Forgot how to drive: has this happened to you?

This one is in Al Ain, it’s a great track, people there are awesome. It’s just my demon track, I’m always slow poke there lol.

Rotaxes with rental bumpers? Lemme at em’!

1 Like

The kart always felt fine to me (seating position wise), but one of the first things I do when I get a kart is scale it. I would never drive (or especially race) a 4 cycle kart without knowing scale numbers and adjusting them to balance (my old school 4 cycle ways showing through).

2 Likes

Yeah, Rotax 100 with direct drive, like a single gear DD2.

Direct drive whaaaaaaaaaaat? Or do you mean single gear?

Yes single gear, but direct drive as in no chain. Same kind of gearbox as a DD2, but it’s set by the track without a gear change facility.

For example Al Ain it’s set to run in what would be second gear with the smallest gear, in Al Forsan it’s slightly twistier so they’re set to run in first gear but with the biggest gear.

Single speed, TaG but they’re really responsive if you keep the rpm up

I forget how to drive every week. :joy: Seriously.

This happens to me every winter, and I usually don’t really get it back for a few races (or a whole season sometimes). Hopping into a new class with lower hp and super hard tires isn’t helping your case though, it’s completely unfamiliar to you so you’re not only having to get back into the rhythm of driving but also adjust your style to work with that engine/chassis/tire compound.

1 Like

Ignite Spec is more of a slow in fast out approach.

Awesome night of racing, got roped into doing the RD1 Rotax races and hopping straight into the Honda 390 heavy races :rofl:

Did a couple of practice runs in the RD1, haven’t driven them in about 2 years and yeah I felt like I’d forgotten how to drive them. First practice was horrid. Second practice way better. Quali 1s off the pole pace, race only 0.4 off the lead pace, happy with that considering the front 3 are guys that drive those things practically every weekend.

Some great battles, some bump drafting which was working great catching the pack in front until the guy started slowing me too much through corners so I just passed him. He tried to come back at me but ended up in the shadow realm :grin:

Thinking seriously about a cam box…wish I could try one first I’m dubious about it being in front of my eyes lol

Oh buddy you’re making me laugh :joy:
What you’ve described feels so familiar, better to laugh than cry :sob:
It’s all about “feel”, something that you (and most people) lose after taking a break.
I’m normally one of the fastest, but every time I take a break it’s like “here we go… time to get reacquainted with the feel of it, braking, turning, throttle control, and the speed of course”
It takes a while but it comes way quicker than if you were starting for the first time, you just got to hit the track and put as many laps as you can, you’ll gradually relax and all the sensations become familiar, don’t let the ego get in the way.

You are perhaps right. I’m headed to test and tune weds. I have an endurance race on same track next weekend in rental karts. I did fine last year in same race. I am curious to see if it’s a case of rusty or a case of new kart.

Oh, for sure rusty, it’s normal.
But if you have an endurance race you may want to get in shape first, those can be very tiring.
2019 I did a 30 hour endurance race, with 3 other drivers, nonstop, I’m still recovering :joy:

Best of luck :+1:

Haha this is a 6hr. It’s rough but not remotely the same as the 12-24hr races. I was fine last year. My son, however, got full body charlie horses. We also had a hot spell for the race and one of our teammates got heatstroke. It’s not a huge amount of driving, though.

2 Likes