Arrive and Drive vs. Owning a Kart

SuperNats in X30 is like a $5k weekend. Between travel, hotel, food, entry, a few sets of tires etc. Not to mention crash parts, which you should definitely budget for that.

A couple years ago we pitted next to McAndrews and they had to build 3 karts over the course of the weekend. Make sure to pack a spare frame.

2 Likes

I was actually a bit surprised when I jumped in deep end and tried to do some regional racing (Gear up F Series runs from South Carolina to Massachusetts ). I am pretty new to karting scene. Completed two races in series and had a rethink. Lap per dollar not worth it at my current skill set.

I figured reasonable budget to complete a 6 race regional series if you are at sharp end of field is at least 10k for x30 class. Soup to nuts including travel.

3 Likes

So we’ve figured it’s between $6-$10k to run a regional level series depending on competitiveness. TJ, do you have any idea how much a whole national series will run you? The theme seems to 3 races, which helps cut expenses a little bit at least, right?

From my point of view it depends on how many races you plan to do. I will probably only do 2 or 3 races in a year. I’ll probably spend less arrive and drive then buying all the kits for just 2 or 3 races.

If I was able to drive at any time, testing, local races etc then owning would be a great idea.

2 Likes

USPKS season entry is $1050 this year for the 3 events. Figure probably 6 sets of tires minimum for that (more if you’re running the Yellows), so that’s roughly $1200. Add in hotels, fuel, travel, and food… You’re probably looking at around 5k depending on what your pit/tent situation is, whether you’re going to fly to races or drive, and how much you crash.

1 Like

Hmm, I was expecting it to be more expensive actually. A full season, which is less races admittedly, is barely more than what I’d pay to ruin regionally. I mean, I’m cutting the track time in half but I just thought it would be more

1 Like

USPKS isn’t too bad value. Pro Tour, on the other hand, that would be more.

Personally, for someone like me, owning and buying space under a tent is the best fit.
I don’t have a garage or an easy place to work on my kart, so the team that I run with also has kart storage that can get my equipment to the track for me, in certain situations.

2 Likes

What makes the Pro Tour more expensive? Comparing say X30 in both series, I would’ve guessed since they’re both national level series the costs would be similar, or is there something I’m missing about SKUSA that makes it higher cost

Entry fees are higher, travel is more expensive, and there tends to be a lot more crash damage. Race entry for X30 is $930, which does include 2 sets of tires. But still a bit more expensive.

How does track time compare between USPKS and SKUSA right now?

I’ve seen the daily schedule/lap counts for next season in USPKS and you’d be hard-pressed to find a series with more laps available to the racer over the weekend.

1 Like

USPKS is more of a regional thing like Man Cup. SKUSA Pro Tour is the only “National” Series I am aware of and the stakes are higher than anything else. So people put on new tires more often, many show up with new karts, etc. Just more spending.

Agreed. It’s definitely a higher level. Of course, you don’t HAVE to buy 6 sets of Friday tires and a new chassis… I run the same spending program at a Pro Tour race that I do at a USPKS race and I don’t think it’s hurting me.

Our spending is about the same too aside from travel. It always amazes me seeing all the new chassis and chassis boxes at SKUSA events.

Im bought a used Lo206, trailer, and gear this year. But I’m planning in atleast a few years in the game. Testing the waters? Rent or go to a indoor places and give it a try.

I come a +20 year plus racing back ground, so I have good what I’m getting myself amd debt into. Take it as slow as you want. But the key is to get started some how.