Leaded gas exhaust and Kids

I like where this is headed @Charles_Kaneb :fist:t4:

Legitimately cool idea. Good luck with the race.

If you are concerned about lead levels while on the grid you might look at a battery powered fan to really move the air by your driver quickly. A little waft of fumes is nowhere near as bad as just sitting in it!

This is something I cant believe we are still talking about, especially how kid-centric of a sport this is. It’s been well established the harmful, cognitive effects, that even small amounts of lead exposure can have on kids, it’s something you don’t want to mess around with. Yet, we knowingly expose them to it every time we go to the track.
Europe has banned the fuel for competition for years, and they are clearly still able to operate their engines just fine, its time we catch up, we are long overdue. I will be addressing this with my local club leaders and I encourage you do the same, it’s pretty ridiculous how many people are nonchalant about this subject.

4 Likes

I thought I would bump this thread.

Any movement in getting leaded fuels removed form karting competition in the US?

I was surprised to see how many karts were running leaded fuel at my local track. Even cadets were using the stuff. As someone with young kids who will eventually start karting, this is a bit concerning. While the exposure may be minimal, it seems like an entirely avoidable risk if nearly all motors run fine on unleaded alternatives.

1 Like

The Aspen Fuel is gaining traction but I wouldn’t say that it’s the industry standard yet.

Many tracks at least partially run unleaded fuel as the 4 strokes can run pump gas.

What is tricky about hi tolerance 2 strokes is the lead content aids in lubricating the engine. Aspen does appear to have brought something to market that is an improvement on this, however.

I am sure there measurable benefits when running leaded fuel, but those are almost certainly outweighed by the known risks of lead exposure. I am not aware of any karting engine that requires leaded fuel. I am not aware of any major European karting series that allows leaded fuel. Are they not running the same or similar engine packages as we do in the US?

We know from decades of research that there is no safe level of exposure. As others have stated, karting is kid centric sport. We may literally be poisoning the sports future by allowing leaded fuels at tracks.

Yes, those concerned could run their kids in 4 stroke classes, but there is no avoiding 2 stroke exhaust in the paddock, pits, or trackside.

As of yet, I just haven’t come across a compelling reason to allow these fuels to be used.

Main issue is you’d certainly drive up the cost. The unleaded race fuels are considerably more expensive than the leaded versions. I’m guessing that’s due to the volume that’s moved, but can’t say for certain. Stock cars mostly run leaded fuel and they use much more than karts do, I’m unsure of what dirt bikes use primarily.

As far as I can tell, cost should be a non-issue. Sunoco Supreme 112 leaded is around $120-130. VP C9 or C10 or similar high octane fuels are around $120 or less. If cost was a concern, it seems like following the European model mandating lower octane unleaded fuels would be the way to go.

1 Like

Sunoco 110 leaded is much cheaper around here than the Supreme 112. Couple years ago I ran the Sunoco 260gtx which is a 98 unleaded, but it was much pricier to do so. The issue with using pump has is not everywhere in the US has high enough octane pump gas to work without altering engines. I’m not saying I’m opposed, but it’s one of the hurdles.

In SoCal, we can run VP 101 unleaded, or Sunoco SS100, available at the pump for the same $10/gallon that leaded racing gasoline costs.

East of the Rockies, 93 octane pump gas has always been satisfactory all the way up to KZ.

I currently run 4 stroke, so help me understand what needs to be altered on an engine to run a lower octane fuel? Something more than basic tuning? The Rok shifter says to run 95 RON fuel (93 octane AKI). The same is true for the X30 shifter most of the Iame engines. It seems to reason that out of the box these engines would do just fine on C9 or even most pump gas.

If you can get 93aki fuel… I can’t speak for the entire West coast, but at least in the PNW usually the highest you see is 91aki. Locally for us at least Sunoco is the easiest race gas to get. Bulk 110 leaded is $10/gal or so I believe. If you buy it in the pail I believe it’s 12 or 13. The unleaded race gas can only be had in the pail and is around $20/gal. To run on the pump fuel available here we’d probably have to increase squish and likely adjust timing a tad.

California is also cursed with 91 AKI pump gas.

Look for CFN Cardlock stations, who’ll often carry racing gasoline at the pump. VP and Sunoco are the main brands for unleaded racing gasoline.

1 Like

No racing gas at a pump in my area anymore, there are areas in the state that do have them but not where I am. Not enough race tracks I guess. There used to be one that had 100 unleaded but it was oxygenated so wouldn’t pass tech.

Oxygenated fuel will make more power.

If it’s not legal at your track - change the rules!~

2 Likes

What’s the rationale though?

To get an unleaded fuel that won’t cause engines to blow up. This is important in 91-land.

1 Like