Chassi bent

I have wounderd if bending a gokart chassi is normal and how do i prevent it from happening.

Yeah, it happens. A hard enough shunt can bend a kart. They have things called straightening tables that are used to bend them back. Alternatively, sometimes a bend can be fixed by less scientific means (putting something under the affected corner and using body weight to bend it back). This method reminds me of when the doc says “we are gonna have to re-brake your limb to get it to heal properly.” Yikes.

Straightening table:
https://pointkarting.com/products/go-kart-chassis-straightening

And here’s a clever(?) approach:

Don’t hit stuff and it shouldn’t bend. But it happens.

Thanks for the reply. Im pretty new to karting i have owned a kart 3 months and drove it onc beacuse bought it under the witer brake. I want to know every thing so i can prevent bad stuff happening. :smiley:

1 Like

Haha! Welcome to motorsports where bad stuff just happens and there ain’t a thing you can do about it! It’s part of racing. You will DNF on occasion, things break, or you run into people or they into you.

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile: Now im scared to brake my 55 000 dollar gokart.
Är

Get a cheaper one! You’ll feel less bad when it breaks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bit i alrdy have this one and i really like praga. After reasearch thats the best it can get. I also ask my sponsor money from omp maby they il give me some

1 Like

I was just joking. Like TJ said, treat it well and it will be fine. All my broken bits were due to me running into things or someone hitting me. It’s rare but more frequent if you are really aggressive.

1 Like

I mean. 5500 dollar not 55 beacuse that would just be wierd

1 Like

If it bends, there are people with straightening tables that can check them and straighten the chassis for much cheaper than a new chassis. I’ve one 1 kart straightened twice now.

2 Likes

Other than scaling or an otherwise visually obvious bend, is there any other way to tell if a chassis is bent?

I’m asking because the last race I was in I got punted and although I didn’t flip the kart, it did cartwheel. I don’t see any obvious damage, but I’m also not 100% sure something did not bend/ tweek. :man_shrugging:

Might pull one direction. But really the best way to tell is scaling it or setting it on a flat table and/or measuring.

If you’re trying to align the front end, they might not align properly.

1 Like

There is a decent discussion on this at:

1 Like

So my buddy and I checked for any bends and nothing jumped out. My buddy just purchased a scale, so we were both playing with it for the first time. So I have no idea if these numbers are good? (Kart only, forgot to snap a pic while I was on it)

We did Sniper the front end, which was where the impact occurred when the kart went airborne, came down on its nose, and cartwheeled. And with the Snipers and turning the wheel everything seemed to line up great.

Any insight from someone more experienced would be appreciated. That front left reading has me scratching my head as I wasn’t expecting that drastic from side-to-side. But I’ve never scaled my kart before either :man_shrugging:

You can’t really judge the kart empty.

This is my Lefty empty.

1 Like