What did you do to your kart today?

I got the bill for the refresh of our LO206 motors… :scream_cat: gonna have to stop eating out so much! :laughing: The boyo’s gonna have to help with the cost of this one!

I plan to touch up my last year’s paint job tonight, and finish putting together my last clutch. If I get done fast enough, I might try and modify a non-brake side cassette for my Arrow X2 so that it can accommodate a brake (drill and tap two holes).

Touch ups done.

2 Likes

Uhhhh…. What happened to your seat posts? :upside_down_face:

They kept cracking, so I chopped them off a few years ago. Just use bolt on posts now, worked pretty good last season.

1 Like

That is a great paint color. How do you plan to spray it? Rattle can or paint gun with hardner?

For my project today, I plan to check and tighten evey bolt on my kart. I had something embarassing happen to me the list time I was on track, as I was putting along in P1 when all of a sudden my kart started binding up and I lost speed. As it turned out, all but one of my axle bolts fell out and my axle shifted.

Upon further inspection, I was also missing a few other bolts in other places. So now I’m tightening and replacing bolts so that doesn’t happen again. I’ve been concentrating so much on the kids kart, I’m neglecting to take care of mine. Loctite is my friend, lol.

loctite

1 Like

The axle grub screws is such a common thing, it’s the first thing I check before heading to the grid every session. Now you know!

I almost never check mine, unless I’m changing an axle. I’ve had very good luck with them, have a consistent tightening method that works for me. No loctite ever on my grub screws personally. Anything that goes into aluminum or magnesium that is tightened and loosened often (hubs, engine mounts) I am religious using anti seize.

I plan to just sand it down enough so I don’t have to apply primer. Then spray with paint gun and the premixed color I have bought, 2 thin coats. Then 1 clear coat over it :grin: 2k clear

@Rdub3 @tjkoyen I think you are saying the opposite of each other. I’m confused…

I’m team “red loctite axle grub screws every single time” :joy:

Same goes for rear sprockets on shifter karts. I’ve ruined way too many axles, even with bolts being confirmed tight, to ever go without the safety net of thread locker.

1 Like

We are saying the opposite haha, but your experience may vary. Try Ricky’s method of no-Loctite, and if you start losing grub screws, try using Loctite. There’s no right answer, I’m sure some people never have issues with it.

In my experience it’s one of the most common things to come loose on not only my kart but a lot of other karts I’ve seen. If you search on this forum you’ll find a number of people asking questions about some issue that ends up being loose grub screws causing the axle to slide, so it’s not like it’s uncommon.

Issue I’ve seen with loctite is if you don’t properly clean the old loctite out of the threads it can give a few torque when tightening down. If you are good about cleaning those threads out it can be useful, if not I swear I’ve seen more axles slip with grub screws loctited. Usually scraping the hell out of the axle in the process because the grub screw just wasn’t tightened down enough. @Muskabeatz I’ll actually anti-seize my shifter gear bolts :rofl:. Different strokes for different folks…

1 Like

Probably not a bad route to go. I just prefer it to be nearly impossible for those bolts to come loose lol

I’m brand new to karting - the kart is almost ready to go - so, always trying to learn.

Our modus operandi has been to clean, use loctite, torque things down and then mark with a pen. We’ve not had good luck in finding torque values. So, have been using rules for the bolt size involved.

What threw me off is when anti-seize was mentioned. I remember a long time back being told to use anti-seize for cars on things like lug nuts and spark plugs but now that is not recommended.

@Rdub3 is your thinking and experience that if one uses the correct torque, that should be sufficient to keep the bolt and nut together?

For lug nuts, we’ve purchased the ones that are crimped with the intention of replacing them after a certain number of uses.

Yes that is the thought process I operate on. Also on the aluminum and mag stuff you can mess up threads pretty easy with bone dry bolts. Also I’m sure everyone has had a bolt get nice and seized up in aluminum that takes way more torque than it should to loosen. Anti-seize helps all this on hub bolts and engine mounts which get manipulated all the time. On the grub screws I don’t use anti-seize, but mine never see loctite. Usually they come from the factory with a light layer of oil on them and this actually helps get a good torque value for awhile. I also look for certain amount of deflection on the inside of the axle after tightening. Disclaimer, this is on 40 and 50mm axles. European 30mm axles are a whole different story as they don’t deflect when you tighten the set screws.

Reinstalled 3rd bearing support and safety wired.

Found that someone had used two 5/16-18 and two 8mmx1.25 bolts on the motor mount. Luckily the wrong ones were short bolts. Cleaned up the damaged threads, hopefully enough meat left to hold engine on :slight_smile:

Got a big old bottle of anti seize that I use on any aluminum (like the two projects here).

3 Likes

im more of a blue locktite guy : )

Not a kart but I bought myself an Alfano 6, for my current rental championships. I love been able to have data while driving :grin:

3 Likes

My note on the grub screws. I started running electrical tape around them. Won’t keep from backing out. But will keep from tossing them. But no loctite here.

Yesterday was testing day for kiddo on new chassis/motor package.

4 Likes