How Should I Adapt My Driving Style for Rotax Max?

My motor kept sliding on the frame rails, so I really got no practice all weekend. Sorted it just before qualifying, so I was still learning the track by then, but I’ll take a P6 in the final all things considered. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Did you use a rental engine or your personal engine?

We checked out the frame and everything was straight. It was a head on impact so the bumper bars took most of the impact.

It was our personal engine. It’s never been great but for reasons unknown to everyone, (the guys from j3 came over to help), this weekend it was almost unusable.

Could be something PV related…maybe it was not opening 100%.

This drawing is something I would try. Your peak torque may not be at the same RPM as I have illustrated, That’s something you’ll have to work on, but the concept is pretty clear, I think. Maximum torque to the rear axle means, maximum HP at the rear axle.

Am I missing something or are you literally not reading the content being posted? What does shifting have to do with anything?

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. The power valve was removed and inspected by the j3 guys who were present at the race. It didn’t seem to solve the issue but I’ll pass it on to the team. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Have you checked the exhaust packing? That is if they still use packing. I usually replaced
2x or 3x per year.

1 Like

What about switching carbs with someone else? Was your battery ok? I’d try switching both of those out with known good stuff and try again. If that doesn’t work then its possible it could be the engine itself down on compression

1 Like

Could just be a bad engine.
I’ve had 6 senior engines and 3 of them just didn’t have the go in them no matter what we tried

1 Like

They still use exhaust packing. We replaced the packing on the first practice day.

We switched carbs a couple times with a carburetor that was known to be pretty fast, and a brand new battery was thrown on the kart as well. Neither of them seemed to help at all. I initially thought it could be the battery. The guys at j3 are going to look at it to see what’s up.

You might be right on that. Ever since I’ve started using this engine it has always been a mile an hour or two off on top end.

As far as compression goes, the more that I think about it, the more this engine being a bit down on compression makes sense. It’s never been fast. But I don’t think it’s the cause of the atrocities of the weekend. I’ll pass it on though. And btw, thank you all so much for the help. I really appreciate it. And nice job this weekend Justin!

If you’re going to keep racing rotax and you have doubts about the performance capabilities of the engine, get one of the new digital cylinders…2019+ year for seniors.

Throwing one of these on will bring any engine up to par performance wise.

1 Like

Emery Clothing on the frame rails? Seems to work pretty well for me though you still might get some movement.

Engine stop?