Sim Racing Megatopic

I’ll add this to the list of brands to reach out to for site sponsors :laughing:

1 Like

Gear and stuff is fun. Can’t we get paid or something? Like if traffic actually buys anything?

I got back in rig. It was fun, actually.

I think I will try to sim 1/2 hr to 1 hr daily, again. It was productive getting back in rig and I found some new learnings since I had given it a rest. Racing w/ Nick this Sunday.

1 Like

@Richard_Jacques

• Southern Iran registered a heat index value — the apparent “feels like” temperature to the human body — of 152 degrees Fahrenheit on Sunday. Heat indexes of 160 are widely considered the upper threshold of what humans can endure.

Tell me about your neck of the world. Are you feeling similar as Iran?

Indoor karting sounds good right about now.

Our Endurance race this weekend was not particularly hot but me and the lads all noticed the signs of heat stroke. Which is odd considering the day was dominated by rain.

"Researchers at Pennsylvania State University who study the effects of heat and humidity on the human body have found that even young, healthy people begin to overheat in conditions starting at about 100 degrees and 60 percent humidity, or, in another heat-index configuration, 88 degrees and 100 percent humidity.

Prolonged exposure to such conditions, they said, could cause life-threatening heat stroke.

It was not clear whether the weather data was taken on the airport’s tarmac, which could have affected the readings. Tarmacs, which are generally paved with asphalt, are notorious for being significantly hotter than other areas,"

The enduro was 100% humidity and mid to high 80,s coincidentally. Was not expecting heat stress migraines.

Hey Dom

Yeah it’s often like that especially this time of year when the humidity is high. Right now it’s 06:43 am, 31 (88) deg but 85% humidity with a ‘feels like’ 48 (118). Later it will nudge 50, with humidity it can easily get to a feels like of 60 or 70.

Karting in that is brutal, it was under such conditions I over hydrated (I think we discussed over hydration a couple of years back right? It’s a thing 100%) not only that the kart slides all over the place because the track gets slippery, easy to lose 4-5 seconds on your normal lap time in less humid conditions

Heat stroke generally isn’t a thing here, when you live and work in such conditions it’s true your body gets acclimatized. But yeah push yourself in it without replacing fluid AND electrolyte you can definitely suffer

Edit: Anybody reading this who didn’t see our discussion about over hydrating, essentially your body needs minerals and fluid. If you’re in a situation whereby you’re losing lots of fluid to sweat and drink lots and lots of water, you basically dilute those essential minerals by sweating them straight out with the water faster than your body can put them back. You need to make sure you’re replacing minerals and fluid, by adding electrolytes. After my episode I always drink at least half half Pocari and water if I’m doing track sessions in the heat. No issues whatsoever since I started doing that.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: (k)ART pulse

@KartingIsLife where is the “move” post again? I should move this to the art thing. I looked at wrench but it doesn’t seem to have the move tool.

There’s two wrenches which is kinda annoying. You need to use the one at the bottom of the topic.

Additionally annoying is that the “select posts” option is hard to read because there’s no contrast. Just tap the top of the pop in menu and you’ll be able to select the posts.

1 Like

So when I click on wrench at bottom, this is what I’m seeing now. In the past I have been able to move topics, tho.

There’s another wrench further down… where the number of replies is…

Aaaaaahhhh. It’s at the very bottom of thread, not the post you want to move. Thanks

In the early days of Team Slapshot Racing, driver order was uncertain. Veteran racer, Warren Chamberlin joined forces with rising British sidecar champion, Dom Callan for the 1973 season. In this early race, Warren surrendered the wheel to his new racing partner to see what pace the young star might have on tap. Their unfortunate DNF confirmed that Warren would drive the rest of the season and that Dom would be the ballast.

I was watching a sidecar race at Sears Point (T11 hairpin) many moons ago. Some guy ‘spun’ (aka went 90 degrees and then tipped on it’s side), which threw his ‘monkey’ (girlfriend or wife) out onto the track. With her weight gone, the rig tipped back onto it’s wheels and he rolled it into the infield. He spent the rest of the race getting an earful from his VERY PISSED girlfriend or wife. :rofl:

1 Like

Me: Hey Kate wannna come race sidecars with me?
I need someone to ride in back and keep the vehicle planted.

Her: Are you saying I’m fat?

Does this sidecar make me look fat?

Um… no that’s the Le Mans tail. :joy:

1 Like

It’s like riding a bike

Napoleon Dynamite Bike GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Did more laps tonight and found improvement. It does seem you can take time off and find the pace you were at pretty quickly. I think I took about a month off and I managed to be in the ballpark by the end of the first session back. By day 3, my optimal is back down where it was before I took the time off from sim.

I think I’ve come back a bit stronger in that the time off allows you to re-experience the lap with fresh eyes. I noticed some changes to be made and found a bit more consistency in the final turn, for example.

It’s so pleasant, to me, in KartKraft, to be able to either really think about what you are doing or to just zone out and carve some turns. The driving is good enough to be able to suspend disbelief (at least it is for me in vr) and sometimes it’s like taking your car out for a cruise and just getting sorta lost in your thoughts while hooning a bit. Particularly if you have tunes on in the background, and the fan sorta simulates the wind, I suppose.

It’s nice to be driving again and I think I’m better off for it. I feel like the past few days of sim reawakened some senses that have been napping or something. Nothing dramatic but the simming seems to help keep the brain sharp and your progression, moving.

1 Like

@hallkbrdz

Bryan,
Came across this on Instagram and I wanted to ask you if this was a dumb idea. This is an electric board. She places a large battery pack in the middle.

One assumes that powerful batteries and water don’t mix. Is this feasible or foolish?

Thanks,
-Dom

Because, to me, that’s like trying to get a little pregnant.

Either I’m in or I’m out.

Double entendre unintentional but there it is. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Why not both?

Probably OK on a lake… Sea water, might be a bit spicier. But then again, I would hope they’ve done a lot of work in the sealing department.

1 Like

So you either identify as a simmer, or you don’t? :joy:

But seriously, while I have one, I don’t need a sim because I am a sim. Every time I walk, I (mind, body & soul) am performing an extremely detailed simulation of driving by simultaneously functioning as both a racing vehicle and a driver. So I experience walking like it’s driving… feeling load transfer… not just in general, but in great details across the full contact patch of my feet/shoes as I go through the phases of a corner? I can induce rotational forces with my upper body (driving inputs) and feel them propagate over time through my waist to my ‘contact patches’, and then back up to my upper body as ‘forces’ that influence my ‘line’ and ‘trajectory’.

Then again, I might be a bit crazy. :rofl: