Identifying the Age of a Kart with a Homologation Plate

Here’s its homologation sheet.:

http://www.fa-kart.com/download/VICTORY-012-CH-47.pdf

It’s also listed in this list of 2018-2020 chassis.
http://www.cikfia.com/fileadmin/content/REGULATIONS/Homologations/Homologated%20Equipment/2018/Homol-materiel-2018-2020_Web.pdf

It seems like the format of the homologation fields has changed again?

It used to be

Homolgation Number-Product Type-Homologation Period

1 Like

Would be nice to get this sorted.
Further up the thread we have 014-CH-01, interpreted as Haase chassis expiry date 2001.
The next chassis on the list above is 014-CH-88. Is that long life 2088 or old kart 1988?
The list is headed 2018-2020 giving a 3 year period from jan.18-dec.20.
FWIW. I understood that the first figure was the homologation number and the last was the year of homologation, and the item was legal for 3x3 year periods from the homologation date subject to extension??
Why is there no date on the homologation document next to the signatures or elsewhere?
Daniel’s kart seems to have a stuck on number over the original mandatory ?spot welded and embossed plate.???

That’s how all the OTK karts homologation plates are.

1 Like

0kay that bit’s sorted. Not as the document but there you are. Cheers TJ!

2 Likes

Thanks James!! OTK actually replied to my email saying it is a July 2018 build.

2 Likes

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but what happens once a frame is past its expiry date? Say I buy a brand new CRG kart tomorrow with a homologation 70/CH/20 that expires in 2020 (it seems that most of the current frames expire in 2020), will my frame be expired and illegal to race by the end of next year? If that’s the case, doesn’t it always make sense to purchase a frame as soon as the new homologation comes out, as you’ll be getting less time with every year that passes since homologation?

On a similar note, is it common for major frame changes to happen once the current homologation expires and a ‘new’ chassis is homologated?

An expired chassis doesn’t become illegal to race. The end of the homologation just means the manufacturers get to design a new chassis, or apply a redesign to a current one. It’s a cycle between tires, chassis and engines every few years with the homologations.

To add to @JackMazury comment. It occassionally happens that a new homologation has a new set of rules (like how pods are mounted) which can make a chassis illegal for CIK sanctioned event.

But most ASN’s allow at least a year or two of cross over before taking on the new rule set and North America only has a couple CIK sanctioned events (i think).

Does America have any CIK sanctioned events? I don’t think SKUSA even requires CIK compliance except for KZ in Vegas. Margay is allowed to run and I don’t remember seeing their names on any homologation sheets recently but I could be mistaken.

Probably not :man_shrugging:

Short update to add this image that helps identify karts made prior to and after 2003 using sidepod brackets as a guide.

image b

3 Likes

Could you send me the email address please? Thank you

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that made me laugh :grin:

Found the email: [email protected]

From their site: OTK USA

They are very slow to respond (over a week from my request and it took asking twice to get a response) and they weren’t able to provide the chassis setup guide.

I’m speculating that they prefer a call because they said:

“If you have any doubts ; you can call our office of course (407) 438-7734”