Beginner advice for a dad

I’m still very green in the sport, but as a fellow rookie I can say the greatest information I have received is just by making friends at the track and taking everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Some people will give you good advice, but others just like to talk and pretend they know what’s best.

As far as the kart goes, I tried to do too much at first and learn everything at once. What I’ve realized, thus far, is that tire pressures are king. Chassis adjustments are useful, but until you learn what the pressures do and what happens with the tires, it doesn’t really matter. You can change the geometry all you want, but if the rubber isn’t meeting the road correctly you’ll go in circles with adjustments.

3.5 years old sounds like he’ll be in Nascar by the time he’s fifteen lol.

Good luck and have fun!

Here is my kid a 3 yrs old in a kart. There are some other vids too of him at 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJ0n1w8dJ4

What a fun time. Tires on a kid kart are not part of the equation yet. 24 psi all around. Friends at the track are the best, and you’ll find people will jump at the chance to help you.

1 Like

Thanks Jim. Your child is very impressive by the way. I appreciate your recommendations.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the helpful comment and suggestions.

Josh

1 Like

Joshua, check to make sure you have a track that will let him run/practice. While he may not be to too young in his and your minds to race, you might find hurdles until he as least “looks” to be 5 years old.

We started at the younger side of the sportsman age bracket (8yo) and have had to fake or be approved to advance through class restrictions for most of his career until he was allowed to race Senior at 13 after showing he could be safe and competitive. Most issues were insurance related at every level from indoor electric to pro karts.

Rental karts may be a bigger challenge due to size as well. Height are usually set around 48". Reach out to Chad Clay at Kartona in Panama City FL. He just started his kid in KK and has managed several tracks over the years and should have first hand info about regulations.

1 Like

Dave - thank you very much for your helpful comment!

1 Like