Corner speed or rotation speed?

(Mike Clark) #41

At a driving school one student (not me!) was asking about a way to externally quantify what the best line would be for a given corner, such a computer modeling. Terry Yearwood’s reply: “Or a race driver could drive through it 3 times and know which direction to go in.” The benefit of overthinking it provides some clue that the perfect line only exist for a given condition involving a ridiculous number of variables, which change every lap.

My approach is to overthink it if & when you have the luxury to do so. Sometimes overthinking leads one to realizing what priorities to place on factors or what makes advice good or bad. As said you have to know what works for you.

(Davin Roberts Sturdivant) #42

^ This

Personally, relaxing more and thinking less is something that I’ve been working on as a driver.
Especially because as a driver, my subconscious tends to run away with me. I just remind myself that I have 10 years of seat time, and that I just need to deal with the situation as it occurs.

That seemed to be better than wasting mental energy on scenarios that won’t happen. Like @Terence_Dove would say "It’s having trying to view a totally different movie while trying to drive at the same time.
"

(Lee Swindell) #43

I like much of what you’ve written here, as much as I dislike one thing you’ve written here:

the ‘BS’ you cite is learned, experienced people sharing their IP for no reason other than they’re of generous, supportive character, and love the sport.

You’re welcome to not agree - but from my perspective you’re not welcome to shitcan people’s writings. If your point is ‘don’t overthink it’ my suggestion is to say that - and only that.

That said, you’ve bought a counterpoint to this discussion that’s very valid. And Thank you for that.

Lee

(Thomas Williams) #44

My apologies for coming across as disrespectful. Perhaps it would make more sense if I explained that I am in a way talking to myself. The person I know best, that wasted a lot of time and energy on what I term “BS”…was me, back a generation ago. I really am trying to help, by smacking you all upside the head, in a way that no one effectively did for me. Stop thinking and go race. If you do not have enough money to go race, then stop thinking, go make some more money, and go race. After you build a sufficient level of expertise…then you can turn your brain back on and start getting intellectual, because you will have built the baseline skills, and you will actually know what is worth thinking about. But have no doubt, it is wheel to wheel racing that will accelerate this process more than ANYTHING ELSE.

(Lee Swindell) #45

Thomas:

There’s clearly passion talking here, which is great. And your advice (or admonishment) about getting out there and doing it is well made - this discussion has gone pretty deep into theory, and I recognise it’s easy to get lost in that.

I don’t know how long you’ve been reading, but the participants in this conversation (none of whom I know incidentally) seem to me to possess the foundational experience you cite as the prerequisite to discussions of this type. So I feel that we’ve all ended up on the same page.

I agree entirely that there’s no substitute for on-track combat as the way to learn. But the driver who goes into battle armed with an understanding of the fundamentals of driving will I believe extract more from the exercise than he or she who goes out there and does their best without some grounding from people who’ve done more of it. That’s been me all my life, which is why I find the discussions found here so enriching. And the sheer quantity of informed Q & A is proof of how un-obvious the fundamentals of this sport are.

Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for contributing.

Lee

(Lee Swindell) #46

TJ:

I’m a couple of weeks behind in acknowledging your last post on this topic.

I’ve gotten a lot out of your contributions to this and I’ll be rereading what you’ve come up with here the night before I race from now on.

I’ll get back you every so often with what I’ve been able to use, and the effect it’s had on track.

Most grateful.

Lee

(beaque159) #47

This a terrific commentary. Thank you.