How many people will not be able to make 345lbs in KA Senior?

I only play the scales for the final. My class min weight was 365. I came across at 367. I typically aim for 2-3 lbs over

1 Like

The one thing I’m really trying to learn is fuel burn rates. My recent switch from 4 stroke to 2 stroke has been a steep learning curve.

Hehe when I got really skinny I ran out of lead and had to fill tank to brim. Also, lead is expensive for something so cheap.

Man, I’ve seen that .1 be the difference between 1st and 15+ before…

Heck just at our club race this weekend it was .6 from 1st to 12th. And first was a new track record

Maybe not grams but certainly single pounds. I want my kart with a mostly empty tank at min weight as we weigh at the end of each race. So I am usually less than 5lbs over on the scales.

1 Like

Is it possible that SKUSA is pushing the lower weight in Senior to try to make a bigger speed difference between Jr and Sr KA classes? When I had run with both Jr/Sr together in the past Jr was actually faster through tighter sections of the course due to lighter weight and initial acceleration out of corners, but Senior would have advantage on longer straights. Maybe they want Senior to be a bigger difference without having to open the restrictor discussion again on Jr KA?

Either way not going to apply to me, I couldn’t make 345lb without cutting off a leg. Moving to old fat guy masters and won’t run anywhere with SKUSA rules.

1 Like

That’s actually a really good idea. I was worried about that aspect myself. Don’t want to overload the fuel but also don’t want to get DSQ for not making weight. Guess I’m making a trip to the dollar store for some scales. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Watching TSRS this weekend the weight change wouldn’t have mattered to me as an old fat guy because they have a Masters KA that I could have run. Unfortunately not all groups have adopted a KA masters yet…new castle being the stand out holding onto their Yamaha class for dear life!

TSRS had a pretty decent turnout in KA Masters this past weekend. I think we had 18-19 karts, which is definitely the largest Masters turnout we have had. Hopefully all the LA locals that showed up will continue to hit the races in TX. I know we had a couple last year.

Anecdotally, both of the KA Senior drivers under our tent had spent a fair bit of effort on weight reduction. Beyond just a lightweight battery, etc. One was able to get down to min weight, the other was still ~10lbs over.

1 Like

I know people who swapped out all their nuts and bolts to titanium hardware to make weight. Running a cadet fuel tank, no graphics, no starter on a KA, and even changing out bodywork to the lightest they could find. You can definitely drop a good bit of weight from the kart if you’re really determined to.

I thought most places had come out and said you had to maintain the starter

In a 43 kart field at a regional race, if you’re not up front, they really aren’t checking that. The regional doesn’t have the staff to check everything on everyone. It took us long enough to just get through the scales without having to check everything else.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone running a gutted starter, basically just the shell to save weight.

Could just have the grid steward note which karts use an external starter to fire their engine and do a spot check after scale line. No need to check everyone.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say you have to use a starter on the KA, not around where I’ve been at least.

I think some places require you to have the starting system intact though. Not necessarily that you have to use it, you can still start with an external.

Not disagreeing, but that was also the reason they gave for not using push-back bumpers at the regional level. But I saw 3 to 4 people at the scale line all weekend.

Time to start sawzall’ing and grinding third bearing hangers, torsion bar spuds, water pump tabs… Plastic floor pan bolts… Swiss cheese some things…

1 Like

Got 7.5 lbs out of a 4S doing that one time. There is a lot of extra metal on some chassis.