How to improve BSR electric race karts?

I was reflecting on this in my rental racing…

It’s pretty clear (to me) that given the general maintenance schedule of most facilities (lack thereof) that the E-rentals outlast the gas karts better. It seems like all the clapped out ones I’ve driven are gas. The electrics never seem to have that issue, seem to generally all work approximately as well as the other.

From a rental racing perspective, the parity of the electric karts seems MUCH easier to maintain with electrics.

To be fair to the gas karts, the electrics are always “newer” and the gas karts can be 20+ years old in some places.

That being said, NJMP new fleet of Sodis got beaten up very fast.

2 Likes

Normally, if there are no special stressing factors, then the standard 25 kW model battery pack should last around 2-3 years, depending on usage. All BSR battery packs come with a 1-year unlimited running hour warranty.

If the battery is frequently overheated or discharged close to zero level, then of course it can degrade more quickly.

If the battery is damaged or there is some imbalance issue, BSR provides repair even after the warranty for compensation. But if the battery is irreparable, the customer can return the old battery and get a 20% discount on the new one, allowing them to acquire a newer generation battery at a lower cost.

BSR battery packs are designed so that those which are damaged and not usable for racing karts are repurposed in energy storage systems to store solar and wind energy for up to 10 years. Afterward, they are sent for recycling, where they are ground into materials and used to create new batteries, which become cheaper after each cycle.

BSR’s electric motors, the oldest ones, have been in use for more than 8 years with 0 repairs. Hence, the motor’s lifespan is 5+ years without any maintenance. The only occasional issue that arises is the malfunctioning encoder chip, which is an inexpensive component that can be easily replaced. Quality issues in the last 2-3 years are related to the problematic availability of chips due to COVID times, but this is a minor matter that can be easily managed if it ever occurs.

Here is an option to read more about batteries, motors etc: https://blueshockrace.com/about-electric-karts-and-battery-technology/

1 Like

Maybe you have some videos or photos from your tests in Kansas City near race tracks?

2 Likes

Warranty on a kart part, impressive!

Can you please translate what 2-3 years means in terms of hours if someone was being reasonably careful with charging/discharging?

1 Like

So, I think the coolest aspect of this power train vs gas is that you could change output power easily. This would allow for one of the coolest concepts I have ever heard in karting and that is mixed weight classes all racing togeather. How would that work? Easy, simply have a test kart atart at for example 360lbs all the way to 460lbs use test data to accelerate the kart to a maximum speed (lets say 80mph) and do that for every 10lbs spread between weights and make acceleration the same. So racers can race a 360lbs kart vs there bigger buddy at 460lbs and still accelerate the same so you just show up and your kart is set to the power level just above your total weight.

2 Likes

What about cornering and braking?

1 Like

This. I went to visit the new Supercharged in Edison which touts itself as the “largest” indoor karting track in the USA and also, the “newest”.

They put the karts on speed three for safety. It was extremely disappointing to feel “nothing there” on corner exit. They limit the power such that you never feel like you are able to build any momentum. Just as you straighten kart out, the power stops.

It’s a bit like having over enthusiastic tcs/abs on a car.

So your enjoyment of the turn is limited and ends as you get back to power in the way out.

It’s a profoundly odd feeling being denied top end.

2 Likes

BOP isn’t that easy. But yes, you could dial it down to run with slower classes in general. Not equal to equal, but if the goal is to have fun (all I care about) it works.

1 Like

Give the big guys front brakes again?

2 Likes

I need to change my camera setup for a better view. Ive not addressed this since the kart club banned body-worn cameras. Here are the first 2 laps of our pre-final at Lake Garnett, KS on July 30th. It was mid 90 degrees F. Im running against 125-175 shifters, and yes they are faster/lighter.

4 Likes

I think the 0-60mph time is mentioned at ~3.3 seconds. Rental electrics dont get me even the slightest bit excited anymore as Im always expecting the pull in my chest😁

1 Like

As long as it is a BSR powertrain, we can check software level and output more easily than pulling a cylinder head and checking fuel for ethanol content. This should be an option for anything using the same controller as well. But like you mentioned, if we are here to have fun (thats me too), these BSR powertrains are stupid fun and easier to maintain.

1 Like

Yes, in practice, battery degradation is significantly accelerated by using them at high temperatures. If cycles are exceeded, it also accelerates the reduction of battery lifespan. Therefore, technically, a battery without significant capacity loss (+/-10%) for a 25kW standard model is around 250-300 hours. After this period, battery degradation might become even faster, especially if it’s used intensively and, as mentioned, if it’s subjected to excessive cycles of overheating. Currently, it’s very difficult to determine precise hours and parameters, as there are pilots who treat battery management very aggressively, leading to wear within a year. Not because they are better pilots or extracting maximum performance, but because they ignore the technical parameters recommended by the manufacturer. On the other hand, there are pilots who have used the battery for 3 years, extensively, and only after 300+ hours do signs of wear start to appear. This happens when a pilot takes care of battery management.

Yes, that’s one thing that can be achieved with the help of software – simulating different weight categories and adjusting power accordingly. However, this requires a lot of testing and evidence before athletes accept it. But what has already been proven is that in the powerful classes, a difference of 10-15 kilograms in weight doesn’t significantly affect lap times on the track. Heavier individuals might have slightly higher energy consumption, but the power unit can compensate for the weight difference through power and torque.

This is definitely an area that will develop in the future and there’s a lot of room for experimentation. It would even be interesting to involve technical universities in this process, as they could study and analyze it from all aspects to optimize the algorithm.

Based on the information we currently have, athletes on KZ2 chassis say that everything is working perfectly. I’m not an athlete myself, so I can’t comment on that. Best to ask those who spend time on the track with BSR Karts :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s one thing we are specifically trying to adjust on the track through power curve processes. It’s important that there isn’t a sudden RPM drop at the end, which gives a feeling that everything has stopped. Also, it should provide a comfortable pull from the corner, but at the same time, it shouldn’t be too aggressive and waste unnecessary energy, while avoiding safety risks, as 95% of indoor track visitors have very low driving skills.

I think maybe just need to change gear ration for this track and you can easy fight with them :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an apsect of electric karts that I don’t think many have considered. I have been down the rabbit hole messing messing with some EV stuff and I had this idea for electric karting. The latest gen of BLDC controllers are very adjustable and have lots of data at your disposal. So imagine that race control has a central computer and each kart’s controller has a network card that creates a mesh network around the track. Each controller sends back it’s wattage output to the race control computer which then calculates the average of the whole field. The RC computer sends this data back to the kart’s controller to adjust the wattage output of each kart based on the average.

This could happen many times per second. So no matter what someone does to the motor (there are many tricks) or even regardless of the state of of an individuals battery, everyone will have the exact same power at the motor shaft for the entire race.

Changing classes could be as easy as signing up for a given max wattage (HP) and the controller does the rest. If you are over weight, or underweight, you get +/- X wattage from the class average for BOP.

Race control would also be able to kill the entire field for red flags and slow the pack for yellows, either full course or just segments. Insurance companies would eat that up…

Anyways, kind of a fun thought excercise.

3 Likes

Ill be back in 1 week and changing from 14/26 to 13/30. Im expecting much different for this night race😁

1 Like

This is what is currently happening in the leisure kart business, where it is easier to generate revenue through gamification elements combined with power and safety options. This concept can also be applied to racing. This represents the future, and BSR is actively working on it. A significant leap is expected in 2024.