Rib Vest Recommendations for Karting

Would that be a sizing or design issue?

I have no local shop in order to try them on and was hoping to have one ordered in time for next weeks race meet… so i’ll be guessIng size off a chart. At least Bengio have a size chart!

The Tillett is adjustable for that, and I recommend it, if you prefer a vest that’s not on the bulkier side.

Design. THe curvature of the panels is too much for my chest.

I will say I had a pretty nasty hit in turn 2 at New Castle, not terrible but definitely jarred me a bit. Slid into the turn 2 barriers after a steering clip failed. My FreeM rib vest worked just as it should, and I had a little soreness on Monday but today I’m feeling fine. I think the only pain I have today is my elbow because I hit it on the motor, but the ribs are okay.

Where did you purchase your FreeM? FreeM USA isn’t very responsive to calls and email.

Definitely a matter of individual preference. I have an Arrox & like it, though I’ve never had a problem with soreness.

@realq86 I actually found it on Ebay.

If anyone is looking, there are bengios available at DKC. I just bought one and it looked like they had 5 or 6 in stock. Other than italkart and musgrave, not many seem to carry it and less have it available.

Does anyone know the difference between the following Bengio Bumper variations. I’d hate to buy the wrong thing/a fake!!

Bengio Bumper - Demon Tweeks. Seems to be the most updated one and not a bad price.

Bengio Bumper Carbon - UK kart store on eBay. Seems cheap and I’m worried it’s too good to be true. When did they change the lining colour etc? Does it look like the genuine one?

Is this an older genuine style?

The differences are just in the side panel material, whether it’s carbon or kevlar or plastic. I have the plastic one and it’s been indestructible for 4 years.

I’m pretty sure the only changes they’ve made is the graphics.

1 Like

The one I just bought looks like the bottom right one, so maybe that’s the current graphics.

1 Like

Where is the best place to purchase the Bengio in the US these days? MRC seems to be completely out of stock or simply no longer carrying them…

Try calling DKC. I got mine there in feb.

I know someone that just got one the other day, I will ask him and let you know.

1 Like

where should the protector end on your body? im afraid mine has gotten too small. It sometimes rubs under my arms and the bottom doesnt go to the bottom of my ribs.

Basically I think it need to cover the bottom of the rib cage where the top of the seat ends. That’s where you get the impacts and that’s where your ribs bruise/break.

If you are like me and have a really long torso or are very tall, TJs dad has a co. Called deepseat.
They make a seat that doesn’t hurt your ribs. ribtect seats are the other brand.
I use a deepnseat and ran in the front pack. It worked very well for me. (I also use a bengio).

im 5’10 and 130lb so super skinny. right now It still feels amazing but when the rib protector doesnt work Ill get a new one. Bengio is the absolute best

The guy I know bought his from Italianmotors.com. He had it out at COTA this last weekend and loved it.

If money was no object, I wonder how light they could make these things.

Thanks! Ordered from italianmotors.com … Shipped out the next day.

I’ll have it for TSRS at Speedsportz. Hopefully it will allow me to finish the weekend.

1 Like