Who Makes What (2021)

Since kart manufacturers like creating alternate brands to get a different color scheme and some minor geometry changes out in the market, there’s some confusion as to where to get parts. During my kart search this winter, I did a bunch of website searches, looked up stated locations on Google Maps to find if the “manufacturer”'s address was a factory or just an office, and checked the FIA Karting homologation documents.

SodiKart (France) - Sodi, Alpha

OTK Kart Group - TonyKart, EOS, Kosmic Kart, Redspeed, Exprit. Recently left: FA Kart

Tinini Group - CRG, GP, DR Kart, LH Kart, Evokart. Recently discontinued: Zanardi

BirelART - Birel, Ricciardo, Charles Leclerc, Kubica, CompKart

IPK - Praga, Formula K, OK1, RS Kart, ItalKart. Note: IPK is the only manufacturer that lists their chassis’ weight on their site! Everyone else just says they’re the lightest.

Parolin - Parolin, Merlin, Vemme, Energy

Breda - Kart Republic, Alonso, Will Power

Emme Racing SAS - Mad Croc, Race Factory, Drago, Magik Kart , AK USA

Righetti Ridolfi - Mac Minarelli, AllKart, Extreme, Gold

TBKart - TBKart, GFC, Trackmagic

Drew Price Engineering (Australia)- Arrow, Sera, Monaco. Recently discontinued: Deadly

Independents include Margay (in St. Louis, Missouri, USA), TopKart (owned by Comer), Haase, Mach 1, Swiss Hutless, Wright, Gillard, and Tecno.

Intrepid karts just magically appear from somewhere. I would not be surprised if Rodney Berryhill is making them in an Italian-sounding town in Oklahoma.

2 Likes

First great topic, IPK bought out SKM in about 2010/2011 and Intrepid was made by IPK as recently as 2015ish. IPK also manufactures Ital Kart. There are many things on the Intrepid that are made by IPK (ex Brakes) but im pretty sure the manufacture starts with an M and I think its the same people making the Gary Carlton/TrackMagic Chassis which also use lots of IPK parts.

Nitro is made in conjunction with MGM chassis and I think MGM and Paul rice make the chassis in house. They use Martin for brakes etc…

We had a thread on this a few years ago. It might be a good idea to merge the the two threads and I or @KartingIsLife can go back and update it.

Technically a different topic, as its who actually manufacturers what chassis etc…

Nitro used to be made by Parolin, didn’t realise they’d moved away. At one point all the successful cadets were made by parolin (Nitro, Benik).

Intrepid was made by SKM up to 2010/2011. As you say Intrepid bought SKM (whose majority business was components). Then Mirko Squerzoni took on the Intrepid name and kept making the karts.

There’s a lot more independents, if you want to call them that:
Margay, Haase (used to be made by OTK), Tecno (which has changed ownership a few times), Wright, Gillard (which unfortunately is closing down), Invader etc etc

You missed one bigger factory.:

EMME Racing SAS - Drago, Mad Croc, Race Factory, Magik Kart, AK USA

I remember a few years ago, 5 of them accounted for 90% of chassis sales or something like that, OTK, BIrelArt, CRG (TInini Group), Parolin and IPK. Everyone else is small fry globally.

1 Like

I put them in order of my rough estimate of size based on looking at the manufacturing equipment they show and the manufacturing processes chosen on the karts. If you have other information to challenge that order, I’m all ears. Thank you for the Emme information.

Sodi looks like they could build 20k+ karts per year - and they probably do, but 90% of those are rentals.

OTK chassis feature way too many castings and forgings to be worth making that way at under 8k-10k per year and the factory scale reflects it. A good example of this is the bearing carrier - blank cast, then forged, one milling operation to drill and tap all of the holes, one milling operation to get the clamp bolt hole in, one turning operation to get the radius for the bearing. All of the smaller manufacturers will machine these parts from solid in several operations, and will mill that bearing radius - OTK puts three holes at 120 degrees separation to allow a fixture to hold it.

Righetti Ridolfi are hard to rank - it doesn’t look like they make very many chassis but they’re a big supplier and you could joke that after four or five seasons most chassis have turned into them because their parts are the discount option at your local kart shop!

1 Like