Tillotson HW-27A carburettor settings

One word comes to mind……BRRRRRRRR :cold_face:

:joy:

1 Like

Hahaha that s the turn before the long straight so thats exactly brrrrrrrrrrr brbbbrbr​:joy::joy:

One more thing just in case you’re not aware, X30 likes to run at around 60 deg C, don’t push it hard if it’s not at least above 50. Close off your rad vanes partially with tape or a screen to get it in the right zone.

1 Like

Did you make sure your idle screw and throttle stops are set correctly? You could be opening the butterfly fly too much on full throttle

3 Likes

I was running around 40 :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Max throtthle is max on the carby to

When you letting it go some mm, do you then hit 16.000rpms ?

My “go to setting” is

Pop off around 10 psi
Low speed needle : 1 hour
High speed needle 1hour 20 min

1 Like

You’ll damage the engine, I dunno technically what causes it but the team tech geeks here tell me it will seize pushing it hard at low temperature. Operators manual gives the minimum temp 45 C.

1 Like

I was hitting around 13 to 14 k

But i was driving around like 6 laps and it wouldent go over 40

You have to close the radiator vanes with tape, then it will. I’d say in +6 C you’ll have to tape up at least half of the radiator, or put one of these on it.

1 Like

imma show a pic of the rad

Keep closing it until you’re running into the 50s, you could also put a winter jacket on the cylinder if you didn’t already.

1 Like

I did i have a plastic one

1 Like

It looks like all the comments are giving you good information and advice. As noted by others, your app is giving you the setting in terms of percentage opening, so 1 9/16 means 1 turn open from fully closed plus 9/16ths more. We usually speak in terms of full terns and minutes, like a clock, so 1’ 05" would mean one full turn plus 5 minutes more. The initial recommended factory settings are as follows:

For senior X30 Class: L: 1’05” H: 1’35”

For Junior X30 Class: L: 1’05” H: 1’25”

You can use your app to give you guidance on how to adjust for weather and track conditions. We generally recommend adjusting in 2 minute increments, starting with the low to get the idle correct then moving to the high to get the top end where you want it. You can do it by hand or use our Quickjet for more accurate setting. We also suggest you make a mark on the carb in paint or ink for your favorite base setting.

To test for leaks and the pop-off pressure, you need a leak detector. We sell a simple one online (243-504 Leak Detector - Tillotson), and there are lots of other versions available at your local dealer.

We also recommend checking the diaphrams at least once after each race weekend. If they look warped or defective, change them. Heavy users change them after every race weekend whether they look like they need it or not, but for lighter use, two or three times a season is usually enough.

4 Likes

Do i need to remove the carb to check the diaphrams.