How long does a chassis last? And how to know when to replace it?

IMG_4169IMG_4165IMG_4170
Considering the topic thought I’d post these up. I’m about to put the kart away for the winter and decided to look under the kart. Is this too flat/“used up”? It’s a 2012 Tonykart EVRR. It’s always handled great and still responds to setup changes, but I’m moving to TaG next year (just club racing) and now I’m wondering if I need a new frame…

If it’s still tunable, I’d say run it, or at least try the TaG motor on it and shee how it fairs.
The grinding on the front bar is pretty bad, but personally I worry more about the waist…

Nicholas, I hate to say it, but the wear on the front of the chassis is getting pretty marginal. However, as James says, if it is still tunable you can race it. The front ‘hoop’ area of the frame takes a huge beating on track, although that front perpendicular area of the tubing isn’t stressed quite as much as the waist areas.

The wear on the waists is not actually that bad (the wearing areas on the frame next to the fuel tank). Once you start to see the tubing begin to flat-spot in this area, it’s a good sign that you’re getting close to needing a new frame. Compare the still rounded profile of these wear areas to the severe flat spot on the front of the frame, and you can easily tell the difference.

The Tonykart line is always tunable, always fast. But, once the tubing wears through or somewhat close to through, it won’t matter how nice all the fixtures are, as the frame will fail, and fail fast.

I wouldn’t be scared to drive this kart/frame at this point, but it is marginal in the front.

Thanks guys. If I can’t find a new roller over the winter I’ll think I’ll just slap on some frame savers and let her rip.

1 Like

Hi TJ,
I have recently got a new otk frame, going to transfer the older components from the 2016 model kart over to the new frame. Do you think I would need to consider any other new components?
Seat, axle etc?

Doesn’t have an answer to your question but can you tell me where you purchased the bare OTK frame? Mine is still fairly fresh but I’ve reached out to 2 OTK dealers that have told me it’s next to impossible to source a bare frame. Not sure if they are just trying to sell me a whole new kart or if it’s actually difficult to source a bare frame.

Frame guards, people.

1 Like

Agree. Frame guard save tons of wear.

1 Like

Yah but check em. They only seem to last 4-5 meetings.

Daniel,

I would think you’re probably fine, but I would check the tie-rod ends and joints, those can get a little sloppy over time. Also would check the axle bearings. Most things should be good still assuming they were cleaned and lubed regularly and taken care off.

1 Like

Somehweat related…As soon as I get my kart out of storage at the track I’m going to make a video on inspecting a used kart. It’s a topic that keeps coming up. Hopefully next month or so.

4 Likes

Thanks TJ!! I read this forum often and find you posts very informative!!

1 Like

Hi Andy,

I bought mine from the dealer here in Australia.

Hi Spencer,

Yes i have been using the frame guards, however after 3 years thought I could do with a new frame and they were on special at the local dealer here in Aus

Haven’t seen that rate of wear, but I suppose everyone has different experiences.

Go for it. What’s not to love about a new chassis?

[quote=“WheelSpin, post:36, topic:1224”]
aven’t seen that rate of wear, but I suppose everyone has different experiences
[/quote

A bit of an exaggeration but they do wear faster than you’d think, point is, don’t forget about them because they wear.

totally depends upon how often u ride…if you ride frequently then 6 month would be a good option to go for a change.

7,000 miles of national racing now on ours. Over 2 years old. 4 National Championships, and still seems to get faster every time we unload. I’ve had chassis brand new out of the box that are terrible, and others, like this one, that seem to get better with age. Had a 206 chassis one time that was bent and it still holds the LO206 record at GoPro. I’d say keep using it until it falls off. And if it is new and just doesn’t seem right, then sell it and get another.

3 Likes

That’s so cool. I imagine most folks have the decision thrust opun them every 3-5 years just due to wear and tear. Welds fail etc.