(Weekly) KartPulse Racer Videos Thread

Made it to the A Main starting P7. The guys up front are wicked fast.

2 Likes

Finally got some decent footage. Here’s a lap around my local track.

Still have a lot to learn, so I’d love your feedback.

2 Likes

Looking good! Fundamentals are there and the majority of your inputs at the wheel look nice and smooth. Now you just need to work on carrying more entry and mid corner speeds. With that means getting on the brakes harder. Don’t be afraid to spend a day just getting after it on the brakes to find that threshold of locking up when you first hit the brakes hard.

1 Like
2 Likes

Temps yesterday were in the mid-50’s, which was too good of an opportunity to pass up for mid-February in Indiana. Went down to Ceraland to break in my KZ, and run a few sessions. This was my first time back in the seat since fall of last year, and first time out in my “new to me” chassis/engine, though it’s a combo I’m familiar with.

Here’s some onboard from my last session:

1 Like

I love how a shifter engine sounds like it’s throwing bolts and washers as it starts up. What happens if you take it out of 1st in the tire warmup phase? Embarassement?

Lol, yeah they sound a lot friendlier at 15,000 rpm :grin:

I needed to build temp in the engine, so that was the main reason I was taking it easy for a few laps. That track surface is fairly abrasive, so tires come up to temp pretty quickly.

1 Like

I love to watch good drivers at work!
Excellent rotation control, excellent use of rotation control and throttle to manage corner exit trajectory, and everything strung together with a nice rhythm. :+1:

1 Like

I really appreciate the kind words, Warren!

Ceraland is an absolute blast for being a track with a 24-second lap. Looking forward to getting out to NCMP where this motor can really stretch its legs :sunglasses:

1 Like

Raced in the last Portland Karting Association Winter Series race this past Sunday. I had not been in the kart since last November. Had a lot of fun getting back into the seat and working on those lap times! I ended the day with a personal best lap time of 46.56 which cut over 2 seconds off my previous best lap time here in November. A big part of it was track time but also, I re-aligned the front end of my kart and I felt that I had WAY more rear end grip than ever before. After sorting out an engine issue earlier in the day, I was very happy with how I was running. Still a lot of work to be done! The last lap of the final race, I finally kept my foot down through turn 2! That has been my goal for awhile and it ended up being my fastest lap. The left hander after the back straight is such a tricky corner! It is a hard braking zone, the radius tightens up through the corner and it is slightly downhill / off cambered. I was finding that braking in a straight line (despite the track beginning to turn) and rotating the kart early was feeling the fastest to me. That allowed me to get back onto the gas well before the apex and drive out of the corner better. However, I’d like to get more consistent through that corner as it was hit or miss!

The race format is Australian Pursuit and there was every senior engine class on the track from LO206 to shifter karts. The shifters had to pass the field twice!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Looking good! The chassis is definitely handling better than it was in your first video from the trip. Probably newer tires in this video?

To me the balance of the chassis seems to favor the rear a bit too much.

How has your pace developed since the first day? How does it compare to others in your category?

Hope you’re having fun! Looks like a blast!

@Muskabeatz Do you mean that kart has a little too much oversteer dialed in, or too much understeer?

Sorry, I was a bit vague :laughing:…what I meant was too much understeer as-is (it was MUCH worse in the first video he posted). Yes, there are moments of mid-corner oversteer, but I think those are a result of:

1. being slightly wide of the racing line in some instances, and

2. understeer in the first third of the corner, causing the classic “push-kick” effect.

2 Likes

Aaahhh! The dreaded “Push-kick”!! It may be the hardest thing to diagnose as a tuner. Thank goodness for go pros and data. Cause the only thing the driver ever says is “it’s too free”.

1 Like

If the wind buffeting annoys you, consider a dead cat for mic. Wind baffle. They make foam ones on eBay for most Gopro models. Under 10 bucks.

It has not been too much of an issue until now which is weird. I will be getting a wind cover!

I have newer tores and since the first video i think its almost 2.7 sec

1 Like

I have a radiator curtain that is making all wind noised🤣

1 Like