Karting's Forgotten History

Street racing with go-karts in Penang, Malaysia. Around the late 70s.

5 Likes

Just a small comment it would be great to get a sense for where these photos were sourced! I’ve always wanted to see more vintage karting photos but figured the majority are in dusty photo albums in brother’s great-uncle twice removed attic to those that really know what they’re looking at.

Join the British Historic Kart Club group. It’s endless streams of epicness.

2 Likes

The Hong Kong GP, like Supernats but 40 years ago.

Damn, smallest of mistakes and you’re gonna have damage at best and probably DNF

Final round of 1967 World Championship at Monaco.

Vevey was also used that year

1 Like

USA vs Soviet Union

1 Like

Any idea what year this was? Surprised that they had a world class facility in the USSR. Curious what Howie Idelsons take on this is

1 Like

The biggest issue to building a kart circuit is procurement of land and planning permission. Neither issue, I hazard to guess, would be a problem under a communist regime who want to show off for an event. If the government says, build a world class kart track, I don’t think it’d be too demanding. That’s not to say it’s ‘correct’ because the market demand for actual world class karting facilities isn’t THAT high. The UK survived, even survives now, mostly only ex-RAF bases. The biggest race in N America is in a car park. Other things matter a lot more. It’s not an example of good ‘state spending’.

For those who haven’t seen this before

1 Like

It’s not so much the mechanics of how they managed to construct it; it’s how they had the knowledge to do so.

I don’t get the impression that Soviet bloc folks were very aware of motorsports or even performance cars when most didn’t even have a car, and if they did it was a Lada.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited to see this and be shown a different side of USSR and their capabilities, I’m just super curious.

The Soviets had their own race series - Formula Easter - Wikipedia . Wasn’t exactly an F1, but yeah they had racing. Soviets had their owns karts too. the first Hungarian GP was in 86 behind the iron curtain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znIo2dvaVas

I think Rotax did some of the engine manufacturer in east germany too iirc.

Why not do a world tour in karts?