Rain setup with stiff chassis, too much grip

I have been trying to figure out what setup works for my tecno kart in the rain for almost 2 seasons now, and i haven’t quite got it yet.
I have recently been speaking to the importer of the kart in my country, and he said that it “has too much grip”.
Have you guys ever experienced something like that in the rain before?

I am going to practice in the rain today, and looking forward to try and take the grip out of the kart. Just to see what it does… (Keeping the same setup as in the dry, but with less caster and more rear width)

I will update this post later on what the different setups does and if it helped.

In relation to your dry setup;

1. Front width?
  2. Rear with?
  3. Toe?
  4. Air pressures?

Front width: 15 mm
Rear width: 1390 mm (dry tires. I will start out with keeping the same spacers in the hubs, and afterwards try to push them out further)
Toe: 0 mm (on the trolley)
Air pressure: Le Cont LH-03, 0.8 bars hot (11.6 psi)

The forecast seems like it might be a dry practice later.

I’m going to update this thread whenever i get the chance to drive in the wet again, if not today :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit.
Changed camber to 2 mm negative, and toe to 2 mm out

1 Like

A chassis that is stiffer will have a hard time flexing enough in the rain, because there’s not as much force being generated by the tires to flex the kart.

The universal adjustments that almost everyone makes for rain, regardless of chassis are:

• max front width
  • minimum rear width
  • full caster
  • increase toe out
  • raise seat

There are plenty more adjustments to make depending on your chassis, but those are the ones that are common across most karts.

1 Like

I definitely have tried all that several times, though never achieving that old feeling of grip i had when i was driving tony kart.

Two of the other tecno drivers said that they removed the front bar and took away the caster from their dry setup

Some of our Tony Kart drivers like to remove the front bar for rain, which seems insane to me, but it works for some of them. Might be worth trying.

A lot of it comes down to driver feel as well, since the rain really puts an emphasis on the driver’s ability to feel where the grip is.

What mm chassis?

Can we get more details on “too much grip”. What does that look like for you? It seems to mean different things to different people.

How does it feel like it’s slowing you down?
What kinds of turns and stages of turns is this happening?

1 Like

Update on today.

1050 mm chassis TJ.

I found that the kart had waaaay too much grip in the rear. It was almost locked on corner entry. Severe understeer.
I tried giving the front all the grip i could, which didn’t do too much at all. That was because of the insane rear grip.
I tried removing the front bar, which made the kart driveable but still with too much rear grip compared to the front.

When i first got my jecko seat, i let the importer of tecno karts (denmark) set it up for me. As it turns out, he had installed it with the KZ measurements. That means that my seat is positioned 2 centimetres too far back, which explains the insane grip in the rear.
Next Saturday I’ll position the seat after the single speed measurements and try it out. I think the feel of the kart will be very different, and i will finally be able to drive fast in the rain again

I meant the tubing diameter, not the wheelbase.

The frame is a 30 mm sorry :wink:

If it’s pushing in all kinds of turns and stages of turns, I’d look at seat position above anything else.

Throw a 1-2” piece of styrofoam (polystyrene) under your butt to raise it and go for a few laps.

I have tried both with and without a pillow under the seat. The front is still pushing far into the corner and the rear is still as planted. I think the answer to all my problems in both rain and dry is the seating position. That might also make the kart respond more logically to setup changes🤔

Do you have any on board video? It might help if we can see what the kart is actually doing in the rain.

The only reason this puzzles me is because karts that have a lot of grip tend to do pretty well in the rain. One of my favorite karts to drive in the rain was a DR Kart that tended to have too much rear end grip in the dry, but in the wet was hooked up much better than most other karts.

Typical setup stuff is like what TJ said, max front width, all the way in on the rear, raise the seat, we would also remove seat struts and put the stiffest front bar in that we could.

Your seat being 2 cm back will change a lot though, so it’s possible that the seat position is sticking the kart to the ground way too much.

2 Likes

I’ve seen guys go to a “softer” axle to get more load transfer. Might be worth a shot given all of the other adjustments you have tried.

1 Like

intresting i run 10mm toe out when its raining…