What did you do to your kart today?

Chased a gremlin down on this Compkart I recently picked up. Couldn’t get it to run worth a hill of beans. Threw my backup motor on it and experienced the same problem…running pig rich and dying. The VP on the bench that came on the kart has less than 3 hours on it. I had a brand new backup carb sitting next to the grinder just in case.

After swapping carbs I fired it up and hadn’t put the drain/vent line back into the catch bottle and it was running perfect….until I put it in and it immediately started running really rich again. That’s when I realized the single hole the previous owner drilled in the cap was creating back pressure in the bowl and flooding the motor. Drilled a bunch more and viola…problem solved. May go to dual catch bottles like my Praga even though this is now working.

1 Like

Pulled it out of storage and wow, it needs a little TLC :laughing:
Injured my back/ribs a week or so ago so I’m a little lazier than usual with tidying and placement of things.

3 Likes

Powered by shame bro, I’d love to ask questions, but my ego is like “you can figure it out.”

1 Like

That kart looks like it needs more than TLC!

2 Likes

Congrats on the car in the garge lol never have space for cars in mine

2 Likes

Clayton, what are these for? They remind me of the foam things we’d have on our bmx bikes to protect our willies.

Haha, that’s funny I have a four car garage and only one requirement from my wife is that she can park her car in there, the rest is mine:)

1 Like

Strip down and back together after another rainy club race

2 Likes

So… prepping my '90 Sprint

the ermmm… parallel tubes there widen by about 1mm thus the mount doesn’t want to sit right at the front. :rofl:

2 Likes

Well that’s a conundrum! Watcha gonna do?

grind the mount till it kinda fits and send it

3 Likes

I found these pics very helpful for what I’m trying to install, thank you.

1 Like

These bad boys? Just frame protectors you put on the bottom of the frame to keep it from contacting the ground. Keeps your frame from getting chewed up. These particular ones were made from aramid fiber (aka Kevlar).

Have they held up well? Any pics of after a few “excursions”?

They did not. Our local track is super abrasive and you have to smack some esses to be fast. Maybe lasted 50-70 laps.

2 Likes

Installed new axle and bearings on the Top Kart.

6 Likes

well john!! thats sweeeeet !!

I’ve never seen foam protectors like that except on my bmx bike as a kid. I did not realize they were Kevlar.

1 Like

Ok so you get the official shiniest axle/rotor/cassettes award

1 Like

As some of you might know im a driver and a parttime mechanic for myself… that includes me cleaning my kart after every testing and doing everything i can when im not on track. So i took apart my whole chassis after a big crash last weekend and turned out i had a bent steering columt, tie rods, and pedals. I sorted that changed to a soft axel from a MR to S and i got a new setup: 5mm camber (2.5mm/side) 2°caster
And a ackerman on the lowest position! Testing in senior today

5 Likes