2021 X30 upgrade

The X30 was launched in Europe a few years earlier than in the USA. It came with a Tryton Carburetor initially. When SKUSA adopted it in the US, it was going to be frozen for seven years. Knowing this, an exchange program was instituted for the X30s that had started racing in a few series in the US, to the Tillotson carb. Europe then switched to the new ignition, Tillotson, and then to the one piece pipe, while the US remained frozen.

…due to the supply chain disruptions caused by Covid, and the foreseeable future lack of parts, the new engines come now in line with the global production, with several improvements in term of reliability, ease of use and performance parity.
The one-piece exhaust is the only part that will affect performance, and is therefore mandated by organizations around the world. By doing away with the flex, and by having a fully machined header manifold, it will greatly improve performance parity and ease of use , rather than lap time improvement per se.

3 Likes

The new bearing has a sleeve that fits over the bearing journal on the crank. The sleeve then is the piece that makes contact with the rollers. The sleeve is a mild press-fit over the journal, so if your crank is old and worn to the point the sleeve will just slip on without a press-fit, then the crank won’t work with the new bearing. The good news is a crank with a properly fitted sleeve will never really wear out as the sleeve is the wear point.

2 Likes

Thank you Felix, it’s good to have you contributing to this forum.

2 Likes

@Christian_Fox you forgot the most important thing about the exhaust. It looks awesome specially when it turns blue with heat :joy:

Indeed it does! Looks better, sounds better, performs better…all good stuff.

1 Like

I updated the previous post with the actual file related to the new x30 main bearings replacement procedure from Iame usa east website

1 Like

Someone gonna have to post a pic of the sexy new exhaust all blued out.

Oh, hi there. Only a partial pic, but you get the idea.

Cool thanks. So the slide on the exhaust is gone. Differrent exhaust for the juniors?

Same exhaust for juniors, only the manifold change
The « slide » it’s still there, it’a just a 3-4mm spacer that nobody use

Juniors use the same pipe, just a restricted header.

What kind of gains / loss did you guys notice from the switch a couple of years ago from Tryton to Tillotson? I have the Tryton now, but thinking about switching to the Tillotson.

From what I have read, the Tillotson lacks low end power, but has more top end. Did you guys notice this also? And is with worth wile upgrading?

did you ever get an answer to the tillotson vs tryton carb ?

Nopes. Im just going to do the upgrade for next year

Are they the same Venturi size? I seem to recollect that they are different.

If that’s the case, the larger one generally will provide less low end, more mid and more top.

The tillotson is 1mm larger than the tryton.

1 Like