Tire wear question

Second day you will lose a little if your in the rok. In the 206 I have ran 3 days and lost maybe tenth.

Just depends on the track and tire compound.

Most club guys will run them a few days or races.

Regional might be a set a weekend. National races your typically going to roll out on stickers each day in the rok as that will be required. For the rok atleast

See thats why I was wondering because I’m not worried about the lo206 tires but in the rok/x30 I’m wondering if racing with the same pair of tires for 2 races and flipping them after the first race would put me behind. I know that it will but it seems like it would hurt me significantly, especially in regionals

The regional event will tell you if you have to use 1 set for both days or a new set each day. They typically wont let you choose., they want everyone to be on the same.

They say they can run 2 sets for the weekend, so that means some will probably be on fresh tires

The front runners will be on new tires the second day for qualifying.

Dang, well I’m gonna start at the local track so I can use a pair of tires every two races, that way I can improve before going to regionals. Thanks for the help guys!

Honestly just see how you do first time around and go from there. New tires will make you faster, it just depends if you want to spend the extra 220 each race for a second set.

What series are you looking at? I am curious to see what tire they run.

So the series that I’m planning on running eventually is the SSKC (Sunshine State Karting Challenge), they say you don’t have to buy their tires, but when you are registering you have the option of buying MG yellows. For club racing, I’m planning on Ocala Gran Prix and maybe Orlando Kart Center. When I first start out I’m not gonna stress out about the tires since I’m still learning, but once I’m comfortable and want to start being more competitive I may have to buy tires every race day (bye bye money) :joy:

Keep in mind that on an MG Yellow, if you’re going to flip them, you have to do it almost every session to keep the wear even. If you run a full day on a set of Yellows and flip them the next day, they’ll have a lot of built in camber and you’ll be sliding around until they wear in again.

Reds are hard enough that they don’t seem as affected.

1 Like

So like race them the practice session, then flip them for the qualifying, then flip them for the prefinal, and then flip them for the final, and then repeat for the next day? On the competition rules they say drivers are not allowed to use tire warmers or tire prep. Is flipping tires a form of tire prep and will it cause me to be disqualified?

If so, I can use the MG Reds for the first day and then flip them for the next day instead of every session

You wont want to be on the reds if everyone else is on yellows. They will be quite a bit slower as they are a harder compound tire.

Flipping is not a tire prep, they are referring to chemicals that you can put on the tire to make it softer.

oh ok so I can use the MG yellows and switch them every session then :+1:

Any other (legal) things that I should do to prolong tire life?

Damn, dismounting and remounting 4 tires between every session sure sounds like a lot of work. You’re not just moving the lefts to the rights you are flipping them on the wheel.

2 Likes

Yeah, no way I’d be doing that :joy:

The tire will also be heat cycling every session anyway, so it will be losing performance no matter what. Flipping them is just giving you more rubber to work with.

1 Like

I Tend to buy new tyres for Race weekend. Ill put fresh ones on either P3 or for Qualiying. If i do it on Practice 3 it will be a light session just to scrub them in, mainly do this if its a track i know well and have the kart dialed in.
Otherwise ill put fresh set on before Qualifying spend 1-2 laps scrubbing hard then send it for the remanding session.

I then use those race tyres for practice throughout the week/s prior to next race meet. If i need more tyre for practice, ill find cheap new or little use tyres on marketplace and run them for practice.

It comes down to budget really, if you can afford new tyres all the time, the go for it.

if im doing State or National titles, ill put a second fresh set on Either pre Final or Final

Hoosiers tires, I know will make it through 2 days but I would be concerned about a drop off in the Main of Race 2.

Whether new tires are needed depends on the competition, depth of competition, number of entries and where you expect to finish.

I don’t think that it’s correct assessment that club racing two race old tires would be competitive. At our club in most classes you’ll finish mid pack if you don’t run new tires.

Greg, I broke my thumb and was not able to change tire the old school way, so I had to buy a tool, it’s known as a Tire Pryor.

My thumb is much better but I’m not going back to changing tires the old school way. This is so much easier. Use a tire lube and I chamfered the leading edge of the tool where it meets the inside of the tire, as it was cutting the tire bead area. Although, before the chamfer modification, the tires held pressure but the tire bead didn’t look right.

Now I can change tires and/or wheels between sessions no sweat. Best $112 spent.

For those of you that scrub in your tires… Do you run like 2 laps and go back in to let them cool of / go through a 1 heat cycle?

For example… scrub them in a practice day for 2 laps. And put them on for qualifying the next day?

This all completely depends on the tire. Even two tires in the same compound class will behave differently in terms of durability and how best to scrub them if you’re going to do that.

2 Likes