Centering Steering for Alignment

It’s easy with sniper or similar.

1. Set sweep first. Once sweep is set, the front is even.
  2. Stand at nose of kart and reach up to steering wheel.
  3. Since front is even hold steering centered by aiming laser on both sides even. Note where laser is.
  4. Rest hand on center fairing and hold wheel steady.
  5. Adjust one side while holding wheel steady.
  6. Confirm other side did not move (that’s how you know you didn’t move wheel).
  7. If other side drifted, reset to position noted at step 3 and confirm adjustment made.
  8. Once adjustment of one side complete, note position and adjust other side to desired toe (usually matching).
  9. Confirm that first side has not drifted while making adjustment.
  10. Tighten it all down, double check sweep.

As for tall drivers, my son is touch over 6-4, feel your pain. I just line up along the steering shaft and use the 20cm mark as reference as I check each side. It’s not perfect, but it’s close.

2 Likes

I have a Comet Eagle and the steering block has a pinch screw that i use to hold the steering straight. I just have to remember to loosen it. I also use an aluminum bar that i have bent to conform to get down to the height of the bolt for the arm on the spindle. It rests across the 2 bolts on the steering shaft and measure from the spindle bolts. Seems the most accurate way to find center.

3 Likes

Instead of buying something new to lock the steering shaft, why not just drill a hole though to steering block and shaft after you found center? Then you can just drop a pin of the same size of the hole to get center every time and keep it during your adjustments.

I think most of us already have drills and bits. You can pick up a pin from the local hardware store for a buck or two. I might suggest the smaller diameter the better not to weaken the shaft or block structurally.

4 Likes

I have one of these little clamp things on my upper steering column bush. It should work even if the steering column is in the highest position.

After removing the front wheels and getting my Snipers on, my next step is to chock up the trolley so that my rear axle is sitting dead level. The rear axle is the constant that all things really should reference.

Next you want the steering shaft centred. That means the centre line of the Pittman arm would be perpendicular to the rear axle. Like you (OP) I use a straight edge set in the Pittman arm. It is a piece of aluminium angle and I have a really strong magnet (salvaged from an old Hard Disk) that I use to hold it on to the Pittman arm. I have a little spirit level that I can drop on the straight edge. Then I set that to level.

If I’m at home in the garage I like to use a laser level. This way I can check lots of other places on the kart to see that the chassis is still straight.

Then I lock it all tight and do the alignment.

1 Like

Your left side tie rod looks bent AF in that third photo.

1 Like

Yes it is. I live with it for now. One day I will get around to buying another one. Mean while, as long as it stays the length i set it to, it will do its job :smiley:

Jump Send GIF by Sunshine Village

1 Like

This. Find your center, set it. Put your pin in, good to go. Set Snipers on and off you go. Fast and repeatable. Run them on all our karts.