Looking at options! lo206 seems logical

Karting 101 << Great read!

Learn how to Master the Art of Kart Driving <<will buy as soon as I have a kart!

Where are you located?

Lancaster, CA

What age bracket are you in? Junior (<16), Senior (16+) or Masters (30+)

26 years old

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your mechanical ability, or willingness to wrench on things?

10, Automotive Master tech with aerospace experience and engine building (Honda Certified)

Talk a little about your racing experience so far.

Started on dirtbikes as a young teenager. Desert and some MX. Went to supersport motorcycles and ran on track. Drifted for a few years and developed drift car suspension parts. Tried some offroad type racing (way too expensive. Way way too expensive to even consider continuing). And I do HPDE’s now.

What’s the main thing you need help with to get you started.

Kart engine, chassis, part compatibility. Finding out which karts are the most popular and which events to go spectate to see what’s going on.

Hi everyone. This forum is really great!! I’m sure it will grow in popularity! Facebook and Instagram are a disappearing wall. Forums last for decades and preserve precious information.

As someone who doesn’t Kart yet. LO206 seems like the best intro option to karting. I was concerned that it might seem to slow, but plenty of testimonials from ex car racers have assured me that they’re anything but slow!

1 Like

There’s plenty of folks who start in shifters that regret it but I’ve never seen anyone cryin’ on a 4 stroke. Yee-Haw!

4 Likes

Personally, starting with a 206 is a great way to get into the sport, without having to deal with the initial frustration of having to understand how a two-stroke motor works as well.

Classes are pretty popular, so you always have someone to race. The engines are very simple, so they are easy to fix and replace. The kart is slow, so you’re not scared that you’re going to die, and you get to learn most of the karting basics without having to spend money on soft tires and etc etc.

Welcome to karting. Get a 206.

Do you want fun, affordable grassroots racing? You want a 206. Don’t believe me? Just keep reading. :wink:

Racing an 206 allowed me to get the seat time that I craved, while spending ample time having fun on the track with my friends. Once I had my first session in the kart, I was enlighted why Briggs and Stratton made this engine formula. Once I had my first race, I was hooked.

There are several great things about the 206 package that I personally find make it one of my favorite packages to race:

• Affordable cost to enter- Racing 206 is extremely affordable. . The 206 makes it easy to promote to new people to get into the sport ( which is probably one of the most important things needed in karting right now) . Packages are affordable to purchase brand new. They run on pump gas, and there always is a class for them to race in. For racers who need to manage a budget, or who want to do more events per year, it’s an affordable way for them to be able to practice and compete often. Market prices for a 206 engine and full chassis package are pretty level everywhere, so it’s very easy to get one for a fair price.

• Sealed engine package keeps engines easy to work on and fair- Being a sealed engine package prevents people from being able to out spend you to the front of the pack by tweaking the engine with special secrets. You can’t do that with the 206, so you know that the engine you have is the same as what the winners have. Also, a sealed engine package makes it so it limits the number of things that you have to watch and maintain between races. All I do is change the oil, check the bolts for tightness and check the clutch before every race, so it’s dead simple.

• Larger fields sizes makes for some fun racing- In any local area, running TAG or Shifter can be a mixed bag, because the fields sizes are fairly small. It’s not fun running around in a heat of five karts. The affordable, control nature of the 206 packages allows for more people to enter each race. It’s typical to see upwards of 20 racers in a field, from the club to national levels, running on a hard-compound control tire which makes for some awesome battles and allows you to improve your racecraft. Which leads me to my final point…

• It helps your driving overall, and it’s so fun to drive- Being such a low horsepower package, you really have to understand how to maximize momentum when driving a 206. Being smooth and tidy, making sure that you plan your attacks properly and understanding how to work traffic are skills that will make you a successful 206 racer. You have to master the fundementals to be a fast racer in this class. If you do decide to move to another class, those skills will be invaluable.

Racing an 206 has been an eye-opener. A fun eye opener . It’s basically the Spec Miata of karting. You’re able to drive at 10/10th’s easily, which makes for some exciting racing with competitors. It’s been helping to grow the sport of karting in ways that haven’t been seen in a while, due to it’s affordable cost and being so accessible. As much as I like racing other classes, it does become a frustrating situation when so many racers leave the sport, because they feel like they can’t afford to keep up with the growing expenses at higher levels, or get the seat time required to be at the front.

At the end of the day, karting needs to be fun. Racing the 206 is serious fun and can be immesenly competitive. Whenever you get a chance, you need to hop in a 206. You’ll definately enjoy it.

Don’t believe me? Take a look at this video from racers from New Zealand. They get how the 206 helps to #keepkartingfun.

2 Likes

With your racing experience you will likely long for more power in a season or two but a year in 206 will be invaluable learning momentum conservation with the driving dynamics of karts and dealing with traffic. Good choice.

1 Like

It’s funny. The 206 hasn’t taken off everywhere here. When I was looking at getting a kart I was quite interested in a 206, but it’s very patchy whether you’ll find anyone here to get on the track with. The 206 can’t get out with the other senior Karts (for obvious reasons), and there is no field most club days.

I am really happy that I went for Rotax with my reasoning being that the learning curve is longer and it will take me many more days of practice laps to be anywhere near it’s potential. There’s no denying that even for practice it’s significantly more expensive though.

I’d seriously look to buy a 206 to race, and practice in the 2-stroke for the thrill, if that option was available to me.

Are you on the east coast?

Of New Zealand, yes.

Ah. I was wondering. 206 is quiet on the east coast US, but in good shape pretty much everywhere else.

/Note to self… re-add location/mapping functionality to forums.

2 Likes

All good.

Yes, I actually perused the forum for a bit before I bought a kart and assumed 206 would be the only/logical choice, but obviously we just don’t have the numbers.

A couple of the kart clubs have some great 206 support and perhaps we will here one day.

1 Like

How about little flags we could have next to name?

3 Likes

“Anything but slow” is a very relative term. If you compare it to a, say, KA100, it is slow. Now that might not be a bad thing for a beginner, so many things will be new to you, and your attention will be drawn to so many aspects of the sport, the 4 cycle might be a good place to start. So many people get started in karting thinking that the driving of the kart will be the easiest part (relatively) of the learning curve. It’s not. It’s the hardest. The “slower” speeds will give you a chance to refine your driving skills. Also, because of the evenness in power between the engines, (this creates a lot of close competition) your skills with driving will become even more important.

Slow is relative too. This is for the new guys benefit not a refutation of what you said. To a new driver, an lo206 feels fast. It will arguably be the fastest kart most people have sat in.

So when you are staring down the braking zone, it will be novel enough that you will initially be like “well this is fast enough”.

1 Like

206 will pound around a turn faster than a lot of “racing” cars.

So there’s that

That’s what I enjoyed about it, you get a nice break on the straights to enjoy scenery, or think about the next turn.

Thanks so much. It’s great to see more people understand the need for forums AND social media.

I see you’re in NorCal, but I’m going to ping @Norcal_Karters anyway because he’s an all around super helpful dude, in Cali

I’m scanning this post, so if I repeat, excuse me. One problem I see with online threads of how to get into karting is we get stuck keyboard karting.

If you are in Lancaster, call Stu Hayner at https://mdgkarting.com and schedule a test drive or a karting day. He seems to be a great resource for new and local Karters in SoCal.

Get in the kart, drive it, then come back here and report your day and experience. Then reach out to guys like Davin who have very intricate write ups on our sport from budgets to expectations.

Then share with a friend.

Keep in mind if you talk to 10 people about your first kart, you’ll get ten different answers.

Step 1 - Go rent one of a day
Step 2 - Come back here and share
Step 3 - research your desired level, region, budget, etc
Step 4 - come back here and sharei

2 Likes

Good callout which reminds me to re-implement the “selected answer” feature at next build for the forums.

2 Likes

Jason nailed it. Good advice, man.