What are your 2017 racing plans?

I do need to find a way to make it up to Greg Moore, so we can meet up.

1 Like

How do I acquire one of the ā€œHave you accepted kartingā€ shirts? Iā€™d definitely rock one of those, especially when I go help my buddies wrench on their late models and sprint cars at the track. Try to convert some of those roundy round car guys!

1 Like

You bug @KartingIsLife, and then, I bug James, and then he feels guilty, and then you get a shirt :stuck_out_tongue:

But the first step normally gets the job done. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@DavinRS I must focus grasshopper. Working on redesign. But yes, were in the middle of changing fulfillment companies and itā€™s probably going to be a couple of weeks before we have shirts available again.

Unless you want one thatā€™s got a ā€œKartPulse Founderā€ scent. :yum:

1 Like

I plans on running the 206 class at the OVKA this year. It sounds like we are going to have around 20 karts with more coming later in the summer. I hope to try and do some endurance races around the area with the 206 also.

2 Likes

Getting strong enough physically so they will allow me on the track is my goal for 2017.

2 Likes

Well, I done did it. My first race in a kart ever will be the Elkhart Riverwalk Grand Prix! Just entered tonight and will be working with a driver coach later this week at Concept Haulers Motor Speedway so I can figure out the whole setup thing, lol. Is anyone else racing there? I decided to go big or go home!

3 Likes

As a mid-way update, my season has just about been that dumpster fire youā€™ve mentioned. Havenā€™t started above 20th in a final, couldnā€™t get anything lucky my way in the Route 66 SS race so far, although thatā€™s only been one of 5 races for the season. The pace is there at the club, but Iā€™m really just getting unlucky at the qualifiers (ex. exhaust falling off on the last 5 turns while Iā€™m in 2nd).

This raises a question to everyone; how do you keep yourself going when nothing seems to go your way in the races?

Iā€™ve been looking at the pace, and Iā€™ve had decent feature races, 26th to 14th and 20th to 12th (with tires down to the cords), both running top 10 laptimes, but not getting ideal results. Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve been keeping myself going recently, but Iā€™m curious as to how other people have handled misfortune like that.

1 Like

Bad luck always makes you mentally tougher. I had a streak in 2012-2014 where I had horrendous luck. I was leading both USPKS TaG Sr. finals at Dousman, and my exhaust flex broke one day and my coil wire broke the next day. Then I busted my ribs up at Pitt. Then I busted them up over and over again. Then I was leading the USPKS TaG Sr. final at South Bend and driving away after dominating all day and my sprocket carrier came loose and the chain came off. And now 5 years later I STILL havenā€™t won a USPKS race.

Some of that was down to poor prepwork on our part, some of it was down to just plain old mechanical failures. You can create your own luck to an extent, but you canā€™t prepare for a part to fail of itā€™s own accord.

All it should do is fuel your hunger. All you can really do is to double-check all your stuff and make sure itā€™s tight and nothing is going to fall off.

3 Likes

To add to what TJ said, another thing to keep in mind is keep your expectations in line with your resources. i.e. if youā€™re still running that frame thatā€™s got something like 8% welding rod in it, thatā€™s going to give you an uphill battle off the bat.

3 Likes

@Aaron_Hachmeister_13

II mentioned it in one of the recent podcasts with Terence, that even Alonso has a 15% win rate. So, you have be mentally comfortable with the fact that most times, you wonā€™t win. Itā€™s important to set your expectations with the equipment you have, experience you have, how much youā€™ve prepped and luck.

Itā€™s more important that youā€™re having fun, and then good success will come from that.

2 Likes

Well, I am still running that frame, and over the weekend we realized part (most) of the issue was the frame. With 3 different engines, each with their own carb, and a different clutch on each, I was at best 500 RPM down on the rest of the field. I had absolutely no top end and struggled with it all weekend.

Along with that, if the chassis wasnā€™t straight before the weekend, it certainly wasnā€™t straight after! Saturday pre-final I got caught on the outside of someone trying 3 wide, and that punched me off the track. Then on Sundayā€™s pre-final at the start some kid tried forcing me off the track, and we caught wheels as I was on the brakes avoiding him lifting my kart nose up momentarily, and on the last lap of that race I got drilled directly off the track after one of the most optimistic pass attempts Iā€™d seen while on track all weekend.

When we put the kart on the ground, it was 4x easier to lift the inside rear when full-lock turning right vs. left, so off to the table it is to straighten this frame for the second time this year! My dad is really trying to push this frame to the end of the year and itā€™s absolutely killing me

Aaron,
The weekend is upon us and we are getting our plans together for the weekend.
Also I have a spare ticket and looking for a kart parent and child to trade beer and brats for it.

Sorry about the optimistic pass attempt. Obviously that was not a good move by my guyā€¦ I didnā€™t even know what happened. I was like ā€œwaitā€¦ how did he get to the bottom of the track, he was on the outside of Aaron on entryā€¦?ā€ :-1: We ended up having to throw a new steering shaft in.

1 Like

I appreciate the apology, I was giving him the outside knowing that he was there and didnā€™t even see him until I was backwards. Oh well, itā€™s racing. I was POd for a couple hours but Iā€™m over it, that chassis was trash all weekend anyways.

@spribyl unfortunately with the incidents last weekend I canā€™t bring the kart as I have to throw it on a straightening table before I can get back on track in two weeks :confused: Iā€™ll still be there to support karting and do all the fun stuff but the chassis just canā€™t be with me. Youā€™re bringing your frame though, which is absolutely awesome and I thank you very much for doing it

11 posts were split to a new topic: Goal Setting and Note Taking

Good luck down there and hope they stick with it

Very commendable effort. Youā€™re doing a lot right. Keep at it.

1 Like

One thing that I would also suggest is get a blank note book to keep drivers notes in. When I first started, I kept a notebook along with me so that I could not only track my notes, but also keep things organized.

Tis what Vettel does.

2 Likes

Planning to actually get some laps in. Thatā€™ll do for a start.

1 Like