, but I believe I may have an issue with the clutch. It was smoking pretty good after a couple for short trips up/down the road. I’ve read a good bit about the clutch installation and watched quite a few videos. The bearing race overhangs the crankshaft by about .025 and the clutch assembly is tight on the crankshaft shoulder. But, the clutch drum does have some play after the assembly is torqued down.

Am I missing a spacer or is it OK for the drum to have some play? Before I installed the clutch, I wiped down the inside of the drum with a very light coat of WD-40 and then wiped most of that off with a dry rag.

• I have a short video of the clutch smoking, but can’t seem to figure out how to attach it.

Daniel

Which Hillard? Hopefully the flame. You don’t want any oil on the fire shoes. What RPM does it engage at? Driving in your neighborhood is probably not doing it any favors.

It’s a Flame. Not sure of RPMs because I’ve yet to get a Mychron. We probably ran it a few hundred yards.

Initially, I thought it was possibly just the very light film of WD40 burning off the inside of the drum. But, the drum was quite hot.

Daniel

Just to follow up in case anyone is curious in the future. I spoke with a Hilliard tech today and the heat/smoke is due to basically “riding” the clutch at low speeds/rpms. He explained that once I’m on track it should be fine.

He also said a little play in the clutch drum is normal/acceptable since I have the Bully sprocket conversion kit.

Daniel

1 Like

Most Flames with the Bully kit are sloppier than a drunk prom date.

1 Like