Best tire Pressure Gauge for Karting

Bringing this back up, looking for a good reliable digital gauge. I have a longacre analog gauge I paid about $60 for and it’s not great so hesitant to spend anymore money on the brand.

Funny enough at the last meeting my analog longacre also crapped the bed. I’m looking at just getting one of the Prisma series since the alfano ones are quite expensive.

What do you mean when you say it’s not great?

Tested against others and it’s inconsistent in its readings

1 Like

Yeah that’s definitely a hard pass.

My Prisma gauge is still going strong, after years of use.

Bought this to try out

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0684

It could be a case of ignorance is bliss, but seeing this concerns me.

• High precision, accurate to +/- 0.6 psi

That’s a big swing for most kart tires.

I saw that also but think it’s going to be normal unless you pay more for a truly calibrated instrument over $500

2 Likes

The basic prisma tire gauge is ~$190 (fastech-racing) and has an accuracy of 0.1% over a pressure range of 0-72psi, this equates to 0.072psi. If you want an integrated stopwatch you can get them ~$220. These also have memory and can save pressures hot/cold for multiple test sessions.

I have been on the fence about prisma. But will be adding one to the box over winter I believe. Better than having 3 gauges for 0-15, 0-30, 0-60. Try to only operate them in the middle of their range as analog gauges are most accurate at this range.

2 Likes

We have always used this…

A lot of the big teams in Europe use them.

1 Like

$300? Hard pass. I can take notes with the reliable Longacre in my toolbox. I’m sure it’s nice, though.

It’s out of my range too But there’s something to be said for this though:

Typical accuracy: < ±0.01 bar (0.145 psi)

I know you stated you wanted to move away from Longacre, but their digital gauges offer better accuracy at reasonable prices.

My brother and I have had good success with this model. 0.1psi increments with 0.5% (0.3psi) accuracy.
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1700&prodid=7354&pagetitle=Semi-Pro-Digital-Tire-Pressure-Gauge-0-60-psi

1 Like

I am very happy with my Alfano Tyre Control 2. It is digital and can store 99 different sets:

3 different types of tyre pressure connectors
1 x Pyrometer Sensor Probe
Switchable to 4 tyres Car / Kart or 2 tyres motorcycle.
Measuring range 0-7 bar
Accuracy +/- 0.01 +/- 0.15 bar or PSI.
Saves 495 sets of data (temperature + pressure)

And it includes also an app for cellphone and tablet:

Really depends at what level you’re competing at and your budget. At club day level I’m using the semi-pro longacre digital gauge and been really happy with it. For $80 or so its decent enough I think.