New Member Welcome! Apr 9 - 15, 2019

Big welcome to our new members this week: April 9th - 15th!

@PNWKR
@Steve_Parkseat
@jpine324
@Alejandro
@Mandrake
@kokoshig5
@Jungleboy
@Jgbedford
@Daniel_Tam
@Eric_Marzoppi

Thank you so much for joining the Kartpulse community.
Introduce yourself below! Tell us a little about how you’re involved with karting.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the welcome! Not really sure what to say here, so I guess I’ll just riff from the cuff…

I work on and modify military aircraft at the depot level as an civilian aircraft electrician. I started on C-130s, got moved over to F-16s, and am back on the 130s. I served six years in the military, have worked in the automotive industry, had an ASE master cert, and am a dual rated pilot, obtaining a CFII in helicopters.

My first experience with a go kart of any kind was in the summer of '04 on a 125cc TK shifter kart. My mind was blown but life happened, and I never got around to getting one until this March, when I picked up an '05 TK Krypton shifter. My intentions were mainly to participate in test and tunes and autocrosses and potentially start racing once I felt I would be safe enough to be out there with the guys that take it very seriously. Unfortunately, two weeks after I bought the kart, I heard that the local karting organization failed to renegotiate their contract with the only track within seven hours of here, so my only use of the kart for the time being will be at the autocrosses. I’ve been on the kart a few times at the parking lot where my fiance works, and have very much enjoyed the experience so far.

I’ve spent the past few weeks tidying up the wiring, hoses and cables, replacing the front wheel bearings, installing a thermostat, rebuilding the front calipers, converting the front brake lines to -3AN because OTK lines are no longer available (I broke the fitting off inside the line when I was removing it from the caliper), redoing all the safety wire, mounting up a set of MG greens on the spare set of wheels the kart came with, installing some skid plates, adjusting the ergonomics to fit me, and generally just familiarizing myself with the machine.

I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve spent with the kart, both in the seat and in the shop, and will be taking it out for it’s first autocross very soon. I appreciate the knowledge and experience you have here on this board, and I’m glad I can be a part of such a supportive community. Thanks for having me.

2 Likes

That truly sucks about the karting track issue in your area. Auto crossing karts seems really interesting. Particularly since there are no “rules”. I am guessing that your kart is gonna end up looking pretty different over time.

Welcome… are you near Utah? It’s a shame that the contract wasn’t renegotiated for that track… Too bad you’re not in NC…I would help you offset your karting expenses via helicopter lessons. :slight_smile:

It’s extremely unfortunate, especially since the supermoto guys that use the same track that the karts use were able to work something out…

I’ve heard two different stories about the rules for karts at the autox. One is that the kart needs to remain stock with the exception of tire compound, and the other being that you could throw a CBR1000RR engine on the back and as long as it passes tech, it’s good. I’ve yet been able to nail down the book, but because my kart is stock and I won’t be running rears up front like I’d asked about in the other thread, I’m not overly worried. The usual tech inspection requirements applies with the exception of glycol coolant being allowed, and as for safety gear, the only difference between what a kart track would require and the autox is that you can do jeans and a motorcycle jacket (textile or leather) in lieu of a suit. Nothing needs to be nomex and no head sock required, if those are usual track requirements.

Occasionally a kart will show up, but it’s rare. I think with the track off the table, more karters will be out there this year. Generally speaking, if a kart shows up, everyone with a car pretty much writes off their hopes of fast time of the day. Even a poorly driven kart on medium compound tires will absolutely annihilate 99% of the automotive field.

Hi Ted, yes I’m in Utah. I have a few friends stationed at No-Hope Pope, and if I ever get out that way, I’ll look you up. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello all! I’m Steve, I’m new to karting and I am racing out of PSGKA Washington. Driving a CRG powered by a Rotax Max.

Hi guys and welcome, fairly new myself but since I’m up and browsing thought I’d pop in and say hello :grin:. Anyway you’ve joined a great forum in my opinion, some very knowledgeable and helpful people on here.
Good to see a fellow ex serviceman by the way albeit from across the pond :+1:.

1 Like

Hello,

Been apart of an arrive and drive program for the past 6 years. I just recently purchased a used Intrepid Cruiser MS3 with a Vortex ROK GP motor. The Kart has less than 50 laps on it, so I really lucked out - everything is basically brand new, just 2 years old. I’m new to 2 stroke, so I am sure I will have lots of questions over time.

I am Canadian and live just north of Toronto.

Happy to be part of the community!

2 Likes