Adoption of OK-N In the US

Do you think I’d be able to show up there with a TM OK-N and race it?

Not for a season or two from the looks of it.

I’m down! I’ll give it a try if it draws a decent entry list. Going to be tough tho since there were almost zero entries for ROK JR/Sr/Master last year.

For the record, it is not “FIA Acredited”, in the sense that it is a private series / promoter / entity that is building its class outside the governance of the recognized FIA ASN within the US(ACCUS), which is in it of itself perfectly fine.

Our jurisdiction does not extend to national level events (only international), even more so when they are ran by privateers. It is ACCUS responsibility to enforce our regulations, as they are written and meant.

We cannot stop a private entity from running a field which specifies “For the KZ class, only use TM engines with valid CIK FIA Homologation”, as a comparative example.

3 Likes

I personally fully agree with this, in principle.

23 posts were merged into an existing topic: New CIK/FIA class, OK-N

3 Likes

Now I’m getting hyped.

Of course I probably won’t go to any Stars or Challenge races to actually see this, but still exciting.

Seriously considering selling my Rotax and making my way down to the US for a couple races next year. The young guns will properly kick my ass but yeah all of these announcements are exciting.

I have a strong desire to try it. Maybe if I can rent one for the challenge race at pats. Wouldn’t buy as not enough races for the cost. Pats would be a riot with one

Anyone know what a motor package might cost? Around that $3500-$4000 as with most 125cc TAGs?

I would hope. I mean a little more performance output. However eliminating clutch harness battery and starter has to save some costs

That was my thought. Hopefully there isn’t a FIA tax on these engines and they end up around the $5k+ mark. Would be cool to see an introductory incentive pricing to get a good starting group going.

Also, if it’s truly OK-N I hope series/promoters don’t gatekeep the use of a specific brand. If I buy a Vortex to run COTA I hope I can bring it to STARS or SKUSA.

I would assume as they are basically an OKJ from a mechanical perspective, they’ll be very similar to that. The price range which is around 2650 euros on Mondo Kart for the IAME OKJ. That doesn’t include carb in the price. So you’ll need to add a couple hundred to that price.

1 Like

Stars has already said they are going to be open to all four homologated manufacturers. Pricing should be similar to OKJ like @Alan_Dove said. Wouldn’t be surprised if the OK-N is quite literally an OKJ with a different coil for the extra 1000rpm. They’ve already said the point was to use parts that were already in existence.

Wait… 35HP with a non powervalve 125? Possible, yes of course… But maybe not ideal for single gear setup. Curious to hear more on that.

If by FIA tax you mean homologation costs, it’s not as bad as some folks might tell you.

Of course I can’t remember how much it is to homologate an engine with CIK\FIA. Maybe @Simone_Perego can give a range of homologation costs?

So after talking with a Stars rep today. They’re estimating about $2500 for an OK-N engine to the US.

I’m thinking about trying out the class next year. Maybe sell one of my KA’s to get an engine. Stars puts on a good program, the biggest difference between KA and OK-N would be a couple extra sets of tires for the event, but nothing too bad from what I can see. My engine builder is pretty onboard with it, so if I do go for it we’ll have to do some testing before the season starts.

2 Likes

I would do it but I think I am too old for push starting now. The last time I push start a kart was early 2000’s ICA. 20 years ago…time flies. Feels like yesterday.

I suspect it’s a bit easier with the decompression valve. Push starting a 100cc with 9/91 gearing was a fun event.

We have a 75 lb. kid in California with an OKJ and he can push start himself, so I thinks you’d be okay. I’ve heard good things about the decompression valve