KZ vs IAME 175 SS or SSE (as the replacement to the Honda CR125)

10ES stock/sealed class. Claimer rule. Makes too much sense to be popular in karting

Nothing wrong with KZ, not sure why people are so vehement to eradicate multi-manufacturer racing in the pursuit of parity (which, as a concept, I think it’s totally misguided). The fact KZ dominates should be worthy of celebration. It’s a lively vibrant class, not another dull spec-series devoid of character.

gearbox karting is too small a market anyway to have a ‘spec’ program that can gain traction long term imo. Cr125 stock moto worked mainly because it was a mass produced engine outside of karting. but as a general market the relative small numbers, manufacturers and importers find it difficult to continually promote and support such an idea long term.

1 Like

Reggie,
Can you explain “claimer rule”?

@Bimodal_Rocket

I think your engine is better. Here’s the amount of money it says it costs to buy your engine in the rules, now give it to me or be suspended for the rest or the year.

1 Like

Ah so the series can buy your “massaged” engine if they feel it is “sus”.

Anyone can buy/claim anyone else’s engine.

Take the 206 concept and apply it to a shifter category. People liked stock honda because of the parity and simplicity.

Claimer rule keeps people from putting 15k into a 5k engine.

I understand. So, make a screamer at your own peril!

1 Like

CR125 were a mass produced engine, you’re never going to get that kind of thing with the numbers of engines the kart engine builder produce for the shifter categories. The class was basically subsidized by the mass market of CR125 bike buyers. It was, in effect, an illusion. Cr125 wouldn’t exist as a standalone karting project.

I would think that TM/ IAME/Vortex could supply demand if the class was supported. JMO.

There’s never gonna be sufficient demand in my view. And to be honest KZ just works. It’s a real racing class that seems to work. Spec- racing has never really made a big impression in the shifter scene, thankfully.

Cr125, worked, mainly because you had a support network subsidised by mass market conditions. Once those went, the class was done.

Stock Honda was notorious for terrible lack of parity. We’ve back-to-backed cylinders that were almost 4mph different down the straight at NCMP.

2 Likes

And on top of that, I’d just dispel few myths. The “$15K” KZ engine that has 2hp over anybody else is a plain myth. Take a Titan Red or Black power out of the box and test it against a top tune for WSK world (I’ve done it) and the differences are way smaller than what you’d think. Few hundred rpms on top may make a difference in a final with top drivers all racing with spot on jetting, but most of the drivers out there won’t even feel or be able to use the small difference. Honda had those unicorn engines (and SSE does too, much less of a gap but it’s still there). Big teams would buy lots, dyno them, keep the good for their racing team and sell the least powerful to the public. Everybody happy because “it’s spec”, but differences were pretty deep and could be exploited.
Maintenance intervals if you are super competitive don’t matter, honda or SSE or KZ you always run fresh anyways. If you are amateur or doing laps you can stretch KZ intervals (Iame gives two intervals, competitive and amateur). When you are jetting on the safe side, they are pretty much bullet proof

1 Like

What I like about KZ, and these types of classes in highly competitive environments, is that you never have to have parity debates. You just go “build a better engine then mate, bye bye”. No shenanigans. No buying 1000 engines and keeping the best one for 5 years… just racing. If you’re engine isn’t quick enough, that’s your problem not mine, do a better job.

Oddly enough the classes like this tend to, and I use this very cautiously (complexity in these formula breeds issues), create closer (and at least more interesting) racing anyhow.

The notion of the pursuit of ‘fairness’ does make me shudder in properly competitive environments. It’s kill or be killed in racing, lets be honest about it. At least with KZ is thew name of the game, not hidden away under the concept of ‘spec’ racing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can tell you that TM KZ (ES & std KZ motors), Honda CR stock moto, X125, & ROK KZ are allowed to run together in the SIMA club shifter series. Seems to work just fine.